or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Golf Talk › Concealed Carry on The Course
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Concealed Carry on The Course - Page 3

post #37 of 354

I am legal to carry my weapons, but seldom do. Maybe when I go to the bank with a large sum of money. Other times I might carry my weapon while out hiking. Maybe while in a Wal-Mart parking lot. Try to get in my home though, and you will meet your maker. I have  no problem with with some one who is properly licensed, and  carry their weapon in public. Problem is some of those folks don't have the knowledge to know what they are doing, or how to properly handle that permit. My idea of a CCW is for self protection of family, and property. 

 

 A few weeks ago there was a shooting spree where two nut jobs went into an eatery and assassinated two policemen who were eating lunch. From there they went across the street into a Box Store and started shooting up the place. A guy with a CCW permit pulled his weapon to fire at one of the assassins. What he did not know was that there was two of them. While taking aim at one, the other walked up and shot him with out him even knowing it. Although he was trying to help, he did not properly assess the situation before drawing his weapon. He left a wife and and children, as did the Policemen. Both assassins later died in a gun battle with police in the back of the store. It was also reported that one of the assassins legally purchased the weapons used, while in Indiana.  

 

The only issue I ever had on a golf course was a couple of youngsters on their way home from school commandeered my golf cart and drove it a few holes a head and then jumped the fence. I was a  little pissed about that until I remembered I was that age at one time too. Now when I think about it, it seems kind of funny.  

 

BTW, my remark about a Wal-Mart parking lots being unsafe is well founded. :bugout: 

post #38 of 354

No doubt about the Wal-Mart lots, Patch.It's a frequent venue for the misdeeds I see on my morning news.

post #39 of 354

One thing that needs to be noted is that, at least in Colorado, it's illegal to carry any sort of firearm (regardless of whether or not you have a concealed carry permit) into many clubhouses. I'm not sure exactly why, but my best guess is that they serve liquor inside and that has something to do with it.

 

Also, do you really golf with a gun in you pocket, or do you put that one in your bag when you're playing. I imagine it would be terribly uncomfortable, since I don't like to golf with even a phone or keys in my pocket.

post #40 of 354
It's easy for us in the uk to say " you crazy gun wielding Americans, your gonna get ya self killed!"
But... You crazy gun wielding Americans are gonna get ya self killed!
Gun crime in the uk is low, because we're not allowed hand guns! Rifles for shooting, sport and hunting.. Fair enough!
But concealed handguns?? It's asking for trouble! But I suppose if your brought up in Dallas/Texas and places that have done this for years then I suppose it just seems normal and no big deal! I don't care either way! But if in the uk we were allowed to carry, I don't think I would! Especially on the course! I'd be uploading in bunkers, greens everywhere!
post #41 of 354
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by joekelly View Post

The OP is 23 years old. A frightened white boy. He needs assurance of his worth in the world. 
Whats that supposed to mean?
post #42 of 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardballs View Post

It's easy for us in the uk to say " you crazy gun wielding Americans, your gonna get ya self killed!"
But... You crazy gun wielding Americans are gonna get ya self killed!
Gun crime in the uk is low, because we're not allowed hand guns! Rifles for shooting, sport and hunting.. Fair enough!
But concealed handguns?? It's asking for trouble! But I suppose if your brought up in Dallas/Texas and places that have done this for years then I suppose it just seems normal and no big deal! I don't care either way! But if in the uk we were allowed to carry, I don't think I would! Especially on the course! I'd be uploading in bunkers, greens everywhere!

I'm in NY, and I'm very happy with the current set up of my not having to interact with people who have guns with them. I am in favor of keeping that arrangement, and I'll eagerly avoid going to places where that environment does not exist. The nice thing about America is the state model allows for something of a free market of ideas. People can collect themselves in places where they have similar mindsets to others and fashion a society that reflects their desires, interests, and needs at a local level. Some states can have permissive gun laws and I'd very much like others to have restrictive ones, and then everyone can happily go and do their thing accordingly, content to leave the people in places that do things differently alone. That last part is very much integral to the effective functioning of this system, and it's the one we need to work on most.

 

As for guns on golf courses, I can't imagine why anyone would feel so compelled unless there were dangerous wildlife around the course, in which case, I'd suggest the solution might involve addressing the underlying issue. Birdies belong on golf courses. Cougars, not so much, haha.

post #43 of 354
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretzel View Post

One thing that needs to be noted is that, at least in Colorado, it's illegal to carry any sort of firearm (regardless of whether or not you have a concealed carry permit) into many clubhouses. I'm not sure exactly why, but my best guess is that they serve liquor inside and that has something to do with it.

