or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Golf Talk › Goofy Rory video - Knee angle measurement in golf swing?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Goofy Rory video - Knee angle measurement in golf swing? - Page 2

post #19 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvmac View Post
 

 

They are basically saying Rory and Hogan's swings sucks and if they swung more like their guy they would play better.

 

It's comical on many levels. 

- Using Hogan and the fact that he was winless as some proof of something

- Any golfer would kill for Rory's first seven years as a pro

- Drawing lines and comparing golfers from different angles/positions and turning them into percentages

- It's a "performance institute" and yet they are only using videos you can find on youtube

- The narrator's voice

- Pogo stick kid

- The assumption that they have some "secret"

- Saying there is a way to set-up that centrifugal force won't effect you, which is funny on many levels

- Saying that someone can hit it 350 and 90% of the fairways and then assuming that Rory could do this on the PGA Tour.

- That old guy's grip

And I'm sure there is more that I can't come up with right now

 

Ugh. I'm not sure they understand brand identity. Partly because there is nothing specific to identify.

post #20 of 54
The funniest part to me at the start is them saying that "range" has nothing to do with accuracy. If that were true , why isn't everyone swinging like John Daly?
post #21 of 54

In Soviet Rssssa, golf club swing you!

 

Wow. I don't think I can get thru this. 

post #22 of 54
I couldn't watch it all the way through. Like watching a train wreck, I had to turn away. Comparing a golf swing to a rocket launch? Saying Rory's swing is crap because it is too Hoganesque?!!! Hogan beat 1000s of balls on the range because he didn't have video analysis and technology. He had to use trial and error.
post #23 of 54

Well, I'm only 7 minutes in, but what I'm seeing so far is mostly B.S. propoganda. The critique of Hogan's swing is laughable. Basically, the swing they are showing is the one Hogan used to become probably the best most consistent ball striker ever at his peak. 

 

What they are criticizing is that he didn't win in his first years as a pro, in the 1930s. But if they had bothered to look at his swing in those years, they would have known that he was then doing exactly what they are recommending, bending the left knee in and starting the downswing with the left knee kick. Hogan's period of dominance starts almost exactly when he stopped doing what they are teaching.

 

 

 

 

What do you see Hogan's knee doing in these videos?

post #24 of 54
Based on these posts, I watched the video... This has got to be one of the strangest golf videos I've ever seen. Are they selling that hip trainer thing? I don't get it...

I can envision the company's marketing department discussing what angle they should take to sell their product.

Marketing guy #1: "Let's bash Rory's swing over and over again, and let people know that if they don't buy our product, they may end up like him!"

Marketing guy #2: "I like that idea! Let's also tie Rory's problems to Hogan's swing. Heck, no one thinks Hogan had a good swing anyway. Oh, and to boot, let's throw some recent Tiger swings in there. Everyone knows his swing is in shambles."
post #25 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by boil3rmak3r View Post

Based on these posts, I watched the video... This has got to be one of the strangest golf videos I've ever seen. Are they selling that hip trainer thing? I don't get it...

I can envision the company's marketing department discussing what angle they should take to sell their product.

Marketing guy #1: "Let's bash Rory's swing over and over again, and let people know that if they don't buy our product, they may end up like him!"

Marketing guy #2: "I like that idea! Let's also tie Rory's problems to Hogan's swing. Heck, no one thinks Hogan had a good swing anyway. Oh, and to boot, let's throw some recent Tiger swings in there. Everyone knows his swing is in shambles."


It's a horrible marketing video. I didn't even realize they were selling something.

 

My attention span very short... especially when I'm watching BS, and the BS-o-meter was pegging. :doh:

post #26 of 54

Oh another thing, when they keep saying how much better Iron Byron is than Rory. Clearly they haven't seen this video:

 

post #27 of 54
Thread Starter 

Thank you all for the responses. I didn't realize it would bring up such ill feelings towards this company. 

 

I can say that some of the ideas I saw in the video do seem a bit out there, or stretching, but I figured that was because I didn't understand them. However, I did some research on alignment in the golf swing, and a lot of what they're saying is true. I should have directed my questions to the idea of measuring knee angle and alignment. 

 

The reason I'm asking is because I was looking for more control with my golf swing, and I've been taught to restrict my swing - which in turn has taken yards off of my drive. The video is saying that not restricting your backswing and focusing on your alignment and stability will give you the distance with the accuracy.

 

I have been practicing the last few days on keeping my hands on plane at address, and fixing my alignment - it has been successful, but it also is pushing my comfort with my swing. I do know if I want a good swing I need to give up the comfort. 

 

Anyways, I'm really overwhelmed with all the negative comments I got back, so maybe you guys can help me here.. 

 

How do I drive the ball farther and more accurate (Without restricting my backswing)? 

post #28 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleBlake View Post
 

Thank you all for the responses. I didn't realize it would bring up such ill feelings towards this company. 

 

I can say that some of the ideas I saw in the video do seem a bit out there, or stretching, but I figured that was because I didn't understand them. However, I did some research on alignment in the golf swing, and a lot of what they're saying is true. I should have directed my questions to the idea of measuring knee angle and alignment. 

