or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Golf Courses and Architecture › San Francisco Driving Range
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

San Francisco Driving Range - Page 2

post #19 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeokslonger View Post
 

Alright, many things to reply to at once but here we go.

 

I have tried google maps, must've looked through 10 places but they all seem to be in the 200-220 yards range, that's why I figured it couldn't hurt to ask around because I'm sure my swing is not that unique.

 

It's hard not to get defensive at this point so without reading too much into my handicap - my short game is pretty decent. What's costing me strokes is that I have to hit multiple shots of tee several times per round. For all I know, my score might be better if I just stuck to 7 irons but I'm not serious enough to care that much about the score. I just play for fun and to me it'd be much more rewarding if I could practice long shots on the range until I could hit them straighter.

 

Thank you for understanding.

If you hit them straight 200+ yards they are likely going to land on / near the fairway give or take the effect of a fade or draw.  Maybe your best bet is to find an indoor simulator and practice on that, just be careful you don't break the screen.

post #20 of 68
Check out Mariners Point in Foster City, just outside of SF right off the 101. Thats a pretty big driving range with grass and mats to hit from. The place is huge and even if you do really get into one and hit it over the net the whole place is surrounded by marsh land. Just be careful to not hit the plances landing at nearby SFO and you'll be fine here.c2_beer.gif
post #21 of 68

I'd suggest contacting the LDA.  They may be able to point you in the right direction.....

post #22 of 68
Thread Starter 

Yeah I suppose the simulator place is my best option for hitting drives. I've been to one though and the net is just fine haha (however I once borrowed a regular flex 7 iron that just snapped). 

 

I'll give the swing thread a lookie then sure! Mariners point looks promising too! The main motivation for asking about the driving range here is that I don't want to risk hitting anyone so even if it goes out in the water it doesn't matter so much to me (although the owners of the driving range might not feel the same way). 

 

Regarding David in FL, what's your problem man? I'm only here because I'm looking for advice, if I want cheap shots about my short game or my intelligence (both of whom you know absolutely nothing about) I'll ask for it, thanks. 

post #23 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeokslonger View Post
 

Yeah I suppose the simulator place is my best option for hitting drives. I've been to one though and the net is just fine haha (however I once borrowed a regular flex 7 iron that just snapped). 

 

I'll give the swing thread a lookie then sure! Mariners point looks promising too! The main motivation for asking about the driving range here is that I don't want to risk hitting anyone so even if it goes out in the water it doesn't matter so much to me (although the owners of the driving range might not feel the same way). 

 

Regarding David in FL, what's your problem man? I'm only here because I'm looking for advice, if I want cheap shots about my short game or my intelligence (both of whom you know absolutely nothing about) I'll ask for it, thanks. 

I can't even view this thread and entertain you anymore. You're sitting here asking for driving range recommendations because you claim to hit the ball longer than Bubba Watson on average and normal ranges that us regular human beings use aren't capable of harnessing your power! You claim that you are averaging drives that are some 30-50 yards longer than any PGA professional at this very moment.That is absolutely ridiculous and you're full of it, as you know, and you're receiving feedback accordingly.

If you want to get real and take this place seriously, then start by telling the truth and we can all help your game out. If you're going to come on here and keep this lie going then you're going to get a lot of comments that you're not going to like.

"330-350 usually... 380 on a good day". Come on...

 



It's really you isn't it, Jack?

post #24 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeokslonger View Post
 

Yeah I suppose the simulator place is my best option for hitting drives. I've been to one though and the net is just fine haha (however I once borrowed a regular flex 7 iron that just snapped). 

 

I'll give the swing thread a lookie then sure! Mariners point looks promising too! The main motivation for asking about the driving range here is that I don't want to risk hitting anyone so even if it goes out in the water it doesn't matter so much to me (although the owners of the driving range might not feel the same way). 

 

Regarding David in FL, what's your problem man? I'm only here because I'm looking for advice, if I want cheap shots about my short game or my intelligence (both of whom you know absolutely nothing about) I'll ask for it, thanks. 

 

Huh?  :blink:

 

I recommended contacting the Long Drivers of America.  http://longdrivers.com/  I would imagine they could be helpful to you.

