or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Tour Talk › Michelle Wie... Love Her or Hate her?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Michelle Wie... Love Her or Hate her? - Page 3

Poll Results: Michelle Wie... Love Her or Hate her?

 
  • 100% (37)
    Love her
  • 0% (0)
    Hate her
37 Total Votes  
post #37 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by legitimatebeef View Post

I am squarely in the middle. I can relate to a lot of the OP. She is a huge pre-Madonna.

I'm pretty sure she's post-Madonna....... a3_biggrin.gif
post #38 of 59

@misty_mountainhop,  I notice that Sir Tiger Woods also uses the word 'grinder' to describe a 'work day'  so Michelle Wie is not the only golfer of note  using a 'made-up' word.  And  i would hasten to add that English words can be made-up at will.  The  USA at least does not have a 'Proper Word Committee' as some countries do, eg. France and China. Don't know about UK.  Whether any made-up English word is accepted by the population is another story.  

 

Personally, i also find the word 'grinded' a bit off, and my computer spell check does not like it either. We all know the past tense of grind is ground, i think. I ground the coffee beans. 

 

  Yeah, it's a curious word with many meanings 

post #39 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by boogielicious View Post
 

She's adorable and finally matured into a professional.  I really enjoy watching her play.

 

couldn't have said it better.

 

I vote the world needs more Wie Kia commercials ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10nQ4IueEiA

post #40 of 59

LPGA needs Wie to do well, she's well known, dare I say a "star" of women's golf?  Can't ask for anything more, fun, attractive, fit and starting to live up to all the hype that surrounded her before she went to Stanford.

 

In the last few months (since Tiger's surgery) I've found the LPGA more fun to watch when Wie was contending than most weeks of the PGA Tour.

post #41 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by joekelly View Post
 

@misty_mountainhop,  I notice that Sir Tiger Woods also uses the word 'grinder' to describe a 'work day'  so Michelle Wie is not the only golfer of note  using a 'made-up' word.  And  i would hasten to add that English words can be made-up at will.  The  USA at least does not have a 'Proper Word Committee' as some countries do, eg. France and China. Don't know about UK.  Whether any made-up English word is accepted by the population is another story.  

 

Personally, i also find the word 'grinded' a bit off, and my computer spell check does not like it either. We all know the past tense of grind is ground, i think. I ground the coffee beans. 

 

  Yeah, it's a curious word with many meanings 

Hmm. I was being slightly ironic. However, I have little problem with 'grinder' - at least the word exists even if its use in the context of a golfer is slightly odd and recent. 'Grinded' makes no sense - as you point out, what's wrong with 'ground'????

 

As for Wie's golf, as I said, more power to her if she makes the most of her talent. Shame about the undoubted side show that'll always be associated with her now but media outlets and agents all need to make fortunes I guess.

post #42 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lihu View Post
 

 

I was kind of wondering how many people are in the "middle" as the poll is binary.

You are such the engineer @Lihu!

post #43 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by misty_mountainhop View Post
 

Hmm. I was being slightly ironic. However, I have little problem with 'grinder' - at least the word exists even if its use in the context of a golfer is slightly odd and recent. 'Grinded' makes no sense - as you point out, what's wrong with 'ground'????

 

Because "ground" has the connotation of physically smashing things (likely with a twisting motion), like one would do to coffee beans or pepper.

 

New words and uses for words are invented all the time, and the point of communication is to be understood. Do you understand what someone is saying when they say "I was really grinding out there" or "It was a grind today" or "I grinded my best and got the job done in the end."

post #44 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by iacas View Post
 

 

Because "ground" has the connotation of physically smashing things (likely with a twisting motion), like one would do to coffee beans or pepper.

 

New words and uses for words are invented all the time, and the point of communication is to be understood. Do you understand what someone is saying when they say "I was really grinding out there" or "It was a grind today" or "I grinded my best and got the job done in the end."


Although saying something was "a grind" has long been in common use. You're right of course about new words coming along all the time but I'm not sure what "grinded" adds when we already have "ground". I'm being a pedant I know - I wasn't that serious and it was obvious what Wie was saying, so job done re. the communication side.

post #45 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by misty_mountainhop View Post
 

Hmm. I was being slightly ironic. However, I have little problem with 'grinder' - at least the word exists even if its use in the context of a golfer is slightly odd and recent. 'Grinded' makes no sense - as you point out, what's wrong with 'ground'????

 

 

Not that this makes a huge difference, but grinder has been used in MMA for years, usually to refer to a wrestler that works hard and grinds/tires his opponent out. It's also a word frequently used in the training room for someone that works extremely hard. "That dudes a grinder."

