or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Practice Range › Instruction and Playing Tips › Trackman and FlightScope Devices Take Guessing out of Equation
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Trackman and FlightScope Devices Take Guessing out of Equation - Page 4

post #55 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wangus94 View Post

Deleted? Really? This is related to the topic of using Trackman and it's applications. Nearly every post I make you say is off topic or will be deleted. It appears that if I don't post something pre-approved it's considered off topic. Kinda suspect. I have to work on my pivot and get more rotational, my right shoulder drops when I get hands too deep and too the inside and I come out of my posture. I bend too much to the right, causes me to swing too far from the inside. The fix ilies in my right shoulder and feeling it work out more, less down. The result is the club stays on a better plane and the path doesn't shallow as much. The #s I posted were the result of that move, but the resulting ball flight and contact improved. That's my fix.... go ahead and delete this post for being 'off topic'
That's all stuff YOU have to do to fix YOUR swing. Go ahead and make a MySwing thread and post that stuff there. That's why it's OT here, this thread isn't about your swing.
post #56 of 67

The only thing I'm never sure about is the distances they provide. I mean, I know on the course my pw is good for about 145/150 carry. I know that from gps and laser measurements that were taken before shots. However, flightscope only showed me average 122.5. I don't know what calculations it does to determine distance but it seems to be a bit off.

post #57 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremie Boop View Post

The only thing I'm never sure about is the distances they provide. I mean, I know on the course my pw is good for about 145/150 carry. I know that from gps and laser measurements that were taken before shots. However, flightscope only showed me average 122.5. I don't know what calculations it does to determine distance but it seems to be a bit off.

A bit is a little bit of an understatement isn't it? I mean if you look at the low end of your "measurement" that is almost a 22 yard difference on average..

Maybe Erik or Mike can chime in, but is it possible that flight scope can be off by that much? If it can then how often can the regular golfer trust its numbers..

Also, if you don't trust the numbers with the pw then naturally I assume you wouldn't trust the aoa or la or anything else it spits out for any of the other clubs.. Did you tell the operator of this discrepancy while on the scope?
post #58 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abu3baid View Post


A bit is a little bit of an understatement isn't it? I mean if you look at the low end of your "measurement" that is almost a 22 yard difference on average..

Maybe Erik or Mike can chime in, but is it possible that flight scope can be off by that much? If it can then how often can the regular golfer trust its numbers..

Also, if you don't trust the numbers with the pw then naturally I assume you wouldn't trust the aoa or la or anything else it spits out for any of the other clubs.. Did you tell the operator of this discrepancy while on the scope?

We didn't really go through many of the numbers. Just basically focused on the driver. I didn't look at the other numbers until today. I also noticed that it was only showing 168 as my high distance with my 6 iron which I know is way off because I played a 6 iron from 205 *to the pin via Matt's range finder* with a little wind at my back that flew passed the pin.

post #59 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremie Boop View Post
 

We didn't really go through many of the numbers. Just basically focused on the driver. I didn't look at the other numbers until today. I also noticed that it was only showing 168 as my high distance with my 6 iron which I know is way off because I played a 6 iron from 205 *to the pin via Matt's range finder* with a little wind at my back that flew passed the pin.

 

Yea 168 is a bit off. I would say from your driver speed you posted in your thread. Your 6 iron is 28 degrees, which is about my 5 iron. I would say with your swing speed, you should be about 190 with your 6 iron. So yea, 22 yards off, is a bit much. 

 

I think Erik said that flightscope has an iron setting and a driver setting. So it could be interpolating data incorrectly because the irons might produce some outlier data points with regards to launch angle and spin. 

post #60 of 67

@Jeremie Boop if your fitting was indoors, don't worry too much about it. People swing a bit differently sometimes indoors.

 

If it was outdoors, the ball is tracked and the distances are pretty darn accurate… They could have "normalized" improperly or something. Or perhaps you were just using limited flight range balls and they didn't normalize?

post #61 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by iacas View Post
 

@Jeremie Boop if your fitting was indoors, don't worry too much about it. People swing a bit differently sometimes indoors.

