or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Practice Range › Swing Thoughts › How to Grip a Golf Club, Commonalities of a Functional Golf Grip
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

How to Grip a Golf Club, Commonalities of a Functional Golf Grip - Page 4

post #55 of 63
The only thing to add, is grip it very lightly... Some folks have a great grip but unintentionally give it the power death squeeze..

Stay soft...
post #56 of 63
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfbarefoot View Post

The only thing to add, is grip it very lightly... Some folks have a great grip but unintentionally give it the power death squeeze..

Stay soft...

 

Agree that you shouldn't have "tension" in your forearms and wrists, but the club should be held pretty firmly. It should be firm enough that someone shouldn't be able to pull the club out of your hands. Having the grip positioned in the hands like I described helps secure a firm grip.

 

 Grip Pressure 

 

Quote:
 Studies have been conducted on PGA Tour players and average amateurs. What they found was that the average PGA Tour player has the capacity to grip a club more than two times as firmly as the average amateur. So let's say a PGA Tour player says he grips the club at a "3 or a 4" on a scale of 1-10. The average amateur is only capable of gripping the club to a 4 or a 5, so that makes his grip pressure anywhere from a 6 to a 10 if you extrapolate the scale! Everyone's "3 to 4" is not the same. 
post #57 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvmac View Post
 

 

Agree that you shouldn't have "tension" in your forearms and wrists, but the club should be held pretty firmly. It should be firm enough that someone shouldn't be able to pull the club out of your hands. Having the grip positioned in the hands like I described helps secure a firm grip.

 

 Grip Pressure 

 

This was hard for me to get used to but I really notice a difference when I put it into practice.  I used to firm up my grip and my elbows would go straight and tighten.  When I really focus on the right amount of pressure while relaxing (to an extent) my elbows and forearms, I really notice a difference in the ability to cup my wrist at impact which my latest my swing video showed me

post #58 of 63

What a difference in my iron play by stretching my left thumb down more. Before, I never thought much about it and wondered why my right hand never seems to stay in place on follow through.I have large, proximal knuckles on my thumbs so with a short thumb, my right hand slips off easy. Ball flight has a little tail to the right, missing greens on well struck balls. When I placed the left thumb in a more stretched position, I am able to cover it better with my right hand and it stays connected better. I don't stretch it as far as in pics and video here but it being longer now has created a much straighter shot. The hinging and release are improved. Thanks.

post #59 of 63

@mvmac ,

 

With regards to the left hand grip, and getting that heel of the hand to sit ontop of the grip. Would that feel more like there is more wrist angle, or the hands set lower at address than before, lets say if a person is more palmy. Wouldn't a palmy grip make the club handle more upright, unless the golfer makes an effort to keep the hands lower? 

post #60 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by saevel25 View Post

@mvmac
 ,

With regards to the left hand grip, and getting that heel of the hand to sit ontop of the grip. Would that feel more like there is more wrist angle, or the hands set lower at address than before, lets say if a person is more palmy. Wouldn't a palmy grip make the club handle more upright, unless the golfer makes an effort to keep the hands lower? 
I'm obviously not Mike, but I have noticed that, with the grip in my palm, my wrist tends to be more cocked at address, which actually lowers the handle.
post #61 of 63
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by saevel25 View Post
 

@mvmac ,

 

With regards to the left hand grip, and getting that heel of the hand to sit ontop of the grip. Would that feel more like there is more wrist angle, or the hands set lower at address than before, lets say if a person is more palmy. Wouldn't a palmy grip make the club handle more upright, unless the golfer makes an effort to keep the hands lower? 

 

Yes setting the heel pad on top will create more of an angle between the shaft and forearms. Red line would indicate a palmy grip, it's set in a different part of the hand so the orientation of the shaft will be different.

 

post #62 of 63

Hello everyone,

 

I was checking my grip the other day and noticed that when I adjust my grip so that the club face is square in an impact position (shaft leaning somewhat forward), and I then return to my address position (shaft still leaning slightly forward, but not as much as at impact) without adjusting my grip, the club face has closed.

 

Does this mean I should address the ball with a slightly closed club face, or do the dynamics of wrist movement during the swing take care of that in some way?

 

(As far as ball flight goes, the longer clubs do fade a bit (not a huge slice but definitely fading), while the short irons go straight left quite often.)

post #63 of 63
Thread Starter 

Jordan Spieth with the long left thumb, grip in the fingers of the right hand, pressure point 3 (first pad of the index finger) on the side of the shaft.

 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Swing Thoughts
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Practice Range › Swing Thoughts › How to Grip a Golf Club, Commonalities of a Functional Golf Grip