Also, do you really golf with a gun in you pocket, or do you put that one in your bag when you're playing. I imagine it would be terribly uncomfortable, since I don't like to golf with even a phone or keys in my pocket.
Yes. Its a really small one though.
post #44 of 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by bshalcomb View Post


Yes. Its a really small one though.

I know how small the one you said you carry is, but man that would just throw me off completely.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkolo View Post

As for guns on golf courses, I can't imagine why anyone would feel so compelled unless there were dangerous wildlife around the course, in which case, I'd suggest the solution might involve addressing the underlying issue. Birdies belong on golf courses. Cougars, not so much, haha.

In a tournament in Pueblo, CO, I had to wait for a rattlesnake to vacate the premises of my golf bag before I could move on to the next tee. I saw the group behind us trying to push it off the green with a bunker rake.

post #45 of 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretzel View Post
 

I know how small the one you said you carry is, but man that would just throw me off completely.

 

 

In a tournament in Pueblo, CO, I had to wait for a rattlesnake to vacate the premises of my golf bag before I could move on to the next tee. I saw the group behind us trying to push it off the green with a bunker rake.

I'm glad you guys saw fit not to shoot it.

post #46 of 354

bshalcomb,

 

I fully support both your 1st and 2nd amendment rights, and support your exercise of them. So, please do not take the forthcoming mild chastisement as criticism of you or those rights, but as an admonishment to use them discretely. There are forums available where it would be appropriate to discuss the types of weapon and method of carry, but I personally don't think this is one. If I had a CCL, and if I chose to carry on the course, you would never know. In fact, no one but my wife and children would know, not even my playing partners if I do it correctly. That to me is the purpose of concealed carry.

 

I don't have a problem with open carry, per se, but I don't think I would do it. In certain situations, I think it  would make one a target. If I am an armed robber knocking off a convenience store, the guy with a gun on his hip is probably my first target. On the other hand, if I walk in a convenience store with the intention to rob and see a couple of armed cititzens, I might just move on. I do think our friends in Texas and other places have not done the best job of public relations by carrying rifles around their neck into Chili's and Target. Arguably, such in the face expression does more harm and less education; when proponents of other issues rub my nose in it I am turned off, even if I agree with their rights.

 

Mailman, I am happy to hear your opinion, and to know that there are some of our cousins who are not averse to firearms. What many fail to understand is that NOT CARRYING is the relatively new phenomenon in the history of firearms, not only in the US, but in the UK and other places as well. I grew up in a rural area, and even in my lifetime, it was not uncommon for high school students' pickups to be parked in the school parking lot with a rifle or shotgun in the gunrack. It was also common for most boys to have a pocketknife. None of these were ever involved in any schoolyard fights. Alas, even I must admit that such an idyllic place is no longer attainable. I think I fired my first firearm, a .22 rifle, before I turned 6, and I brought my children up the same way. I fully support the military and law enforcement, but even they will tell you that protection of individuals is not what they do. The military protects the rights of individuals as a country against aggression, and while many police cars are logoed with the words "to serve and protect", their real function is to deter before and pursue and investigate after the fact.

 

While I applaud states for enacting shall issue CCL, making carrying legal where it previously was not, I don't necessarily believe that qualified citizens should be required to have a permit. Felons, and certain others by Federal and state laws are prohibited from owning firearms, so obviously carrying one by them is also already illegal. Many states do allow open carry without a permit, so I don't have a big problem with the CCL in shall issue states. Many require training in safety and legal use for the permit so that is a good aspect. I believe that responsible potential carriers, open or concealed should avail themselves of the available CCL courses, whether it is required or not. And I apply this to myself. Even though I have been around firearms literally all my life, I plan to take one of the courses that recently became available.

 

As for the "copper mouth water rattler" as the late Lewis Grizzard called them, they will come after you. My grandmother killed more of them with her garden hoe than I have with my .22, so actually a 4 iron is probably better defense than a gun.

post #47 of 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkolo View Post
 

I'm glad you guys saw fit not to shoot it.