 

I never questioned your intelligence......but now I am wondering about your reading comprehension.

post #25 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeokslonger View Post

 

 

Regarding David in FL, what's your problem man? I'm only here because I'm looking for advice, if I want cheap shots about my short game or my intelligence (both of whom you know absolutely nothing about) I'll ask for it, thanks. 

 

I think @David in FL is just having a little fun but he is also trying to help. You started a thread looking for a driving range that can accommodate your 380 yard drives and you're looking for this range in San Francisco. 

 

You may be totally legit with your questions but you have to understand why this thread would be hard for some to take seriously. Some will see it as a complete excuse to brag about how far you hit it. And the part about wanting to see where the ball ends up is suspect as well.

post #26 of 68
Thread Starter 

I'm at work right now and I haven't read through everything properly. It just blows my mind that you wouldn't believe me though haha.

 

I'll pop by the indoor place after work and have someone record a swing or two. Afterwards, if you're interested, I'll explain why Bubba hits it shorter than I do.

 

Guess it's my turn to be entertained now. 

post #27 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeokslonger View Post

I'm at work right now and I haven't read through everything properly. It just blows my mind that you wouldn't believe me though haha.

I'll pop by the indoor place after work and have someone record a swing or two. Afterwards, if you're interested, I'll explain why Bubba hits it shorter than I do.

Guess it's my turn to be entertained now. 

Sure thing. I would love to be proven wrong. Far too often these claims are always unproven and the poster fades away into another forum or username. I'm sure you understand.
post #28 of 68
Yeah it would e even better if we can see some numbers as well.. What ever the nearest indoor place has will do..
post #29 of 68
Thread Starter 

Alright, only had 30 minutes at the simulator before they close because work ran a bit long. 

 

Here are two shots with no warmup or anything. Kinda missed the first one, ~320 yards but way right, however the second one is alright at 342 yards. 

 

 

-----------------------------------APOLOGIES BELOW THIS LINE------------------------------------

post #30 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeokslonger View Post
 

Alright, only had 30 minutes at the simulator before they close because work ran a bit long. 

 

Here are two shots with no warmup or anything. Kinda missed the first one, ~320 yards but way right, however the second one is alright at 342 yards. 

 

 

-----------------------------------APOLOGIES BELOW THIS LINE------------------------------------

 

HAHAAAAAA!!!!!! I fkn' love it!!

 

That swing is straight BEAST-MODE bro...awesome. Is that a Bombtec Grenade driver? What kind of shaft are you using?

post #31 of 68
Thread Starter 

Haha xD glad you like it! Pushed it a little extra for the camera as I didn't want a retake. I hit one for 360 later on. That driver there is a Krank Formula 5 driver with 5 degrees of loft and a XXX stiff 48' Fujikura Firewire shaft. I've got a Krank Rage 6degree one with a X stiff shaft too but it's back in Sweden. I hit them both about as far but the Formula 5's got a much lower trajectory - figure it's because of the harder shaft. 

post #32 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeokslonger View Post
 

Haha xD glad you like it! Pushed it a little extra for the camera as I didn't want a retake. I hit one for 360 later on. That driver there is a Krank Formula 5 driver with 5 degrees of loft and a XXX stiff 48' Fujikura Firewire shaft. I've got a Krank Rage 6degree one with a X stiff shaft too but it's back in Sweden. I hit them both about as far but the Formula 5's got a much lower trajectory - figure it's because of the harder shaft. 

Nice...I hear good things about those Krank drivers. So, how did you learn to drive the ball so far? 

post #33 of 68
Thread Starter 

They're great I think! I gain like 10 yards from a regular top of the line driver from Callaway, Ping or something like that (on a simulator at least). It's also the only driver I've found that keeps the balls down. They're not very forgiving I suppose but at the end of the day you pay a price for bad shots whatever driver you're using. 