 

The reason I'm asking is because I was looking for more control with my golf swing, and I've been taught to restrict my swing - which in turn has taken yards off of my drive. The video is saying that not restricting your backswing and focusing on your alignment and stability will give you the distance with the accuracy.

 

I have been practicing the last few days on keeping my hands on plane at address, and fixing my alignment - it has been successful, but it also is pushing my comfort with my swing. I do know if I want a good swing I need to give up the comfort. 

 

Anyways, I'm really overwhelmed with all the negative comments I got back, so maybe you guys can help me here.. 

 

How do I drive the ball farther and more accurate (Without restricting my backswing)? 

 

 

I'm not advertizing for it, but 5SK. Make a MySwing thread on this site, and many people can and will help you out.

post #29 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lihu View Post


I'm not advertizing for it, but 5SK. Make a MySwing thread on this site, and many people can and will help you out.

+1 Folks here are always willing to help. I've been seeing definite improvement since I started studying 5SK and signed up for Evolvr. I've seen too many gadgets and "foolproof methods" over the years. This makes sense.

BTW, The negative comments were not directed at you, but the video. a2_wink.gif
post #30 of 54

OK, I'm not laughing at this video although I can see why. I am totally creeped out by it. WTF is this place, some kind of cult? I wouldn't go near this place for fear of being imprisoned, brainwashed and I don't even want to think about what else. Forget about factual correctness and effectiveness. What's with the bloody hands? Thinking about going to this place? Fly, you fools!

post #31 of 54
Thread Starter 

Question - I just googled 5SK 

This is a place to find an instructor - I had the impression you were talking about a forum of some sort. 

I'll do some more research into 5SK, and thank you for the help (My instructor has basically turned me from a bad golfer into a worse golfer, and I am starting to understand why so many people are giving up on golf - they pay an instructor tons of money and see little to no improvement or in my case they end up worse then when they started). This is why I wanted to do the research on my own and regain my kind of bad game (At least it was enjoyable hitting 3 over par on average). 

post #32 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleBlake View Post
 

Question - I just googled 5SK 

This is a place to find an instructor - I had the impression you were talking about a forum of some sort. 

I'll do some more research into 5SK, and thank you for the help (My instructor has basically turned me from a bad golfer into a worse golfer, and I am starting to understand why so many people are giving up on golf - they pay an instructor tons of money and see little to no improvement or in my case they end up worse then when they started). This is why I wanted to do the research on my own and regain my kind of bad game (At least it was enjoyable hitting 3 over par on average). 

 

This should give you a head start: 

Introduction to the PureStrike/5 Simple Keys® (5SK) Learning System 

post #33 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleBlake View Post

The reason I'm asking is because I was looking for more control with my golf swing, and I've been taught to restrict my swing - which in turn has taken yards off of my drive. The video is saying that not restricting your backswing and focusing on your alignment and stability will give you the distance with the accuracy.
 

 

There's not so much wrong with that, if it's what works for you, it's more the trashing of other methods, which also work for many other golfers. Also the faked "scientific" evidence and misrepresentations. But if you only look at the examples they use of what they think are "good" golfers, yeah those guys were good golfers, and nothing wrong with swinging like them, if it works for you.

 

On the "restricting the backswing", I'm not sure how many people actually teach this. Some, like Hogan, teach not to over-rotate the hips, rather to keep the weight on the inside of the back foot, where you can get a strong push off, while coupling that with a full shoulder turn, getting maximum seperation between the hips and shoulders to generate power. Altogether though, that still makes for a generally complete and powerful backswing. And part of the point for Hogan of insisting on limiting the movement of the back knee, which slightly restricts that hip turn, was precisely to increase stability. For Hogan, additional movement of the legs only added inconsistency, while he could still get a strong aggressive hip turn without it.

 

Alternatively though, yes you can bend the front knee in, and maybe even lift the front foot, and allow the hips to turn even further in the backswing.  I don't know that this really adds power, generally. But if it works for you, great. There are certainly a number of good golfers who do these things, as well. 

 

I think the point of the PureStrike/5SK teaching that others are pointing you to here are that it emphasizes the 5 things that pretty much all good golfers do. Some of these other things are finer points of mechanics which some golfers do one way and some do another, and there's no point in getting ideological about them, you just need to find what fells most natural or works best for you.  A good instructor should understand enough about these different possible variations to help you do that, rather than just teach one way.

post #34 of 54
That was the most incredible 37 minutes of my life. Holy mother of god
post #35 of 54

I just couldn't finish..

 

Pogo stick?

Bag the bounce?

 

These guys are clowns.. Did anyone see the set up of their golfer?

 

If this guy is 350 of the T and 90% fairway that means he is basically 100 in on every par 4 and less than 150 on every par 5.. 0 tour wins.. haha

post #36 of 54

12:41 has to be one of the funniest things I've ever seen:

 

 

 

BTW, is the narrator the same guy who narrates Frontline? They sound so similar. :-D 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Golf Talk
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Golf Talk › Goofy Rory video - Knee angle measurement in golf swing?