We were a bunch of teenagers, so it wasn't as though there were even any guns in the vicinity. That said, it would've put a big hole in the green, not to mention the fact that they're a very small target. As dbuck mentioned, an iron would be your best defense against a snake.

post #48 of 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patch View Post
 

I am legal to carry my weapons, but seldom do.

Same here. The purpose in the beginning was I was the primary money handler/manager for a somewhat large auto dealership in a bad part of town. Those that lived in CO know of the rampant criminal activity along Colfax on the 80's and 90's. It was an hourly occurrence to witness prostitution, drug deals, domestic violence and assaults from the steps of our site. I often left alone well after dark when it was prime time for crime. When I changed jobs the guns never left the house.

 

Even now looking back I'm not certain it was a good idea. This topic comes up frequently on other forums. My experience is most, regardless of how well they have been trained to handle a weapon, possess the critical reasoning it takes to handle the mental part of it should a situation arise. Then there is the potential liability, a bystander gets shot, you react in a way you shouldn't have in the heat of the moment etc, things escalate because you pulled a piece. Even when there is a justifiable shooting it often ends in court. Money is spent defending the innocent. Lives are changed forever. You really have to ask yourself is it worth it to take the risk. Especially if there is a different way to manage the situation. This thread is a prime example IMO. If you can't handle drunk golfer without a gun you probably aren't the person I want around when the shit hits the fan.

post #49 of 354
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave2512 View Post

 

 You really have to ask yourself is it worth it to take the risk. Especially if there is a different way to manage the situation. This thread is a prime example IMO. If you can't handle drunk golfer without a gun you probably aren't the person I want around when the shit hits the fan.

 

Amen, Brother!  This is gospel. :doh:

post #50 of 354

I can't even play golf with my wallet, phone or keys in my pocket ... I sure as heck couldn't play with a gun in my pocket.

 

If it appears as though I have one, it's an illusion ... I'm actually just happy to see you.:-P

post #51 of 354
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave2512 View Post

Same here. The purpose in the beginning was I was the primary money handler/manager for a somewhat large auto dealership in a bad part of town. Those that lived in CO know of the rampant criminal activity along Colfax on the 80's and 90's. It was an hourly occurrence to witness prostitution, drug deals, domestic violence and assaults from the steps of our site. I often left alone well after dark when it was prime time for crime. When I changed jobs the guns never left the house.

Even now looking back I'm not certain it was a good idea. This topic comes up frequently on other forums. My experience is most, regardless of how well they have been trained to handle a weapon, possess the critical reasoning it takes to handle the mental part of it should a situation arise. Then there is the potential liability, a bystander gets shot, you react in a way you shouldn't have in the heat of the moment etc, things escalate because you pulled a piece. Even when there is a justifiable shooting it often ends in court. Money is spent defending the innocent. Lives are changed forever. You really have to ask yourself is it worth it to take the risk. Especially if there is a different way to manage the situation. This thread is a prime example IMO. If you can't handle drunk golfer without a gun you probably aren't the person I want around when the shit hits the fan.
Enlighten me. Drunk, irate person 15 feet away from you begins advancing with a weapon. What do YOU do? Try to talk him down as he's beating on your ass with a club? Sorry, I'm not rolling the dice on that one. I'm not running away and leaving my 62 year old dad to hang out to dry either.
post #52 of 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardballs View Post


But concealed handguns?? It's asking for trouble! But I suppose if your brought up in Dallas/Texas and places that have done this for years then I suppose it just seems normal and no big deal! I don't care either way! But if in the uk we were allowed to carry, I don't think I would! Especially on the course! I'd be uploading in bunkers, greens everywhere!

It's a sign of the times since 9/11... and the politics of the current period.

post #53 of 354
Guns on the Golf Course? I thought the G in Golf stood for Gentleman. No offense to anyone here or whatever but threads like this make me appreciate living here in Northern California. I cant even remember the last time I've even seen a real gun in person not on the waist of a cop.
post #54 of 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by bshalcomb View Post


Enlighten me. Drunk irate person 15 feet away from you begins advancing with a weapon. What do YOU do?

Offer them a beer and crack a joke to calm them down. Maybe a half hearted apology for whatever they think I did wrong, it's a golf course not Omaha Beach. Damn sure not going to reach for a gun. In my 46 years, some of which were lived very hard, I've never felt so threatened a gun would have been the answer. And that includes the times it's come to fighting, yes I've been in a few.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Golf Talk
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Golf Talk › Concealed Carry on The Course