or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Pro Shop › Clubs, Grips, Shafts, Fitting › High hcp beginner golfer, new driver for medium clubhead speed (104mph) ?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

High hcp beginner golfer, new driver for medium clubhead speed (104mph) ?

post #1 of 40
Thread Starter 

At the moment I've been using my dad's old club, but he's graciously sponsoring my golf hobby a little bit here.

 

I got kind of worried now, I think I'm gonna buy a driver for myself tomorrow... but I''m totally clueless!!!

club head speed is 104mph average.

 

My previous driver was big bertha regular flex.

 

-I'm considering standard cobra biocell, or biocell plus at this moment. In stock stiff flex. Loft is adjustable in both clubs it seems. I tried already the standard biocell, it was ok it seemed, but I stil have swing fault of hitting down on the ball it seems,

 

-other considerationg is Mizuno jpx EZ

 

-or taylormade rbz 2

 

I'm gonna try out those clubs (because they look nice!)

 

But i'm open to suggestions for a new beginner driver club. Scared but excited at the same time !:drool:

post #2 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by late347 View Post
 

At the moment I've been using my dad's old club, but he's graciously sponsoring my golf hobby a little bit here.

 

I got kind of worried now, I think I'm gonna buy a driver for myself tomorrow... but I''m totally clueless!!!

club head speed is 104mph average.

 

My previous driver was big bertha regular flex.

 

-I'm considering standard cobra biocell, or biocell plus at this moment. In stock stiff flex. Loft is adjustable in both clubs it seems. I tried already the standard biocell, it was ok it seemed, but I stil have swing fault of hitting down on the ball it seems,

 

-other considerationg is Mizuno jpx EZ

 

-or taylormade rbz 2

 

I'm gonna try out those clubs (because they look nice!)

 

But i'm open to suggestions for a new beginner driver club. Scared but excited at the same time !:drool:

That's not what I would consider medium clubhead speed for an amature. Also, the manufacturer of the club head isn't something you need to factor in swing speed into so much as the loft of it and the shaft that is in it. So, I would focus more on what loft and shaft you need and then figure out which club head you want.

post #3 of 40

Maybe this is a perfect example of why you should get a proper fitting. It certainly takes a lot of the guesswork out of finding a club to suit your swing, although looks does tend to get your attention first. 

post #4 of 40
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremie Boop View Post
 

That's not what I would consider medium clubhead speed for an amature. Also, the manufacturer of the club head isn't something you need to factor in swing speed into so much as the loft of it and the shaft that is in it. So, I would focus more on what loft and shaft you need and then figure out which club head you want.


If this is true, I think I will opt for Cobra... Sleek and deadly... Fast and precise... B-)

 

It's got really easily adjustable loft setting so it can be adjusted to, if I manage to fix my driver swing, hit more upwards on the ball.

 

Question seems to be, either normal biocell, or biocell plus.

 

I was also trying out Ping g25 today and I was quite consistent with that driver also. I hit like 100 balls with that one. It is a very good club also, but I like the looks of the i25 more (racing stripes better than the center icon of the g25)

 

I just can't seem to get the i25 in my country from any retailer at this point.

post #5 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by late347 View Post
 


If this is true, I think I will opt for Cobra... Sleek and deadly... Fast and precise... B-)

 

It's got really easily adjustable loft setting so it can be adjusted to, if I manage to fix my driver swing, hit more upwards on the ball.

 

Question seems to be, either normal biocell, or biocell plus.

Do you have the option of trying both on a simulator or something similar? The best way is as Nemicu said, get a fitting. If there is a store near you where they have the ability to let you hit multiple club\shaft combinations and give you numbers you'll get the most out of your purchase. Unfortunately I didn't have that luxury.

post #6 of 40
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremie Boop View Post
 

Do you have the option of trying both on a simulator or something similar? The best way is as Nemicu said, get a fitting. If there is a store near you where they have the ability to let you hit multiple club\shaft combinations and give you numbers you'll get the most out of your purchase. Unfortunately I didn't have that luxury.

yea they got flight scope but limited inventory of manufacturers ( no ping clubs for example )

 

I don't want ugly golf clubs, so I discarded those from consideration! makes it easier to narrow down the options. ;-)

post #7 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by late347 View Post
 

yea they got flight scope but limited inventory of manufacturers ( no ping clubs for example )

 

I don't want ugly golf clubs, so I discarded those from consideration! makes it easier to narrow down the options. ;-)

Yep, easy then, go there and tell them you want to buy a driver and try out as many as you can. Then from there it's just a matter of comparing the results to choose the best fit.

post #8 of 40

105 SS is pretty fast for someone with your handicap. I would guess that you want to get your swing in shape before getting fitted. $300 for a driver you might need to change later is not a tiny investment.

 

Don't make the same mistakes I did, it can get pretty expensive and time consuming.

 

I plan to get fitted in a few months, with what I am hoping will be my swing for years to come.

post #9 of 40
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lihu View Post
 

105 SS is pretty fast for someone with your handicap. I would guess that you want to get your swing in shape before getting fitted. $300 for a driver you might need to change later is not a tiny investment.

 

Don't make the same mistakes I did, it can get pretty expensive and time consuming.

 

I plan to get fitted in a few months, with what I am hoping will be my swing for years to come.

on the other hand... if the argument is true "it's the indian not the bow and arrow"

 

Especially adjustable loft`? Like cobra drivers? But they will have nike, cobra, taylormade, and callaway in the store so I will try out maybe nike driver also.

 

What could really go wrong with a new club? My dad actually said that he wants his old club back because it's an old big bertha and my dad loves that club.

