or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Golf Talk › My home course slope and rating
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

My home course slope and rating - Page 3

post #37 of 44

This is a course about 30 minutes from my house that's rated at 75.5 from the tournament tees, but the longest they usually put out are the 74.3 rated Black tees. Still a long and difficult course regardless, with a slope of 140.

post #38 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abu3baid View Post

Which one is it? Sounds like one that I should visit if I ever get good at this game!

Oak Hill CC. Have had the chance to play there several times through my friend, and my other friend's father. It was humbling!
post #39 of 44
Par is based on yardage, or at least used to be. under 275 yards is a par 3, under 475 is a par 4. Above is a par 5. I know there are monster holes that are par 7, but I don't know the rules for those. Maybe they are just what the designer thinks they should be. Professional tournaments will break these rules.

Usually, a 276 yard par 4 will not produce the same scores as a 474 yard par 4. The rating will be based on the scores recorded on a hole.
post #40 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by vangator View Post

Par is based on yardage, or at least used to be. under 275 yards is a par 3, under 475 is a par 4. Above is a par 5. I know there are monster holes that are par 7, but I don't know the rules for those. Maybe they are just what the designer thinks they should be. Professional tournaments will break these rules.

Usually, a 276 yard par 4 will not produce the same scores as a 474 yard par 4. The rating will be based on the scores recorded on a hole.

 

  I know this used to be true but either the USGA chgd it or some clubs don't adhere to it.   First 3 holes the other day were all Par 4's  492, 479, and 483

post #41 of 44

Course rating is based on the score a scratch player should average when playing the course.  It is heavily weighted on the effective playing length, because the scratch player's accuracy will help him avoid many of the obstacles.  

 

The Slope rating is based on the difficulty that a bogey golfer would have overcoming the obstacles that the course places in his way.  Effective playing length is also a consideration in this number, but usually carries less weight than other difficulty factors.

post #42 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by atxpkrgolf View Post

  I know this used to be true but either the USGA chgd it or some clubs don't adhere to it.   First 3 holes the other day were all Par 4's  492, 479, and 483

These are the yardages for the course you play? I've never played a course that violated the 275 / 475 rule. I guess balls and equipment are changing the rules.
post #43 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by vangator View Post

These are the yardages for the course you play? I've never played a course that violated the 275 / 475 rule. I guess balls and equipment are changing the rules.

Yes. TPC Craig Ranch. It's 7438. Par 71. Several pros use this site as their home course. I've seen Tyrone Awegen (sp?) and KJ Choi out there recently. I have never played a course with a par 3 over 245 to my recollection . We're playin tmrw but from 1 up which is 7000 so I get a breather 😃. In fact, in prep for state Mid Am, we are playing from 6700-7000 yes since that will be the setup. I doubt I'll make a thread about it in case I suck, lol. I haven't played in a tournament in over a decade:-(
post #44 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by vangator View Post


These are the yardages for the course you play? I've never played a course that violated the 275 / 475 rule. I guess balls and equipment are changing the rules.

The Wissahickon course at the Philadelphia Cricket Club has a few par 4s close to/greater than 500 yards.

 

http://www.philacricket.com/files/Wissahickon%20Course%20Reduced.pdf

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Golf Talk
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Golf Talk › My home course slope and rating