or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Golf Talk › Why Tiger is due for a great comeback!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Why Tiger is due for a great comeback! - Page 3

post #37 of 48

5 years ago I was sure he was going to break Jack's 18-major-wins record.

But now, I think that record is safe for another 25 years.

post #38 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by BallMarker View Post
 

5 years ago I was sure he was going to break Jack's 18-major-wins record.

But now, I think that record is safe for another 25 years.

 

If he does not break it I do not think anyone ever will.  

post #39 of 48
It's easy to second guess Tiger in a number of ways specifically when it comes to swing coaches; not only has he had three swing coaches throughout his career, he has rebuilt his swing from the ground up each time. But you have to appreciate his work ethic on the practice range between tournaments. Is he rusty around the edges? Oh heck yeah! Will he win more majors ? You better believe it !
post #40 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by turtleback View Post

If he does not break it I do not think anyone ever will.  

It's not too late for tiger yet.
.
Someone will break it...at some time in the future.
I probably will be long gone by then....a4_sad.gif
post #41 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan Jeff View Post

It's easy to second guess Tiger in a number of ways specifically when it comes to swing coaches; not only has he had three swing coaches throughout his career, he has rebuilt his swing from the ground up each time. But you have to appreciate his work ethic on the practice range between tournaments. Is he rusty around the edges? Oh heck yeah! Will he win more majors ? You better believe it !

Answering one's own questions....priceless.a1_smile.gifa2_wink.gifb2_tongue.gif:-\f5_nono.gif
post #42 of 48

I can understand the argument that he's bottomed out and has nowhere to go but up. However, in golf there is no rock bottom.

 

I think it's foolish to assume he'll definitely play better; I think he's still talented enough to have chances at some majors, but he could also still get a lot worse, and he's got enough exemptions to play extremely badly and still play events for years. 

 

Personally I'd like to see him win another major but I think there are too many good players in his way for him to ever dominate again.

post #43 of 48

O.K  Before I comment, I'd like everyone to know I'm a big Tiger fan (owner of DVD books etc ), but if I was his manager I'd be hooking him up ( if you know what I mean ) Man this guy played some of the most amazing golf ever seen while he was  ummm ..  you know.. "doing the business'.

 

It's no brainer I think !

 

cheers

 

17 

post #44 of 48

I think I'll take a "wait and see".  When they mess with your spine it sometimes works but often not.  Certainly Tiger is a skilled competitor, but an older one now with some chronic issues.  

post #45 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEVENTEEN 17 View Post
 

O.K  Before I comment, I'd like everyone to know I'm a big Tiger fan (owner of DVD books etc ), but if I was his manager I'd be hooking him up ( if you know what I mean ) Man this guy played some of the most amazing golf ever seen while he was  ummm ..  you know.. "doing the business'.

 

It's no brainer I think !

 

cheers

 

17

How do you know he is no longer "doing the business"?

I mean he's not married anymore. And Von already said she isn't interested in getting married.....[with Tiger]

post #46 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by BallMarker View Post

.
Someone will break it...at some time in the future.
I probably will be long gone by then....a4_sad.gif

 

I disagree.  I think all the reason Jack gave in 1996 why there will ever be another superstar in golf were completely correct.  The only thing he never counted on was the emergence of a one of a kind talent.  And by talent I mean the whole package, physical, work capacity, 

 

And even if another similarly talented player emerges in the future, the mountain keeps eting higher because of the continuing strengthening of fields that has been going on for 50 years.  Which means if a Tiger-level talent emerges in the future winning 8 majors may be more difficult than winning 14 in Tiger's day.  Even if he's BETTER than Tiger he might only win 6-10 majors.  Just like some of us say that Tiger winning 14 was more difficult and challenging than Jack wining 18.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuciusWooding View Post

 

Personally I'd like to see him win another major but I think there are too many good players in his way for him to ever dominate again.

 

Depends what you mean by dominate.  Did he dominate in 2013 when he won more times in a year than any active player has ever done with the exception of Vijay?  And in which 3 of his 5 wins were among the top 8 stroke play events in terms of quality of fields and prestige. 

 

If that is domination then I think he will.  If by domination you mean 1999-2008 level domination, which no player in the history of golf ever achieved, then yes, you are probably correct.  But then again, if you mean THAT level of domination then no player in golfing history has ever dominated for more than a year or two at a level that Tiger maintained for a 10 year period.  

post #47 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by turtleback View Post
 

I disagree.  I think all the reason Jack gave in 1996 why there will ever be another superstar in golf were completely correct.

 

Ditto. I don't think anyone will break it during the 2000s. Tiger has the only chance (and it's not a very good one) to get to 19. Nobody else will do it in the 20xxs (by the 2100s golf may no longer look like golf, there may be six majors for all I know, etc.).

post #48 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEVENTEEN 17 View Post
 

O.K  Before I comment, I'd like everyone to know I'm a big Tiger fan (owner of DVD books etc ), but if I was his manager I'd be hooking him up ( if you know what I mean ) Man this guy played some of the most amazing golf ever seen while he was  ummm ..  you know.. "doing the business'.

 

It's no brainer I think !

 

cheers

 

17 

Any chance that this kind of comment could become a thing of the past by the time Tiger retires? The joke was old two years ago. And wasn't even funny then.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Golf Talk
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Golf Talk › Why Tiger is due for a great comeback!