or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Tour Talk › 2014 Greenbrier Classic Discussion Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

2014 Greenbrier Classic Discussion Thread

post #1 of 30
Thread Starter 

The Greenbrier Classic features five of the top-10 players in the FedExCup standings, including the top 2 in Jimmy Walker and Bubba Watson.

Waker, a three-time winner in the 2013-2014 wrap-around season, leads the reigning Masters champ by 239 points. So depending on Sunday's outcome, there could be a change at the top of the standings for just the second time this season.

Also at stake are four spots in The Open Championship at Royal Liverpool. The top four players not otherwise exempt among the top 12 finishers on Sunday earn the invitations to the game's oldest major thanks to the Open Qualifying Series.

Here are some of the groups PGATOUR.COM will be watching. Use the Comments section below to let us know your favorite groups.   

For complete tee times, click here.

Thursday

Brendon Todd, J.B. Holmes, Bubba Watson: Todd has shown no signs of slowing down since winning the HP Byron Nelson Championship, posting his third top-10 in the last four weeks at Congressional on Sunday. (Rd. 1 - 12:50 p.m. ET off No. 1; Rd. 2 - 7:50 a.m. ET off No. 10)

Webb Simpson, Keegan Bradley, Tom Watson: Watson is the Ryder Cup captain and right now Simpson and Bradley are outside the automatic qualifiers at Nos. 17 and 18, respectively. (Rd. 1 -- 1 p.m. ET off No. 1, Rd. 2 -- 8 a.m. ET off No. 10)

Friday

Patrick Reed, Bill Haas, Steve Stricker: Reed took a two-stroke lead into the final round Sunday at the Quicken Loans National and will be looking to atone for that 77 that kept him from winning for the third time this year. (Rd. 1 -- 7:50 a.m. ET off No. 10, Rd. 2 -- 12:50 p.m. ET off No. 1)  

Jimmy Walker, Scott Stallings, Jonas Blixt: Stallings and Blixt are former Greenbrier Classic winners while Walker seeks his fourth win of the season. (Rd. 1 -- 8 a.m. ET off No. 10, Rd. 2 -- 1 p.m. ET off No. 1)

 

post #2 of 30
Thread Starter 

http://www.golfchannel.com/news/golf-central-blog/watson-makes-cut-chasing-snead-record

 

Quote:

WHITE SULPHUR SPRINGS, W. Va. – Much like Sam Snead once was, Tom Watsonnow holds the position of golf professional emeritus. Now he’s chasing after one of Snead’s old records.

With a 2-under 68 on Friday, Watson made the cut at The Greenbrier Classic for the third straight year.

At 64 years and 10 months exactly, Watson is still more than two years younger than Snead when he set the record for oldest player to make the cut at a PGA tour event. Snead was 67 years, 2 months and 21 days when he played all four rounds at the 1979 Manufacturers Hanover Westchester Classic.

Snead also holds the record for the oldest player to finish in the top-10. He was 63 years, 3 months and 4 days when he accomplished that feat at the 1975 B.C. Open.

If Watson can move up the leaderboard over the next two days and claim a top-10 result, he would own the new record.

post #3 of 30

This is how much discussion PGA Tour events get when Tiger's not playing in them… :)

post #4 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by iacas View Post

This is how much discussion PGA Tour events get when Tiger's not playing in them… :)

Don't know about anyone else, but I'm enjoying the tournament, as usual.

I admit, that it would be nice to see Tiger playing and blowing it out his ass again this week though. b2_tongue.gif
post #5 of 30
Cabrera shoots 64. Pretty good day for Argentina.....
post #6 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by David in FL View Post

Cabrera shoots 64. Pretty good day for Argentina.....
And Andres Romero shot 67 ;). I love how El Pato can play crap golf all year and then just randomly turn in a 64 and be in second
post #7 of 30
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJH999 View Post


And Andres Romero shot 67 ;). I love how El Pato can play crap golf all year and then just randomly turn in a 64 and be in second

 

Just getting warmed up for the British, he'll be the only hall of famer with only 4 wins, career grand slam lol

post #8 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvmac View Post

Just getting warmed up for the British, he'll be the only hall of famer with only 4 wins, career grand slam lol
Lol i've been rooting for this so hard. Unfortunately his best at a PGA is T19. He finished one shot out of the '99 Carnasty playoff(Random)
post #9 of 30
Thread Starter 

I'm rooting for Billy Hurley

post #10 of 30
Cabrera playing well is good to see. He actually played really well at Liverpool the last time the Open was there. Entered the final round 2 back of Tiger before fading a bit on Sunday.
post #11 of 30
Some ******* named "George McNeill" is going HAM. Good to see Angel playing well again, easily one of the most likable guys on tour
post #12 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisP View Post

Cabrera playing well is good to see. He actually played really well at Liverpool the last time the Open was there. Entered the final round 2 back of Tiger before fading a bit on Sunday.

El Pato is killin it so far today!
post #13 of 30
Way to go Angel! Great Eagle!
post #14 of 30
I think i jinxed him.
post #15 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJH999 View Post

I think i jinxed him.

Bastard!

Holy crap....look at that drive on 17!
post #16 of 30

One of the biggest mysteries is why the Big Fella hasn't won more in the States. He was an eyelash away from winning his 3rd major last year at Augusta and that doesn't happen by luck, not to mention he's put himself in the mix in other majors as well. But yet he is never on the leaderboard in any regular PGA or even Euro PGA event. Just strange for a guy with his talent.

post #17 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisP View Post

One of the biggest mysteries is why the Big Fella hasn't won more in the States. He was an eyelash away from winning his 3rd major last year at Augusta and that doesn't happen by luck, not to mention he's put himself in the mix in other majors as well. But yet he is never on the leaderboard in any regular PGA or even Euro PGA event. Just strange for a guy with his talent.
Because he gives no shits. He just plays once a year, at Augusta. Fantastic he's back in the winners circle. One of my favorite golfers
post #18 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJH999 View Post

Because he gives no shits. He just plays once a year, at Augusta. Fantastic he's back in the winners circle. One of my favorite golfers

Agree! c2_beer.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Tour Talk
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Tour Talk › 2014 Greenbrier Classic Discussion Thread