 

I'm not quite sure... I want to stress though that there are people out there who hit much harder than I do. My swing speed is usually around 125-130mph (highest I've ever recorded is 133) and for instance Jamie Sadlowski that I linked before is past 140mph. Me, just like Jamie actually, both played hockey as kids. Perhaps that's got something to do with it I'm not sure. I've always hit them pretty far. And also very wide :D 

post #34 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeokslonger View Post
 

They're great I think! I gain like 10 yards from a regular top of the line driver from Callaway, Ping or something like that (on a simulator at least). It's also the only driver I've found that keeps the balls down. They're not very forgiving I suppose but at the end of the day you pay a price for bad shots whatever driver you're using. 

 

I'm not quite sure... I want to stress though that there are people out there who hit much harder than I do. My swing speed is usually around 125-130mph (highest I've ever recorded is 133) and for instance Jamie Sadlowski that I linked before is past 140mph. Me, just like Jamie actually, both played hockey as kids. Perhaps that's got something to do with it I'm not sure. I've always hit them pretty far. And also very wide :D 

 

Hahaha. That's cool man...thanks for the info, and contributing. I want to start working on getting my swing speed up, so that's why I asked. I've watched videos of Sadlowski and other long drivers before, which is a great idea. That dude is nuts! Broke the Golf Channel simulator screen twice LMAO!!

 

Anyway, I don't have any advice for you on extra long ranges, sorry. Also, don't take all the passive-agressive nonsense from others personally...there are mostly cool people on here (with some insecure haters with nothing better to do mixed in...just like any forum lol).

post #35 of 68
Thread Starter 

Alright that's cool! Wish I could help you out, I dunno much about it though I'm afraid. I hear overspeed training is popular amongst the pros (basically you turn the club around and just swing the shaft). Other than that I suppose finding the best setup and getting as strong as possible without loosing flexibility is what everyone is striving for. I know nothing about your swing but most people can probably benefit from working on their release as well and getting more power from their wrists. 

 

Sadlowski is really interesting to follow I think! I saw when he broke the simulator too haha! Freaking hilarious. Really funny to see him next to Joe Miller or someone like that who's like a foot taller and twice as heavy but they still hit it just as hard. 

 

It's the internet afterall... what can you expect xD thanks though! And thanks to everyone who's actually been giving useful advice. I've got no motive other than finding a place to practice where I don't risk hitting anyone. Indoor simulators are alright but nothing beats the real deal. 

post #36 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeokslonger View Post
 

Alright, only had 30 minutes at the simulator before they close because work ran a bit long. 

 

Here are two shots with no warmup or anything. Kinda missed the first one, ~320 yards but way right, however the second one is alright at 342 yards. 

 

 

-----------------------------------APOLOGIES BELOW THIS LINE------------------------------------

 

I apologize, I was wrong. You can drive the ball 300+ yards using a 5°, 48" long driver. That's my bad for assuming you were using something more "standard" without asking for details.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeokslonger View Post
 

Alright that's cool! Wish I could help you out, I dunno much about it though I'm afraid. I hear overspeed training is popular amongst the pros (basically you turn the club around and just swing the shaft). Other than that I suppose finding the best setup and getting as strong as possible without loosing flexibility is what everyone is striving for. I know nothing about your swing but most people can probably benefit from working on their release as well and getting more power from their wrists. 

 

Sadlowski is really interesting to follow I think! I saw when he broke the simulator too haha! Freaking hilarious. Really funny to see him next to Joe Miller or someone like that who's like a foot taller and twice as heavy but they still hit it just as hard. 

 

It's the internet afterall... what can you expect xD thanks though! And thanks to everyone who's actually been giving useful advice. I've got no motive other than finding a place to practice where I don't risk hitting anyone. Indoor simulators are alright but nothing beats the real deal. 

 

This is the assumption that I based your claims on as well. On the internet, everyone can drive the ball 350 yards. 0.01% of those people actually back up their claims though. I have no problem admitting I was wrong and I enjoyed seeing your swing as well.

What is your accuracy and typical FIR in a round with that driver? Or, do you only use it in LD competitions/recreational rounds? What is your typical distance and accuracy with a more "standard" setup, such as a 44-45" shaft on a higher lofted driver (9°-12°)?

PS: The crow tastes like :poo:

 

:beer: 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Golf Courses and Architecture
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Golf Courses and Architecture › San Francisco Driving Range