or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Pro Shop › Clubs, Grips, Shafts, Fitting › PING Introduces G30 Series, Driver, Fairway, Hybrid and Irons
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

PING Introduces G30 Series, Driver, Fairway, Hybrid and Irons

post #1 of 59
Thread Starter 
UPDATED 7-3-14

PHOENIX (July 3, 2014) – With an emphasis on significantly increasing ball velocity and accuracy through a combination of advanced aerodynamics, plus new face designs and materials, PING today introduced the G30 series – the company’s latest innovations that provide golfers measurable distance gains without sacrificing key performance attributes such as control and forgiveness.

The G30 series includes two driver options -- standard and SF Tec (Straight Flight Technology) -- along with fairway woods, hybrids and irons. The product line can be pre-ordered beginning today at PING-authorized golf shops around the world.

“With the G30 series, our engineers once again accomplished something that is unique to PING products -- they elevated performance significantly in key areas without sacrificing other important attributes,” said John A. Solheim, PING Chairman & CEO. “Across the product line, we’ve proved you can hit the ball higher and farther while increasing forgiveness and control. We’ve also continued our focus on advancing custom fitting in the driver and fairway woods by offering five loft positions. All of this promotes the consistent, reliable results that will help golfers of any skill level shoot lower scores and enjoy the game more.”

The most visible innovation on the G30 driver is the patented turbulators engineered onto the crown. Inspired by the aeronautics and sporting industries that put a premium on speed, Turbulator Technology reduces aerodynamic drag by significantly delaying airflow separation, maintaining attached airflow around the clubhead as it approaches impact, leading to more speed.

“The turbulators are really exciting,” Solheim said. “Wind-tunnel testing verified with clarity the role they play in reducing drag on the driver head, but its real benefit was confirmed through our player testing. When Bubba Watson first tested the turbulators, he picked up two miles per hour in clubhead speed and four miles per hour in ball speed, which meant 10 more yards for him. We can’t promise that for everyone, but with the turbulators’ powerful, inspiring look we’re confident all golfers will be longer off the tee, thanks to Turbulator Technology.”

The entire G30 series benefits from new face technologies and materials, including the introduction of T9S titanium in the drivers, which results in thinner faces and weight savings that help position the CG low and back. The fairway woods utilize a high-strength Carpenter 475 steel in the face, and the hybrids are heat treated with an H900 process. Both result in hotter, more forgiving faces. The G30 iron face is thinner for higher ball speeds while being stabilized by a new custom tuning port design for predictable distance control.

The G30 SF Tec driver option is engineered for players whose shots typically end up right of the intended target. In player testing, the G30 SF Tec driver, which features weight closer to the heel and lighter swingweights, improved shot bend by 12 yards when compared to the G30 standard driver.

PING has also increased the range of adjustability to five loft positions in the driver and fairway woods while maintaining the same mass and outer diameter as the company’s fixed hosels, providing the benefits of adjustability with no sacrifice in performance. The lightweight hosel allows golfers to increase or decrease loft 6/10 of a degree or 1 full degree to optimize launch conditions.

New product descriptions and technical specifications:








G30 Adjustable Driver





Turbulators on the crown of the 460cc Ti 8-1-1 head reduce aerodynamic drag, leading to faster clubhead speed and ball velocity for long, accurate drives. Turbulators also assist with aim and alignment. The higher strength/weight ratio of the T9S face material allows for a thinner, hotter face and saves 4 grams of weight. The weight savings are allocated to help position the CG lower and farther back than any PING driver to date, ensuring high launch and optimized spin with a high MOI. SF Tec heads promote a right-to-left ball flight for players whose shots typically end up right of the target. To optimize launch angle and spin, golfers can add or subtract up to 1 degree of loft using Trajectory Tuning+ Technology. A high-balance-point TFC 419D shaft has a CG closer to the grip end, promoting a simultaneous increase in energy, momentum and inertia. The custom tuning port can accommodate a range of fitting weights and allows PING to achieve the desired swing weight across a variety of proprietary and after-market shafts.


G30 Adjustable Fairway Woods









Faster ball speeds and greater distance come from a larger face made of a uniform-thickness Carpenter 475 steel, creating a thin but strong hitting surface that maximizes face deflection. (Carpenter 475 steel is 44% stronger than 17-4 stainless steel.) Weight saved by thinning the face was redistributed to optimize the CG and elevate MOI for added forgiveness. Launch angle and spin can be fine-tuned by adding or subtracting up to 1 degree of loft with PING's five-
setting Trajectory Tuning+ Technology, utilizing a lightweight hosel that offers adjustments of
+0.6°, +1°, -0.6°, and -1°. Crown turbulators create a captured appearance with the ball, and help with aim and alignment to inspire confidence. The high-balance-point TFC 419F shaft has a CG closer to the grip end, promoting a simultaneous increase in energy, momentum and inertia for longer, straighter results.

