or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Practice Range › Instruction and Playing Tips › Loss of distance! About 45 yards irons.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Loss of distance! About 45 yards irons.

post #1 of 7
Thread Starter 

Hei

 

I'm struck.

 

Had a occasionally fade/slice playing my irons and decided to go to the pro to fix that. Changed my swingplane to inside-out, swingthougt : hit a hook, improved the release to curve the ball in, aiming right to the target. Good. For a few days.

 

Now I got the biggest down since ever.... my shots lost about 45yards per iron. this means: i got about 120 yards for my P-Wedge, now I'm back to 70-80.... feeling like a noob. Driver and woods are straight and absolute no distance lost.

 

Did someone of you had the same experience and what is your fixing tip? It lasts for 3 Weeks now.

 

Greetz!

post #2 of 7

Post a video of your swing with your irons. 

 

You can start your own "My Swing" thread here, 

 

http://thesandtrap.com/f/4180/member-swings

post #3 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by saevel25 View Post
 

Post a video of your swing with your irons. 

 

You can start your own "My Swing" thread here, 

 

http://thesandtrap.com/f/4180/member-swings

 

+1.

 

Also, what does your pro say?  If I had to guess, I'd guess that you've developed a severe flip in that effort to "release".  But the only way to tell is to see your swing.

post #4 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by create79 View Post
 

Hei

 

I'm struck.

 

Had a occasionally fade/slice playing my irons and decided to go to the pro to fix that. Changed my swingplane to inside-out, swingthougt : hit a hook, improved the release to curve the ball in, aiming right to the target. Good. For a few days.

 

Now I got the biggest down since ever.... my shots lost about 45yards per iron. this means: i got about 120 yards for my P-Wedge, now I'm back to 70-80.... feeling like a noob. Driver and woods are straight and absolute no distance lost.

 

Did someone of you had the same experience and what is your fixing tip? It lasts for 3 Weeks now.

 

Greetz!

 

I would say you are probably hitting the ball fat.  That is a pretty big loss of distance.

post #5 of 7
Thread Starter 

Was at the Range yesterday and figured out, that the "V" of my right hand was pointing at my left shoulder (I'm right-handed). Indeed it is surely one of the problems causing the loss of distance (now, i gained 20-30 yards rotating the V to point at my right shoulder).

 

What happend? I tried to explain myself why the grip caused the loss.

- First, the backswing is surely not in plane (but this is not a big loss for my understandings, sure it is, but not that much)

- Secondly - and this is what I want to ask you guys? - doing the release doesnt close the club completely, so I cut the ball (not sure that this term is correct). Doing so, the loft is much greater and the ball goes much higher loosing distance.

 

Could this be?

post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by create79 View Post
 

Was at the Range yesterday and figured out, that the "V" of my right hand was pointing at my left shoulder (I'm right-handed). Indeed it is surely one of the problems causing the loss of distance (now, i gained 20-30 yards rotating the V to point at my right shoulder).

 

What happend? I tried to explain myself why the grip caused the loss.

- First, the backswing is surely not in plane (but this is not a big loss for my understandings, sure it is, but not that much)

- Secondly - and this is what I want to ask you guys? - doing the release doesnt close the club completely, so I cut the ball (not sure that this term is correct). Doing so, the loft is much greater and the ball goes much higher loosing distance.

 

Could this be?

Yeah because you were flipping the club through the impact zone causing the club to have way more loft than it's meant to have, try this drill, next time at the range use just a 7 iron and get set up like you normally do then get up on your toes with your right foot and try a swing, this will make you hit the ball with a more descending blow and you will see your distance return instantly.

post #7 of 7
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by flopster View Post
 

Yeah because you were flipping the club through the impact zone causing the club to have way more loft than it's meant to have, try this drill, next time at the range use just a 7 iron and get set up like you normally do then get up on your toes with your right foot and try a swing, this will make you hit the ball with a more descending blow and you will see your distance return instantly.

Thx - going to try this this afternoon. Having a pro lesson there migth be (surely) some other input. we'll see.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Instruction and Playing Tips
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Practice Range › Instruction and Playing Tips › Loss of distance! About 45 yards irons.