or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Tour Talk › Bubba's Act Still Not Playing Well Overseas
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Bubba's Act Still Not Playing Well Overseas

post #1 of 45
Thread Starter 

http://www.golf.com/tour-and-news/bubba-watson-2014-british-open

 

It will be tough for him to overcome this impression.

post #2 of 45
The way things on the course bother Bubba, he seems like Monty with a southern accent. He also seems proud of his ignorance in certain situations. Sometimes it makes me wonder if the folks at UGa cringe when Bubba claims to be a proud alumni. I think most people like to watch Bubba play, and they want to like him, but quite often when he opens his mouth, he makes it impossible.
post #3 of 45
Thread Starter 

This sentence struck me as curious:

 

"Bubba bogeyed with the locals before he even teed off, admitting that he didn’t know the name of a single member of the Beatles"

 

You would have to be living under a rock not to know John, Paul, George and Ringo.
 

post #4 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by boogielicious View Post
 

This sentence struck me as curious:

 

"Bubba bogeyed with the locals before he even teed off, admitting that he didn’t know the name of a single member of the Beatles"

 

You would have to be living under a rock not to know John, Paul, George and Ringo.
 

That surprised me too, but then I realized he was probably just trying to be funny and came off as a dick instead. I think that happens to him a lot.

post #5 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by boogielicious View Post

This sentence struck me as curious:

"Bubba bogeyed with the locals before he even teed off, admitting that he didn’t know the name of a single member of the Beatles"

You would have to be living under a rock not to know John, Paul, George and Ringo.


 

Rory couldn't name them all either. He got George Lucas confused with George Harrison.
post #6 of 45
Thread Starter 

I guess I can forgive them as they didn't grow up during Beatlemania!  But my son and god kids can name them all!

post #7 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by boogielicious View Post

I guess I can forgive them as they didn't grow up during Beatlemania!  But my son and god kids can name them all!
It's cultural history. I guess some people just aren't into that.

OT, but I remember during a marketing class I had, the professor started playing the intro to "Pride" by U2, and he asked if anyone knew what it was. Only the two Irish study abroad girls and myself raised our hands.

Back on topic, I've never been much of a Bubba fan, myself. He always struck me as a bit of a tool.
post #8 of 45

There is a  lot of good in Bubba - charity work, going back to school, tries to be a role model, helps with youth golf, attempts to live his life in a Christian manner - but then Bubba is also an emotional roller coaster at times who lives in a golf bubble most of the time. For the more sophisticated crowd, Bubba comes across as too crass, too down to earth "Southern" man, etc. And did I mention he is an emotional roller coaster?

 

It's Bubba.

 

Accept...

 

Criticism is fine. Bubba forgives.

 

:-)

 

And if I had not introduced my sons to the Beatles, they would not even know the boys existed. I mean, it's over 50 years since '62, and 35 years or so since the breakup.

post #9 of 45
Quote:
 he seems like Monty with a southern accent

 

I like that.

 

Right after WW2 my Mom was a UGa sorority girl and she never had much use for the Bubba type.  Pr'ly why she married a Ramblin' wreck.  And Bubba doesn't quite have it together enough to be what Dad used to call a  'jellybean.'  Lotsa talent there, and the usual publicized good works, but, for my taste, a little too much of the spoiled kid who decided negative attention is better than no attention and that smart ass stupid beats, "I don't know, sir," for an answer.

post #10 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Desmond View Post

There is a  lot of good in Bubba - charity work, going back to school, tries to be a role model, helps with youth golf, attempts to live his life in a Christian manner - but then Bubba is also an emotional roller coaster at times who lives in a golf bubble most of the time. For the more sophisticated crowd, Bubba comes across as too crass, too down to earth "Southern" man, etc. And did I mention he is an emotional roller coaster?

It's Bubba.

Accept...

Criticism is fine. Bubba forgives.

a1_smile.gif

And if I had not introduced my sons to the Beatles, they would not even know the boys existed. I mean, it's over 50 years since '62, and 35 years or so since the breakup.
When I think about a "down to earth Southern man", I think of a guy like Boo. Sometimes, Bubba comes off as ill mannered and mean spirited. I really don't think sophistication has anything to do with one's nature. I have lived in the south 49 of my 60 years, and I believe, the "Southern man"that Bubba represents is called a redneck.
post #11 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by caniac6 View Post


When I think about a "down to earth Southern man", I think of a guy like Boo. Sometimes, Bubba comes off as ill mannered and mean spirited. I really don't think sophistication has anything to do with one's nature. I have lived in the south 49 of my 60 years, and I believe, the "Southern man"that Bubba represents is called a redneck.

Agreed. The "too crass" and "overly emotional" are what may represent some of the "redneck" portion of Bubba.

 

:-)

 

Oh, well, it's Bubba.

post #12 of 45

Lets put it this way, if Bubba wasn't so naturally talented at golf, he would be washing dishes at a Waffle House.

 

To me he doesn't appreciate or is thankful that he plays golf and makes millions of dollars doing it. After winning a tournament, he thanks the lord. But he doesn't thank the tournament staff, maintenance crews, or any body else.

post #13 of 45

Ya know, he's right about the number of people on the fairway though. Each one of the games has a scorer, a rules official, a scores board carrier, bunker raker, and then a whole host of mobile cameramen, sound personnel and cocks with mic's. Did anyone see McIlory nearly bean one talking head who was standing in the first cut of rough, thinking he was far enough from the tee from a bomb? If he the ball had hit him and triggered into the shit, I would not have blamed McIlroy for taking a swing at the guy.

 

Waay too many people inside the ropes.

post #14 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motley01 View Post
 

Lets put it this way, if Bubba wasn't so naturally talented at golf, he would be washing dishes at a Waffle House.

 

To me he doesn't appreciate or is thankful that he plays golf and makes millions of dollars doing it. After winning a tournament, he thanks the lord. But he doesn't thank the tournament staff, maintenance crews, or any body else.


Yup. Totally agree.

 

Here's hoping he never wins again. **** em.

post #15 of 45

Well, hopefully none of us allow grass to grow under our feet -- and ultimately we see ourselves, learn, make changes, and move forward (personal growth).

 

Unfortunately, many of us allow that grass to grow ... for various reasons.

 

Here's to Bubba, and the rest of us ... may we keep moving forward.:beer:

post #16 of 45
Bubba Watson can be a baby at times, and he's not on my top-10 list or anything. That bring said, he's still a genuine guy and family man who gives back quite a bit. He just feels more comfortable at certain venues/events, and he lets it known when he doesn't. I'd much rather a guy like him than a guy who just smiles and waves every week.

Some of you definitely took it a bit too far. Lol
post #17 of 45
I can't expect someone else to find something as important as I do so who cares if he knows the Beatles. Secondly Bubba is allowed to have no patience but it is also why he falters in these tournaments. This lack of patience and internal (see selfishness) focus causes him to lack appreciation of others while "in the moment".

He will be an easy target for the European media for a long time.
post #18 of 45
Even though I think the Beatles suck ass I still know all of them. Anyways, Bubba's a giant douchey baby.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Tour Talk
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Tour Talk › Bubba's Act Still Not Playing Well Overseas