Originally Posted by skydog
To me it sounds like your course issues stem from the superintendent and not mother nature. First off, I'm surprised to hear that the course had bent to begin with or was trying to go back to it; unless the course has boat loads of money to spend on water/fertilizer, etc. (like Augusta), that just seems like a recipe for disaster in the deep South. Even up here in Virginia only a handful of high $ clubs try to make bent work. The majority are all Bermurda. Secondly, even a cold winter like what we just had shouldn't have killed off the bermuda like that...I guess since it was more recently added the roots just weren't strong enough yet, but still, I think someone might not be doing their job right.
Originally Posted by wils5150
lol blame the superintendent. First of we dont know what strain of bermuda they had to begin with. Older strains can be less hardy than the new ones. I am guessing the went with bent to get fast germination because it wasnt warm enough for bermuda. Correct me if I am wrong ms256. Mother nature is a fickle bitch at time and no superintendent of the amount of money will change that just look at all the damage up here in the Northeast.
Actually that course was bent grass for the last 20 years and always had the reputation of being some of the best greens consistently in north Alabama, thanks in no small part to the superintendent/owner.
He made the decision to go to Bermuda because he was tired of working himself to death with bent in the summer. We tilled the greens and put tift dwarf sprigs out and last summer the Bermuda greens were as good as Bermuda can get.
If any mistake was made it was making the decision of not spending the substantial money to buy covers for the greens.
@wil5150 is exactly right. The only chance of getting golfers on the golf course to pay the bills was to plant back with bent grass at least on one nine (which we did) and we are allowing some play to bring in some money.
Anyway...The plan as of right now is to continue with the bent on the front nine (which is coming along pretty well) and seed the back with a strand of Bermuda that the nursery says they are having luck with as far north as Nashville without covers.
I am also taking plugs from the one live green we have (the putting green) and plugging the greens on the back nine. Looks like the front could be fairly decent in a week or two and at least pay the bills and we will just have to see how soon we can get the back open.
Here are some pics of the plugs I cut from the putting green today and put on a back nine dead green.
I'll try to get a pic of how the bent greens on the front are coming along tomorrow. Needless to say I didn't have much time today.