 

If it was outdoors, the ball is tracked and the distances are pretty darn accurate… They could have "normalized" improperly or something. Or perhaps you were just using limited flight range balls and they didn't normalize?

It was outdoors. I'm not sure if they are limited flight or not. They seemed like normal yellow range balls. It could have been a matter of just being fatigued from playing so many days in a row, but I don't see how it'd be so far off. I didn't mean to make it sound like 205 or 200 is my stock 6 iron distance in my previous post. 190-195 is pretty much stock for my 6 iron. I may just send you the pdf of flightscope results, as poor as they were, just so you can look at them. You may be able to get more out of it than I did. Let me know if you are interested in me doing that.

post #62 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremie Boop View Post
 

It was outdoors. I'm not sure if they are limited flight or not. They seemed like normal yellow range balls. It could have been a matter of just being fatigued from playing so many days in a row, but I don't see how it'd be so far off. I didn't mean to make it sound like 205 or 200 is my stock 6 iron distance in my previous post. 190-195 is pretty much stock for my 6 iron. I may just send you the pdf of flightscope results, as poor as they were, just so you can look at them. You may be able to get more out of it than I did. Let me know if you are interested in me doing that.

 

Go for it if you'd like. I don't know how much it can tell me but I'll look into it.

post #63 of 67

Aren't yellow rangeballs usually limited? You could ask the staff there if they are, but if the results from hitting them are way off what you hit on the course, I'd assume they are limited. You could also try hitting some shag balls while you're there to see if they go farther.

post #64 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by iacas View Post

@Jeremie Boop
 if your fitting was indoors, don't worry too much about it. People swing a bit differently sometimes indoors.

If it was outdoors, the ball is tracked and the distances are pretty darn accurate… They could have "normalized" improperly or something. Or perhaps you were just using limited flight range balls and they didn't normalize?

In your opinion then it is possible for the flight scope to be off by 20+ yards and if that is the case what is the percentage of time it is off?

I ask because I have been under the assumption that this machine an track man specifically are close to within a yard or two in terms of distance and within a half degree in terms of aoa and other metrics... Otherwise, basically we introduce a new variable which is "are the numbers accurate this time?"
post #65 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeph View Post
 

Aren't yellow rangeballs usually limited? You could ask the staff there if they are, but if the results from hitting them are way off what you hit on the course, I'd assume they are limited. You could also try hitting some shag balls while you're there to see if they go farther.

^^ those are the balls they have at the range. Top-Flite Super Range.

 

Edit: Some of the reading I did just now about it sounds like they only go about 80% of the actual distance of regular balls. This would probably put the yardages back into the range I would expect on the course, or at least closer.

post #66 of 67

With a lack of alternatives, will using the shot zone from hitting range balls work somewhat? The ball flight will obviously be different, mostly range, but I guess spread as well.

post #67 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abu3baid View Post

In your opinion then it is possible for the flight scope to be off by 20+ yards and if that is the case what is the percentage of time it is off?

 

No. Not unless the operator set something wrong.

 

They're pretty good too at taking a limited flight ball and giving you "normalized" numbers if you enter the premium kind of ball you use, too. It'll take "122" and turn it into "152" or whatever.

 

They're within a foot or two of a laser range finder. Indoors they're also pretty darn accurate too if they get about 12' of ball flight to measure.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremie Boop View Post
 

^^ those are the balls they have at the range. Top-Flite Super Range.

 

Edit: Some of the reading I did just now about it sounds like they only go about 80% of the actual distance of regular balls. This would probably put the yardages back into the range I would expect on the course, or at least closer.

 

As I suspected… ;-)

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeph View Post
 

With a lack of alternatives, will using the shot zone from hitting range balls work somewhat? The ball flight will obviously be different, mostly range, but I guess spread as well.

 

It's fine yeah. Mostly the ball will probably go higher. Curve a bit less, usually, too.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Instruction and Playing Tips
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Practice Range › Instruction and Playing Tips › Trackman and FlightScope Devices Take Guessing out of Equation