G30 Irons









Progressive lengths and lofts and a thin face that maximizes ball speed help launch the ball farther and higher with control. Situated low in the sole of the undercut cavity design, the CTP structure helps lower the CG to ensure high launch with forgiveness, and it supports the 17-4 stainless steel face to provide distance control and a solid feel. The soft elastomer badge enhances feel and sound in the perimeter-weighted design. A softer lead-edge radius and precisely calculated additions to the bounce profile ensure a smooth transition through the grass with a stable head, which adds to forgiveness. This versatile sole design is engineered to perform well with any angle of attack. Progressive offset generates higher ball flights in the longer irons and penetrating, controlled trajectories with the scoring clubs. Slightly longer blade lengths increase forgiveness, most noticeably in the 4 through 7 iron.


G30 Hybrids







Greater ball velocity and longer distances with a higher trajectory ensure the stopping power to attack pins. The thin, uniform 17-4 stainless steel face is processed with a H900 heat treatment to maximize face deflection and increase ball speed for added distance with a higher peak trajectory and a steeper landing angle. Heel-toe weighting elevates MOI for extreme forgiveness. Weight in the low sole creates a low-back CG for consistent impact and high launch. Progressive CG locations and offsets ensure efficient gapping and trajectories that maximize distance. To inspire confidence, the top rail is flatter and the heel section is higher, providing a very square face at address that helps with aim and alignment consistency. The high-balance-point TFC 419H shaft has a CG closer to the grip end, promoting a simultaneous increase in energy, momentum and inertia for longer, straighter results.
post #2 of 59
Thread Starter 
Turbulators – The Most Un-PING Thing PING has ever Done

PING doesn’t do gimmicks right? That’s their rep, and yet it would appear they’re about to release a driver with spikey, horn things on the leading edge of the crown. That’s odd, right? Who ever thought PING would be the first to offer the Rhino driver?

Alignment aid? Who needs ‘em…not when you’ve got Turbulators?

I really can’t say how these Turbulator things came to be, but I can tell you that, according to Wikipedia anyway, horned lizards are indigenous to Arizona so I suppose it’s entirely possible that Marty Jertson and the rest of the PING design crew saw one of those lizards basking on a rock behind their R&D facility, and maybe pulled some inspiration from it.

Turbulators – The Most PING Thing PING has Ever Done

In reality, PING is no stranger to unconventional designs. They’ve basically succeeded through outside-the-box thinking and a Function-First approach to design. If that means the end product is a little different, then so be it. Once upon a time there was nothing like the PING Anser putter. Eye 2 irons with perimeter weighting…What about the PING ZING 2 irons? Odd at best, right?

The Doc series putters are bizarre by any conventional standard, and the K15 series of metalwoods is about as far off the beaten path as a mainstream manufacturer is likely going to venture. At least that was the case before the G30 series and this whole Turbulator thing.

You also can’t totally discount the target market either. While Turbulators might not fly on the i-series, the G-series crowd is likely more receptive to a less than traditional approach to product design.

Short story…the G-series crowd won’t care that G30 looks a little different if it performs as well or better than the G25.
post #3 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonTheSavage View Post

Turbulators – The Most Un-PING Thing PING has ever Done

PING doesn’t do gimmicks right? That’s their rep, and yet it would appear they’re about to release a driver with spikey, horn things on the leading edge of the crown. That’s odd, right? Who ever thought PING would be the first to offer the Rhino driver?

Alignment aid? Who needs ‘em…not when you’ve got Turbulators?

I really can’t say how these Turbulator things came to be, but I can tell you that, according to Wikipedia anyway, horned lizards are indigenous to Arizona so I suppose it’s entirely possible that Marty Jertson and the rest of the PING design crew saw one of those lizards basking on a rock behind their R&D facility, and maybe pulled some inspiration from it.

Turbulators – The Most PING Thing PING has Ever Done

In reality, PING is no stranger to unconventional designs. They’ve basically succeeded through outside-the-box thinking and a Function-First approach to design. If that means the end product is a little different, then so be it. Once upon a time there was nothing like the PING Anser putter. Eye 2 irons with perimeter weighting…What about the PING ZING 2 irons? Odd at best, right?

The Doc series putters are bizarre by any conventional standard, and the K15 series of metalwoods is about as far off the beaten path as a mainstream manufacturer is likely going to venture. At least that was the case before the G30 series and this whole Turbulator thing.

You also can’t totally discount the target market either. While Turbulators might not fly on the i-series, the G-series crowd is likely more receptive to a less than traditional approach to product design.

Short story…the G-series crowd won’t care that G30 looks a little different if it performs as well or better than the G25.

What's a turbulator? Is it corny if every time I hit a 300 yard drive dead center, I turn around and say to my playing partners "I'll be back!" in an Austrian accent before heading down the fairway?

post #4 of 59
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmoan2 View Post

What's a turbulator? Is it corny if every time I hit a 300 yard drive dead center, I turn around and say to my playing partners "I'll be back!" in an Austrian accent before heading down the fairway?

