or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Practice Range › Instruction and Playing Tips › Early wrist cock in takeaway
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Early wrist cock in takeaway

post #1 of 18
Thread Starter 
Can some one explain me where the advantages or disadvantages are in cocking the wrists early / late in the takeaway?
post #2 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reval14 View Post

Can some one explain me where the advantages or disadvantages are in cocking the wrists early / late in the takeaway?

I don't think there are significant advantages either way. IMO, you should just do what comes most naturally to you.

post #3 of 18

For me, if I cock my wrists early, I take the club too far to the inside, and the result is always a push, push/fade, or push/slice.

post #4 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reval14 View Post

Can some one explain me where the advantages or disadvantages are in cocking the wrists early / late in the takeaway?

 

There are great players that do both, Payne Stewart set it late, Nick Faldo set them early. I don't think it's something to worry about unless it's causing path/face issues, it's generally not something most players have to think about. 

post #5 of 18
Thread Starter 
My Pro changed my takeaway from a late wrist cock to an early one. Reason was because my backswing was to flat, the results are very good but it was very hard to get used to it. I personally still think a late wrist cock is a more natural motion.
post #6 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reval14 View Post

My Pro changed my takeaway from a late wrist cock to an early one. Reason was because my backswing was to flat, the results are very good but it was very hard to get used to it. I personally still think a late wrist cock is a more natural motion.

 

"Natural" changes from player to player. Sometimes "natural" is bad. I do things "naturally" in my swing that can cause me to hit bad shots.

post #7 of 18

I thought the wrist cock was supposed to happen by itself due to the weight shifting back forward during the back swing. I saw a video somewhere the other day that said if you set your wrist cock you were much more likely to lose the lag position if you set it instead of having it happen naturally. I wish I could remember where I saw it but I think it was a reputable place, rotary swing maybe. Do pros consciously set their wrists or just let it t happen on it's own?

post #8 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatwoodtigerdo View Post
 

I thought the wrist cock was supposed to happen by itself due to the weight shifting back forward during the back swing. I saw a video somewhere the other day that said if you set your wrist cock you were much more likely to lose the lag position if you set it instead of having it happen naturally. I wish I could remember where I saw it but I think it was a reputable place, rotary swing maybe. Do pros consciously set their wrists or just let it t happen on it's own?

 

I know some teaching pros that will advocate an earlier set regardless of the player's issues, try to fit them in a style of swing. Obviously I disagree with that. If it's not causing any problems then it doesn't need to be addressed. I've changed the rates/amount the wrists hinge with players but mostly do it through the grip, elbow locations or the pivot. 

 

For the pros, the vast majority of them aren't thinking about setting their wrists.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatwoodtigerdo View Post
 

I saw a video somewhere the other day that said if you set your wrist cock you were much more likely to lose the lag position if you set it instead of having it happen naturally. 

 

This guy sets it early and doesn't have any issue with lag ;-)

 

post #9 of 18

As a beginner I've been cocking early a lot at the range, primarily with driver, this early set got me feeling it right at the top, then I would stop and use the wide takeaway, looking for the same feeling at the top, it really works for me, I know it should be simple to just cock those wrists but I struggled with that, I think it also helped with lag, even though lag should be a natural thing with a proper swing, I still think it helped me not flip.

post #10 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvmac View Post
 

 

I know some teaching pros that will advocate an earlier set regardless of the player's issues, try to fit them in a style of swing. Obviously I disagree with that. If it's not causing any problems then it doesn't need to be addressed. I've changed the rates/amount the wrists hinge with players but mostly do it through the grip, elbow locations or the pivot. 

 

For the pros, the vast majority of them aren't thinking about setting their wrists.

 

 

This guy sets it early and doesn't have any issue with lag ;-)

 


At one point, I was making a conscious decision to cock my wrist early in the takeaway. Now, I don't really give it much thought.