 

My dad would rather buy me a new club instead of permanently gifting me his old big bertha!:banana:

post #10 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by late347 View Post
 

on the other hand... if the argument is true "it's the indian not the bow and arrow"

 

Especially adjustable loft`? Like cobra drivers? But they will have nike, cobra, taylormade, and callaway in the store so I will try out maybe nike driver also.

 

What could really go wrong with a new club? My dad actually said that he wants his old club back because it's an old big bertha and my dad loves that club.

 

My dad would rather buy me a new club instead of permanently gifting me his old big bertha!:banana:

 

Other things to consider are stiffness, kick point, weight, etc.

post #11 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lihu View Post
 

 

Other things to consider are stiffness, kick point, weight, etc.

Which is why I told him the shaft and loft of the club are much more important than the manufacturer of the clubhead.

post #12 of 40

@late347 do you play courses often or do you mainly hit on the range? I was wondering why your handicap is so high with that kind of swing speed? Putting and short game are not an answer I can believe. If you have a meager ability to putt and chip, you should be at least a 20 handicap. Where do you lose 28 strokes?

 

You might consider not using the driver at all for a bit, and give yourself a chance to understand your swing first before making any further investment.

post #13 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by late347 View Post
 

At the moment I've been using my dad's old club, but he's graciously sponsoring my golf hobby a little bit here.

 

I got kind of worried now, I think I'm gonna buy a driver for myself tomorrow... but I''m totally clueless!!!

club head speed is 104mph average.

 

My previous driver was big bertha regular flex.

 

-I'm considering standard cobra biocell, or biocell plus at this moment. In stock stiff flex. Loft is adjustable in both clubs it seems. I tried already the standard biocell, it was ok it seemed, but I stil have swing fault of hitting down on the ball it seems,

 

-other considerationg is Mizuno jpx EZ

 

-or taylormade rbz 2

 

I'm gonna try out those clubs (because they look nice!)

 

But i'm open to suggestions for a new beginner driver club. Scared but excited at the same time !:drool:

 

Check out the Bio Cell Plus, it has gotten great reviews from a few members on this sight. 

post #14 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by saevel25 View Post
 

 

Check out the Bio Cell Plus, it has gotten great reviews from a few members on this sight. 


This is a very interesting club.

 

Have you had a chance to try it out?

post #15 of 40
Thread Starter 
My short game is not stellar most of my duffs and shanks some from approach shots. Threeputt is sort of average for me. Im already excited about twoputts!!!

Inaccuracy with wedges and short irons etc contributes with less GiR being achieved.

I played really crappy on those water par5 holes that we have on local course. I used to have no control at all with driver. Hybrid + midiron is better choice definitely if I want to attack the par4-5 from the close tees.

My hcp is trending downwards from 30ish though. Every time I play I can seemingly improve it a little bit. Knock off a point or two with each game.

I play about once per week. My home course is really short yardage but theres water on some longer holes. The short yardage causes the course sloping to fall down (its easier for bogey golfers).

I started golf only last autumn and had winter break. This spring Ive been out there golfing on course 5-6 times. ( hcp from 36,4 to 30,0 )

Bad lies in rough and sloping lies are sort of problematic sometimes... for golf beginner.

I try to remember what Martin Hall teaches on golf channel about sloping lies, when im getting ready to hit the shot!!!lol

Strangely enough im more confident and effective in all bunker shots...on fairway or near green.
post #16 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lihu View Post
 


This is a very interesting club.

 

Have you had a chance to try it out?

 

Nope, I am not jinxing my SLDR!!! LOVE IT!!! 

 

LOFT UP!!! 

 

It is tough to be a driver that gets me 15-17 degrees of launch with 2100-1700 rpm, that has a LEGIT Fujikura Tour Spec golf shaft in it. I mean, the thing is a MONSTER!!!  Seriously man, I hit my 910 a long way, I airmail my old drives, it is totally stupid really. I hit a drive last month I am just walking up shaking my head thinking, I never been there before. 

 

I wouldn't say the SLDR is a hot face. I think it actually isn't compared to the Jetspeed or something like the R1. It just optimizes my launch conditions so much better. I mean I am taking about 700-1000 less rpm. 

 

All I can say is, BOOM!! 

 

 

From what hear though the Bio Cell is a very low spinning driver as well. So its in the realm of possibilities for me. It probably would have been a contender if it was out when I was testing the SLDR. 

post #17 of 40
Thread Starter 
Oh dude gratz on good drives!

Good old boy from kentucky j.b.holmes uses taylormade sldr too.

I will give it a try. Especially sice theres a fade setting as well in that driver. It looks shiny and very sci-fi - like an alien tool or weapon !
post #18 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by saevel25 View Post
 

 

Nope, I am not jinxing my SLDR!!! LOVE IT!!! 

 

 

From what hear though the Bio Cell is a very low spinning driver as well. So its in the realm of possibilities for me. It probably would have been a contender if it was out when I was testing the SLDR. 

 

Yeah, I remember that you are sold on SLDR.I like it too, checking out some sales this weekend.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by late347 View Post

My short game is not stellar most of my duffs and shanks some from approach shots. Threeputt is sort of average for me. Im already excited about twoputts!!!

My hcp is trending downwards from 30ish though. Every time I play I can seemingly improve it a little bit. Knock off a point or two with each game.

 

You should update your HC in your profile. 30 is still high, but at least more reasonable.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Clubs, Grips, Shafts, Fitting
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Pro Shop › Clubs, Grips, Shafts, Fitting › High hcp beginner golfer, new driver for medium clubhead speed (104mph) ?