It's funny, I love PING....LOVE LOVE LOVE. If Taylormade or Nike even put out a driver and used the word Turbulator people would think gimmick right off the bat. I think PING has enough good will for people to not rush to judgement on this and wait and see what the numbers show. I'll be watching this one!
post #5 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonTheSavage View Post


It's funny, I love PING....LOVE LOVE LOVE. If Taylormade or Nike even put out a driver and used the word Turbulator people would think gimmick right off the bat. I think PING has enough good will for people to not rush to judgement on this and wait and see what the numbers show. I'll be watching this one!

Me too. I almost sleep with my G15 driver. I couldn't care less if it had a picture of Ahnold's head on the sole plate.

post #6 of 59

http://www.pgatour.com/equipmentreport/2014/06/30/equipment-photos-ping-g30-new-driver-greenbrier-classic.html

 

Quote:

WHITE SULPHUR SPRINGS, W.Va. — Just hours after PING's G30 driver landed on the USGA's list of conforming driver heads, the club made its PGA TOUR debut at The Greenbrier Classic.

PING brought between 10-15 drivers to The Greenbrier — one for every PING staffer in the field — to give players the chance to test the yet-to-be-released model for the first time and potentially put it in play. 

One of those players was Bubba Watson, who received a custom PING G30 with a hot pink crown. It's unclear if the two-time Masters winner will put the club in play this week, but the fact that PING had one built for him means he could potentially test it this week. Watson currently leads the TOUR in driving distance, averaging 313.1 yards with PING's G25 driver. 

PING declined to give technical details about the driver prior to the official launch, but close-up photos (see additional images below) taken at the course on Sunday of the new club highlight some updated technology on the crown. 

According to info on the USGA's list of conforming driver heads, the six raised lines on the crown — they actually have a slight curve to them — are called "Turbulators," and run from the heel to the toe along the front portion of the crown. The Turbulators range in length from an inch to close-to two inches. It's not yet clear how the raised lines improve the design.

With the exception of the new crown design, the G30 looks very similar to its predecessor with a deep profile and PING's charcoal, non-glare matte finish on the crown. 

A couple noticeable changes to the sole include three lines on the heel and toe that are significantly wider than the lines on the G25, and a splash of blue paint on the toe. 

PING's Trajectory Tuning hosel was also visible on the shaft, just above the driver head. On the G25, the adjustable hosel allowed golfers to add or subtract one-half degree from the standard loft setting. 

 

 

 

post #7 of 59

Let's see how the pro do with it ... that should give us a hint as to performance.

post #8 of 59
Was really hopingn it had the racing stripes Loved them on the i25 Ya well see how these get reviewed and if a ping pro leads driving this week then hey turbulators are the new thing
post #9 of 59
glad I didn't wait for it to come out, what's with the fins I guess the fin is in. Racing stripes for me I love my i25.
post #10 of 59
The Ping Zing of drivers..... b1_ohmy.gif
post #11 of 59
I'm no golf pro and I didn't stay at a holiday inn. come on man! the fins are going to do what? down force? please! if my right elbow gets stuck behind me even with a 170 mph or 90mph swing speed the face will still open. I just don't understand this g20 with fins. I think ping was realy onto something with the i25 and racing stripes.

looks like we my have to deal with TM crossing over into the good club makers.

can't imagine what the i30 is going to look like? maybe we will need clearance from a airport to swing it!

come on ping!
post #12 of 59

Can make them in brighter colors?

 

I mean, I really need to differentiate myself from the rest of the golfers and their clothing.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

And where am I going to put the lead tape and duct tape???? :-$

post #13 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by motsco View Post

I'm no golf pro and I didn't stay at a holiday inn. come on man! the fins are going to do what? down force? please! if my right elbow gets stuck behind me even with a 170 mph or 90mph swing speed the face will still open. I just don't understand this g20 with fins. I think ping was realy onto something with the i25 and racing stripes.

 

I would assume the "fins" have an aerodynamic purpose, less drag, faster club head speed, that kind of thing. I don't think they'll be promising to fix any swing issues you might have ;-) 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lihu View Post

 

And where am I going to put the lead tape and duct tape???? :-$

 

 

@Lihu, the mad golf scientist 

post #14 of 59

I do admit that the color scheme on the head would go quite nicely with a jewelry finished steel shaft!

 

And the hot melt port/weight is a nice touch.

post #15 of 59

The little cut-outs on the bottom remind me a bit of the Bombtech Grenade driver, but the first thing that popped into my mind when I saw the club was, "That looks like a fish with gills". I don't think I would enjoy swinging it myself unless there was a measurable performance benefit though.

post #16 of 59
I do wonder about the aero aspects of the design.
post #17 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by trickyputt View Post

I do wonder about the aero aspects of the design.

 

The G25 was a first step in that direction

post #18 of 59
I just threw up in my mouth a little bit...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Clubs, Grips, Shafts, Fitting
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Pro Shop › Clubs, Grips, Shafts, Fitting › PING Introduces G30 Series, Driver, Fairway, Hybrid and Irons