or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Tour Talk › how many pros still wear steel spikes?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

how many pros still wear steel spikes? - Page 2

post #19 of 28
I think tiger uses the stinger pro spikes. If use them if I could.
post #20 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick1998bunker View Post

I think tiger uses the stinger pro spikes. If use them if I could.

I just looked these up, are they accepted by most courses as still being considered "soft" spikes?
post #21 of 28
I
Quote:
Originally Posted by colin007 View Post

I just looked these up, are they accepted by most courses as still being considered "soft" spikes?
I doubt it.
post #22 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick1998bunker View Post

I
I doubt it.
Why? Must soft spikes have a certain shape?
post #23 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reval14 View Post

Why? Must soft spikes have a certain shape?
I would assume when they say no metal cleats they mean, you just can't have metal on the bottom, which the pro stingers do. The pro stingers have the regular champ stinger shape with a metal spike in the middle.
post #24 of 28
I didn't even know metal spikes were still legal. The club I play at has a strict policy agains wearing them.
post #25 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbishop15 View Post

I didn't even know metal spikes were still legal. The club I play at has a strict policy agains wearing them.

They're allowed on the PGA Tour....
post #26 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by David in FL View Post

They're allowed on the PGA Tour....
Interesting. I did not know that. I think I just assumed that they were banned because nobody wore them anymore.
post #27 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbishop15 View Post


Interesting. I did not know that. I think I just assumed that they were banned because nobody wore them anymore.


If the courses didn't have to ban them because too many knuckleheads didn't know how to lift their feet when they walk we could still use them, I would bet there are probably some private clubs that allow them because enough of the membership wanted them and knew what they were doing to not tear the greens up. I remember when that was the norm and how torn up some greens would get on heavy play but I also remember how well planted you would be wearing them.

post #28 of 28

The greens can repair themselves pretty easily.  The carpet in the clubhouse is expensive.  That's why they're banned.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Tour Talk
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Tour Talk › how many pros still wear steel spikes?