 

She's certainly not the first to have used it, maybe the first in golf...though I feel like one of the PGA pros has used it before. Can't say for sure.

post #46 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crim View Post
 

Not that this makes a huge difference, but grinder has been used in MMA for years, usually to refer to a wrestler that works hard and grinds/tires his opponent out. It's also a word frequently used in the training room for someone that works extremely hard. "That dudes a grinder."

 

She's certainly not the first to have used it, maybe the first in golf...though I feel like one of the PGA pros has used it before. Can't say for sure.


As I said, I have little problem with "grindER". It was "grindED" (which as I understand it, Wie used) that I thought was a little odd.

Enough of these semantics anyway. Hopefully, her golf will go from strength to strength now she's genuinely made a big breakthrough.

post #47 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by misty_mountainhop View Post


As I said, I have little problem with "grindER". It was "grindED" (which as I understand it, Wie used) that I thought was a little odd.
Enough of these semantics anyway. Hopefully, her golf will go from strength to strength now she's genuinely made a big breakthrough.

I'm with you, it's just not a word and don't believe it'll be added to Webster's anytime soon because ground covers it pretty well.
post #48 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by misty_mountainhop View Post
 


As I said, I have little problem with "grindER"

I understand that, I'm just saying grinder is used all the time. She's definitely not the first to say it...especially in sports. 

post #49 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by inthehole View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by boogielicious View Post
 

She's adorable and finally matured into a professional.  I really enjoy watching her play.

 

couldn't have said it better.

 

I vote the world needs more Wie Kia commercials ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10nQ4IueEiA

 

OK - I admit, I love her commercials:   

 

Granted, it's alot of roll, but still, 600 yards & on in two is pretty impressive for a chick:  

post #50 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crim View Post
 

Not that this makes a huge difference, but grinder has been used in MMA for years, usually to refer to a wrestler that works hard and grinds/tires his opponent out. It's also a word frequently used in the training room for someone that works extremely hard. "That dudes a grinder."

 

She's certainly not the first to have used it, maybe the first in golf...though I feel like one of the PGA pros has used it before. Can't say for sure.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by misty_mountainhop View Post
 


As I said, I have little problem with "grindER". It was "grindED" (which as I understand it, Wie used) that I thought was a little odd.

Enough of these semantics anyway. Hopefully, her golf will go from strength to strength now she's genuinely made a big breakthrough.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunther View Post


I'm with you, it's just not a word and don't believe it'll be added to Webster's anytime soon because ground covers it pretty well.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crim View Post
 

I understand that, I'm just saying grinder is used all the time. She's definitely not the first to say it...especially in sports. 

 

 

According to the book "Tin Cup Dreams" the term "Grinder" applies to the golfers that went through Q-School.

 

Great read BTW. http://www.amazon.com/Tin-Cup-Dreams-Long-Makes/dp/0786886471

 

http://www.golfgrinder.com/

post #51 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by misty_mountainhop View Post
 


As I said, I have little problem with "grindER". It was "grindED" (which as I understand it, Wie used) that I thought was a little odd.

 

****, I misread this and thought you said you have "A little problem with grinder."

My bad. 

post #52 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crim View Post
 

****, I misread this and thought you said you have "A little problem with grinder."

My bad. 

 

http://grammarist.com/usage/grinded/

 

"Grinded" is also a "rare" term according to these dictionaries.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/grinded

http://www.scrabblefinder.com/word/grinded/

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Grinded

 

 

"Grinded" sounds like a word from Shakespeare like "Thou hast grinded mine fury to bits. . ." :-$ 

post #53 of 59

I love to watch Wie play, she is a compete package, tall, sexy, smart,  she brings some fun to the LPGA. The best thing she could have done was get her education, if her golf carrier was to ever end, a Stanford Education will always be there for her, that to me shows how smart she was/is to go back to school.

Plus if you look at all the Colleges, Stanford has the highest ROI of any school according to Forbes money.

 

At a Glance
  • Student Population: 19,945
  • Undergraduate Population: 6,988
  • Student to Faculty Ratioa: 12
  • Total Annual Costc: $58,846
  • In-State Tuitionc: $42,225
  • Out-of-State Tuitionc: $42,225
  • Percent on Financial Aidd: 72.0%
  • Percent Admittede: 7.0%
  • SAT Composite Rangef: 1380-1570
  • Forbes Financial Grade: A+

Forbes Lists
  • #1 in Private Colleges
  • #1 in Research Universities
  • #1 in the West

.

post #54 of 59

I'm a fan. She is a smart talented golfer. Wie brings fans to the LPGA. I hope she has many more wins and wins many more majors. 

 

cubdog

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Tour Talk
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Tour Talk › Michelle Wie... Love Her or Hate her?