or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Pro Shop › Clubs, Grips, Shafts, Fitting › Shopping for new irons tomorrow!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Shopping for new irons tomorrow! - Page 2

post #19 of 31

Shazsam (Gomer Pyle reference), OP, I want to have your swing speed!

 

in my dreams...

 

Congrats on your game and irons.

post #20 of 31
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Desmond View Post

Shazsam (Gomer Pyle reference), OP, I want to have your swing speed!

in my dreams...

Congrats on your game and irons.
An interesting thing I found was that on a different launch monitor (I also went to Golfsmith along with the PGA Superstore) they had my swingspeed at 87 instead of the 90's. The Golfsmith monitor was the little optical one that sits in front of you at address, so I'm not sure which to believe. The golfsmith one also, oddly enough, showed me hitting the ball further than at the Superstore so I feel like it may not be accurate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cipher View Post

Congrats on the new irons @Pretzel! I hope you enjoy them, I am loving mine. Three things I feel are better about them compared to when I had i20s. They get through the rough easier, especially in the long irons. Which makes sense because of the progressive size of the i20-25 irons. I feel like the dispersion is tighter. And they also are easier for me to move left to right when I need to(I think this is just an appearance thing for me and being able to address the ball more open.). Have fun!
Part of the reason I favored the s55's over the i25's (besides the measurably tighter dispersion) was the fact that I like the smaller head for the rough and tighter lies. Near the end of the summer my home course starts running out of irrigation water and the fairways get brown and hard, which (at least to me) feels better hitting with a thinner sole on. I hit the s56's versus my current clubs on the course a year ago in those conditions, so that's what I'm basing my preferences off.
post #21 of 31
You really can't go with swing speed on trackman. Mizuno system is much more accurate. Ball flight is good with the trackman but distances are sketchy.
post #22 of 31
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valleygolfer View Post

You really can't go with swing speed on trackman. Mizuno system is much more accurate. Ball flight is good with the trackman but distances are sketchy.
It wasn't a Trackman. It was one of the cheap optical sensors, hence the reason I'm skeptical of its results (the one at Golfsmith).
post #23 of 31

Congratz on the new irons. Hope you hit them well..

post #24 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valleygolfer View Post

You really can't go with swing speed on trackman. Mizuno system is much more accurate. Ball flight is good with the trackman but distances are sketchy.

 

That's not accurate. TrackMan and FlightScope measure the clubhead speed. It's not calculated or a guess.

post #25 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by iacas View Post

That's not accurate. TrackMan and FlightScope measure the clubhead speed. It's not calculated or a guess.
I assume you mean it is "calculated" and not a guess.

According to the fitters I have seen, for shaft flex the Mizuno system is a better choice. I experienced differences in swing speed considerably with trackman and that obviously could be human error. Two different guys said this, at different stores, who fit regularly while sorting out what shaft to choose. They fitted me on Mizuno system and then took me to the trackman.
post #26 of 31
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valleygolfer View Post

I assume you mean it is "calculated" and not a guess.

According to the fitters I have seen, for shaft flex the Mizuno system is a better choice. I experienced differences in swing speed considerably with trackman and that obviously could be human error. Two different guys said this, at different stores, who fit regularly while sorting out what shaft to choose. They fitted me on Mizuno system and then took me to the trackman.
The Trackman measures your swing speed in a similar manner to how they measure the speed of a pitcher's throw in baseball. It directly tracks the club to measure the speed. That's why I wish they had a Trackman, because they're a lot more accurate than almost any other launch monitor.
post #27 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valleygolfer View Post

I assume you mean it is "calculated" and not a guess.

 

No, it is directly measured. It is not calculated. Only the face stuff is calculated, basically.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valleygolfer View Post

According to the fitters I have seen, for shaft flex the Mizuno system is a better choice. I experienced differences in swing speed considerably with trackman and that obviously could be human error. Two different guys said this, at different stores, who fit regularly while sorting out what shaft to choose. They fitted me on Mizuno system and then took me to the trackman.

 

I disagree with those fitters about clubhead speed.

 

Shaft flex has a tempo component. That matters quite a bit when fitting for shafts. A person can have a slower swing but need a stiffer shaft if they have a faster tempo or a quick transition, for example.

post #28 of 31
Thread Starter 

I got my new irons today. I actually had to cancel the order put in with Ping when I went back and tested to find that the CFS had equal performance to the KBS shafts for me. I bought a set of them from the store since I need to get in some rounds with them before tryouts in August, and I went out to play some rounds with them. Unfortunately, torrential rain with some hail stopped me after six holes so I didn't get too much playing in with them, but first impressions are nice. On the range there was a noticeable improvement in the dispersion. Picking a target at my PW distance I was able to hit 16 balls in a row on the green with the new club on average and an average of only 12 balls in a row with my old wedge (I rounded these numbers). The clubs were surprisingly easy to hit, nothing like what I'd been led to believe a club advertised on the PING website as a "Tour" iron would feel like. Even on thin shots they held their line with fairly minimal loss of distance. Fat shots tended to dig a little bit more, but that's just because of the thinner sole with a bit less bounce than the Eye 2's. Overall I'm looking forward to getting out and playing a full round with them after I get back from Indianapolis on Saturday (I fly out tomorrow).

post #29 of 31

Very good thread, good luck with the irons.

post #30 of 31

Geeeez! that was quick, have fun with the new irons, great choice.

 

Now was that a passive brag or what? You hit 16 balls in a row with the PW, and hit the green with all of them?

 

I'd be lucky to hit 3 or 4 out of 16 tries. Geeeeeezus sign this guy up for the tour.

post #31 of 31
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motley01 View Post
 

Geeeez! that was quick, have fun with the new irons, great choice.

 

Now was that a passive brag or what? You hit 16 balls in a row with the PW, and hit the green with all of them?

 

I'd be lucky to hit 3 or 4 out of 16 tries. Geeeeeezus sign this guy up for the tour.

It was on the range, so not really an accurate assessment of on-course performance. When you have an ideal lie every time with no pressure it's pretty easy to hit an admittedly large green on the driving range.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Clubs, Grips, Shafts, Fitting
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Pro Shop › Clubs, Grips, Shafts, Fitting › Shopping for new irons tomorrow!