or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The 19th Hole › The Grill Room › I finally tried putting butter in my coffee
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

I finally tried putting butter in my coffee - Page 3

post #37 of 98
Anyone put butter on their steaks?
post #38 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlSpackler View Post
 

I don't think so, but first thing in the morning, who knows what I've accidentally put in. :-)

 

I was going to ask like salt or corn starch?

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by colin007 View Post

Anyone put butter on their steaks?


Thai Food. Penang Beef. That's about it.

 

Edit: I thought you stated peanut butter.

 

Yes of course, I've put butter on my steaks. Now olive oil for reasons like @Mr. Desmond mentioned below.

post #39 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by colin007 View Post

Anyone put butter on their steaks?

Before the heart attacks, yes... blue cheese, too.

post #40 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by colin007 View Post

Anyone put butter on their steaks?
You mean to finish them? Sometimes. When I do filet mignon on the BBQ I constantly baste with olive oil with multiple, generous showers of Fleur de Sel. People always raise their eyebrows and say, "Jeez, that's an awful lot of olive oil. Are you sure about that??" Then I slap the sizzling hot steak onto a platter of fresh, chopped fresh sage and rosemary. The aromas!!! Oh my!!! Then they bite into the steak and go, "OK, now I get the constant baste of olive oil" Classic Italian style.

You only live once, eat well.

a2_wink.gif
post #41 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest Jones View Post


You mean to finish them? Sometimes. When I do filet mignon on the BBQ I constantly baste with olive oil with multiple, generous showers of Fleur de Sel. People always raise their eyebrows and say, "Jeez, that's an awful lot of olive oil. Are you sure about that??" Then I slap the sizzling hot steak onto a platter of fresh, chopped fresh sage and rosemary. The aromas!!! Oh my!!! Then they bite into the steak and go, "OK, now I get the constant baste of olive oil" Classic Italian style.

You only live once, eat well.

a2_wink.gif

 

Never tried the fresh sage and fresh rosemary, now I need to.

post #42 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by colin007 View Post

Anyone put butter on their steaks?

I like to make a simple compound butter for steak. Along with the butter, a little garlic and shallot lightly sautéed in olive oil, cracked pepper, rosemary and sage.
post #43 of 98
Butter is great with

Seafood in general but especially lobster and shrimp! Mmmmmm lemon butter sauce!
post #44 of 98

All this talk about food is getting me hungry, especially the steaks.

 

Off topic, but certainly appetizing. :beer: 

post #45 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by David in FL View Post

I like to make a simple compound butter for steak. Along with the butter, a little garlic and shallot lightly sautéed in olive oil, cracked pepper, rosemary and sage.

Tarragon compound butter is pretty good.
post #46 of 98
I have a sister that owns a coffee shop and she showed me the butter/coffee combo.... It is supposed to be some fo fo grass only fed cows butter and something else special about it.... I looked it up of course its one of those absorb fat burn fat stupid trends.......
Only way I taint my coffee is with half and half, would drink straight black but after 5 or 6 cups it gets to my stomach:/
post #47 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamo View Post

Tarragon compound butter is pretty good.

I LOVE tarragon......I use it a lot, but I'm not a big fan of it with steak. Personal preference... The absolute bomb with fish though!
post #48 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by David in FL View Post


I LOVE tarragon......I use it a lot, but I'm not a big fan of it with steak. Personal preference... The absolute bomb with fish though!

Gotta go with you there...

 

 

Steak is best when simple -- olive oil, sea salt, cracked pepper, a hot, hot, hot grill to sear the outside, leave the inside medium rare, You want that firm outer crust and tender inside.

 

(Some hints if needed to char: sprinkle a little sugar on the steak to get the flame to rise and char the outside)

 

I would place a little stilton on top for my ex, but I liked my steak simple with a big Cabernet or Chatauneuf du Pape, and then wine infused garlic mushrooms on the side.

 

Then I would raise my glass to the world, and say

 

Sante'

post #49 of 98
Sorry to contradict you grill guys, but the best way to prepare steak is on a screaming hot cast iron skillet.
post #50 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by colin007 View Post

Sorry to contradict you grill guys, but the best way to prepare steak is on a screaming hot cast iron skillet.
Summer = open flame
Winter = cast iron skillet with browned butter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Desmond View Post

Gotta go with you there...


Steak is best when simple -- olive oil, sea salt, cracked pepper, a hot, hot, hot grill to sear the outside, leave the inside medium rare, You want that firm outer crust and tender inside.

(Some hints if needed to char: sprinkle a little sugar on the steak to get the flame to rise and char the outside)

I would place a little stilton on top for my ex, but I liked my steak simple with a big Cabernet or Chatauneuf du Pape, and then wine infused garlic mushrooms on the side.

Then I would raise my glass to the world, and say

Sante'
I don't disagree entirely but it depends greatly on the type of steak you're cooking. Rib eyes need nothing more than salt and pepper but filet mignon needs a little extra or it'll be too bland.
post #51 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest Jones View Post


Summer = open flame
Winter = cast iron skillet with browned butter

I don't disagree entirely but it depends greatly on the type of steak you're cooking. Rib eyes need nothing more than salt and pepper but filet mignon needs a little extra or it'll be too bland.

 

 

Yep, pretty much.

 

FAT = TASTY!!! Leaner meats need a bit extra to make them taste better. 

post #52 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest Jones View Post


Summer = open flame
Winter = cast iron skillet with browned butter

I don't disagree entirely but it depends greatly on the type of steak you're cooking. Rib eyes need nothing more than salt and pepper but filet mignon needs a little extra or it'll be too bland.

Agree. Whole Foods has Toronto Steak Seasoning, which works well to my tastes for filets.

post #53 of 98

I prefer a dry rub in most cases. Doesn't need to sit like a marinade and it forms a tasty crust. Not necessarily for all meat though. Olive oil and sriracha is great for pork or chicken. 

 

Regarding strawberries and pepper, I like them chopped into a salsa with fresh ripe habaneros, cilantro, peach, mango, and served with salted tortilla chips and/or over vanilla ice cream. Just wash your hands before going to the bathroom.

 

Regarding salt in coffee, @saevel25 is right since it can cut bitterness slightly and slightly add body. Not much though, around like 4 or 5 flakes of coarse kosher salt per cup. There's a little bit of difference between different water and soil around the world and it can give a different minerally taste to things like beer, tea, and coffee. 

post #54 of 98

My uncle would put butter on donuts.  He was wicked fat and kind of an a-hole.

 

Steve (@nevets88 ),

 

You find the best, oddest, coolest stuff to post in this forum.  :dance:

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: The Grill Room
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The 19th Hole › The Grill Room › I finally tried putting butter in my coffee