 

IMO, the elbow positions seem much more critical. Now, I am attempting to work on weight transfer without moving my spine position, and consciously cocking the wrist back early seems to aggravate the mishits.

post #11 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvmac View Post
 

 

I know some teaching pros that will advocate an earlier set regardless of the player's issues, try to fit them in a style of swing. Obviously I disagree with that. If it's not causing any problems then it doesn't need to be addressed. I've changed the rates/amount the wrists hinge with players but mostly do it through the grip, elbow locations or the pivot. 

 

For the pros, the vast majority of them aren't thinking about setting their wrists.

 

 

This guy sets it early and doesn't have any issue with lag ;-)

 

 

Cool. I was just wondering because I need to learn to hold lag pretty badly and didn't want to do something wrong. If I try to set my wrist hinge and hold for the lag I have a hard time letting it go at all. I feel like when I started letting my wrists go by themselves it helped to stop losing the wrist position but that might be a figment of my imagination anyway. I haven't recorded lately so I will probably see tomorrow. 

 

And you are right. That guy seems to have no issue with lag unless of course he just casts from there, lol. I would find a way to mess that position up too. 

post #12 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatwoodtigerdo View Post
 

 

Cool. I was just wondering because I need to learn to hold lag pretty badly and didn't want to do something wrong. If I try to set my wrist hinge and hold for the lag I have a hard time letting it go at all. I feel like when I started letting my wrists go by themselves it helped to stop losing the wrist position but that might be a figment of my imagination anyway. I haven't recorded lately so I will probably see tomorrow. 

 

And you are right. That guy seems to have no issue with lag unless of course he just casts from there, lol. I would find a way to mess that position up too. 

 

We have an answer for everything on this site ;-)

 

 How to Effectively Create Lag on the Downswing 

post #13 of 18
Thread Starter 
Does someone know which Pros have an early wrist cock in their swing?
post #14 of 18
I cock my wrists early. In fact, I have them a little cocked during my address because I tend to have more forward lean in my club and I setup with my left hip slightly toward the target. Martin Hall on Golf Channel would take his right pointer finger and poke his right hip at adress to get his left hip more toward the target. My wrists naturally cock a little when I do this.
post #15 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reval14 View Post

Does someone know which Pros have an early wrist cock in their swing?

 

Off the top of my head, Johnny Miller, Nick Faldo, Lee Westwood, Ryan Moore, Jay Haas, Zach Johnson, Michelle Wie. Just thinking of the players that get the club "up" sooner than most and/or keep the butt of the club at about the same height on the takeaway.

post #16 of 18

Everything I read says that you shouldn't purposely cock your wrists.  Whenever I try it... I will hit it off the heel or worse. It should happen naturally when your right arm starts to fold.  

 

A lot of people lose their lag by early extending and losing their spine angle.  I'm guilty sometimes.

post #17 of 18
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvmac View Post

We have an answer for everything on this site a2_wink.gif

 How to Effectively Create Lag on the Downswing 

Thank you so much for this. You hit the nail on the head here. Recorded my swing and it definitely stood out. Played a round with a small bucket today and felt so much easier. Now just have to figure out how to do it. Like how shallow can I swing in the back swing and still have the possibility to get it in front. And can I just cast with the driver. Then figure out what my club face is doing different because my big draw turned straight and a pull on a miss. Got to love golf, when you find an answer new questions come lol. I am going to beat up the search feature here later today. But again thank you so much for this.
post #18 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkNballs View Post
 

It should happen naturally when your right arm starts to fold.  

 

A lot of people lose their lag by early extending and losing their spine angle.  I'm guilty sometimes.

 

Generally I agree, it should only be something to think about if something is off. Someone that gets the club head way in on the takeaway might need to feel the wrists hinging more to get the club to work "up" the diagonal sweetspot path.

 

Kinda like this, but I would check the grip first, make sure the grip is in the fingers, heel pad on top.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatwoodtigerdo View Post

 

 

I am going to beat up the search feature here later today. But again thank you so much for this.

 

Cool, go nuts ;-) 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Instruction and Playing Tips
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Practice Range › Instruction and Playing Tips › Early wrist cock in takeaway