or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Tour Talk › 2014 U.S. Opens (Plural!) at Pinehurst #2 Discussion Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

2014 U.S. Opens (Plural!) at Pinehurst #2 Discussion Thread - Page 35

post #613 of 1034
Unless he takes a total dump and Fowler or someone else plays lights out I don't see Kaymer not being the Champ this time tomorrow evening... He has played very well and actually made this tourney this far look easy
post #614 of 1034
Fowler beat kaymer by 5 strokes today....just saying.
post #615 of 1034
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatwoodtigerdo View Post

Fowler beat kaymer by 5 strokes today....just saying.

 

 

While Martin played great so far, I wouldn't mind seeing Ricky win the Open. Then again if Martin wins, it will be a well deserved win.

post #616 of 1034
I hope Rickie or Compton can force a playoff
post #617 of 1034
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJH999 View Post

I hope Rickie or Compton can force a playoff

Are they still doing 18 hole playoffs? I can't remember if the USGA changed it or not, and I'm unsure how I'll feel if Tiger v Rocco is the final 18 hole playoff.
post #618 of 1034
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shindig View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJH999 View Post

I hope Rickie or Compton can force a playoff

Are they still doing 18 hole playoffs? I can't remember if the USGA changed it or not, and I'm unsure how I'll feel if Tiger v Rocco is the final 18 hole playoff.

 

Yep, they're still doing the 18 hole playoff, and if it's still tied after 90 holes, it goes to sudden death. 

post #619 of 1034
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatwoodtigerdo View Post

Fowler beat kaymer by 5 strokes today....just saying.

Kaymer beat Rickie by five strokes in round one and five strokes in round two. Kaymer didn't play nearly as well today as he did those days, and he was still nearly two full shots better than the field (72 v. 73.8). 

 

There were only two under par round (Fowler and Compton), and only five even par rounds (Johnson, Stenson, Rose, Dubuisson, Mulroy). 

 

Point is, even when Kaymer has played poorly, his poorly has been better than everyone else's poorly. If the course is more difficult tomorrow (which it prob will be) he still has a five shot lead. If he shoots two strokes better than the field, I can't imagine Fowler or Compton or anyone else making a serious charge. 

post #620 of 1034
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbishop15 View Post
 

Kaymer beat Rickie by five strokes in round one and five strokes in round two. Kaymer didn't play nearly as well today as he did those days, and he was still nearly two full shots better than the field (72 v. 73.8). 

 

There were only two under par round (Fowler and Compton), and only five even par rounds (Johnson, Stenson, Rose, Dubuisson, Mulroy). 

 

Point is, even when Kaymer has played poorly, his poorly has been better than everyone else's poorly. If the course is more difficult tomorrow (which it prob will be) he still has a five shot lead. If he shoots two strokes better than the field, I can't imagine Fowler or Compton or anyone else making a serious charge. 

If Kaymer plays the same as he did and Fowler and/or Compton play the same as they did then Kaymer loses. Personally, I'd rather see a good tight run or play off.

post #621 of 1034
We need more 18 hole playoffs in our lives! 6 years is far too long. If everything would have gone right, we could have had playoffs since Tiger V Rocco
2009:Duval shoulda avoided the Triple and bogey on 17
2010:French guy shoulda made his birdie
2011:I'm convinced YE Yang shoulda shot 59 on sunday
2012:McDowell badly missed,Furyk choked
2013:Mickelson shoulda holed out
Not enough playoffs I tell ya
post #622 of 1034
Anybody pick Kaymer to win in the driver contest?

I know I picked him second but I also know it was a wasted pick because somebody else already had him second at the same score. (Whoops).
d2_doh.gif

I did look back before I picked but I missed it.
post #623 of 1034
Quote:
Originally Posted by MS256 View Post

Anybody pick Kaymer to win in the driver contest?

I know I picked him second but I also know it was a wasted pick because somebody else already had him second at the same score. (Whoops).
d2_doh.gif

I did look back before I picked but I missed it.
Nah but I'll win if Jim Furyk shoots 60--and gets help
post #624 of 1034
I need Kaymer to collapse and Dustin Johnson to shoot 67; then all of my predictions would prove correct!
post #625 of 1034

The big edge Kaymer has on Fowler is he's a closer. He closed at Sawgrass and at Whistling Straits. Fowler does not have a reputation of shooting good final rounds on the big stage.

 

Still, anything can happen tomorrow....like I said before, Goosen was the iceman who no one thought had any chance in the world of blowing a 3-shot lead the last time the Open was held here and look what happened. It'd be great for drama to see Kaymer back up some, but at the same time, the golf needs elite players to step up, and I do think Kaymer has that ability to be "elite". A second major at his age would be a good stepping stone in his career and good for the game.

post #626 of 1034
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisP View Post

The big edge Kaymer has on Fowler is he's a closer. He closed at Sawgrass and at Whistling Straits. Fowler does not have a reputation of shooting good final rounds on the big stage.

Still, anything can happen tomorrow....like I said before, Goosen was the iceman who no one thought had any chance in the world of blowing a 3-shot lead the last time the Open was held here and look what happened. It'd be great for drama to see Kaymer back up some, but at the same time, the golf needs elite players to step up, and I do think Kaymer has that ability to be "elite". A second major at his age would be a good stepping stone in his career and good for the game.
Yeah but at Sawgrass he sure did make it interesting
post #627 of 1034
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilli Dipper View Post

I need Kaymer to collapse and Dustin Johnson to shoot 67; then all of my predictions would prove correct!


I only need Phil to shoot a 62, and have his -3 be the winning score & there will be a new driver in my bag.

Think about the media frenzy that would create (yeah, that isn't happening)

post #628 of 1034
Quote:
Originally Posted by MS256 View Post

Anybody pick Kaymer to win in the driver contest?

I know I picked him second but I also know it was a wasted pick because somebody else already had him second at the same score. (Whoops).
d2_doh.gif

I did look back before I picked but I missed it.

I think three of us picked him to win. a2_wink.gif
post #629 of 1034
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJH999 View Post


Yeah but at Sawgrass he sure did make it interesting

 

They're not calling for any rain delays today at Pinehurst, unforunately.

post #630 of 1034
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisP View Post

They're not calling for any rain delays today at Pinehurst, unforunately.
We can hope, or use a hose. :D
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Tour Talk
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Tour Talk › 2014 U.S. Opens (Plural!) at Pinehurst #2 Discussion Thread