or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Rules of Golf › Hitting without opponents
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Hitting without opponents

post #1 of 13
Thread Starter 
Playing a match today 2 on 2. Well we had to make a stop at the clubhouse at the turn. When we got to #10 tee, the other team had tee'd off and refused to hit again while we were there. Is that legal?
post #2 of 13
Provided it was their honour, they were not required by any Rule I know of to wait until you were present to see them. Such a rule would be very time-consuming, if you think of it . Consider the times in a game when you are not in a position to see an opponent or fellow competitor playing a shot.

Your correct procedure if you believed they had breached a rule by not waiting, was to tell them you were making a claim and take the matter to the Committee after the game. The Committee would decide and the state of the match would be adjusted if necessary. See Rule 2-5 for the detail of how to do this.

Not waiting for you to return before playing off was either discourteous or sensibly time-saving. Take your pick.
post #3 of 13
Time saving common sense! I would do the same and expect others to do the same with me! In fact I'd insist on it...Regardless of who's honours it was!
post #4 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardballs View Post

Time saving common sense! I would do the same and expect others to do the same with me! In fact I'd insist on it...Regardless of who's honours it was!

 

In a match it does matter whose honor it is.  If you play out of turn in a match the shot can be recalled at the discretion of your opponent.  In stroke play there is no such provision, and there is no penalty stroke attached in either case.

 

To the OP, what I just said was your only option.  If it was their honor, then you have no claim.

post #5 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourputt View Post

In a match it does matter whose honor it is.  If you play out of turn in a match the shot can be recalled at the discretion of your opponent.  In stroke play there is no such provision, and there is no penalty stroke attached in either case.

To the OP, what I just said was your only option.  If it was their honor, then you have no claim.
Fair point! I don't enter tourneys, Not yet anyway but I plan to next year, i try to play by the rules though, but I'm more than willing to bend the rules to keep pace of play!
I do like the rule questions brought up on this forum and I'm going to start making a few notes I think for when I do enter tourneys!
Knowledge is power as they say!
post #6 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardballs View Post


Fair point! I don't enter tourneys, Not yet anyway but I plan to next year, i try to play by the rules though, but I'm more than willing to bend the rules to keep pace of play!
I do like the rule questions brought up on this forum and I'm going to start making a few notes I think for when I do enter tourneys!
Knowledge is power as they say!

 

I think this is more of a match play rules issue than a tournament issue.  When we play match play, even in a private match, strict order of play is maintained unless permission is given for a particular shot by the opponents (which none of us would ever unreasonably withhold in non-strategic situations).  An important element of match play is the strategy and when order of play is not maintained then a lot of the strategy can be lost.

post #7 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by turtleback View Post

I think this is more of a match play rules issue than a tournament issue.  When we play match play, even in a private match, strict order of play is maintained unless permission is given for a particular shot by the opponents (which none of us would ever unreasonably withhold in non-strategic situations).  An important element of match play is the strategy and when order of play is not maintained then a lot of the strategy can be lost.
Good point also!!!
post #8 of 13

Both Fourputt and I have referred to the matter of who had the honour because if the OP's side had had the honour and their opponents had played out of turn, the OP's side could have recalled the strokes. Hardball looks for common sense in saving time - regardless of whose honour it was.

 

To clarify the situation where the OP's side has the honour.  .  If the opponents play out of turn without agreement, their strokes could have been recalled.  But if the OP's side say that although it is their honour their opponents should  just tee off first to save time, that is permissible. The opponents cannot insist on teeing off first;  it is up to the OP's side to agree,

post #9 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColinL View Post
 

Both Fourputt and I have referred to the matter of who had the honour because if the OP's side had had the honour and their opponents had played out of turn, the OP's side could have recalled the strokes. Hardball looks for common sense in saving time - regardless of whose honour it was.

 

To clarify the situation where the OP's side has the honour.  .  If the opponents play out of turn without agreement, their strokes could have been recalled.  But if the OP's side say that although it is their honour their opponents should  just tee off first to save time, that is permissible. The opponents cannot insist on teeing off first;  it is up to the OP's side to agree,

 

Decision 30-1/1 explains that only the last stroke played out of order could be recalled.  The first one stands as made once the second ball is played.

post #10 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogolf View Post
 

 

Decision 30-1/1 explains that only the last stroke played out of order could be recalled.  The first one stands as made once the second ball is played.

 

I had never thought through that situation, but given the nature of a 4-ball match, it makes perfect sense.  Thanks.

post #11 of 13

Yes, perfect sense.  Thanks for the reference.

post #12 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogolf View Post
 

 

Decision 30-1/1 explains that only the last stroke played out of order could be recalled.  The first one stands as made once the second ball is played.

I wonder if the ruling bodies would come to the same conclusion if, as in this case, the opponents are not even present.

post #13 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by turtleback View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogolf View Post
 

 

Decision 30-1/1 explains that only the last stroke played out of order could be recalled.  The first one stands as made once the second ball is played.

I wonder if the ruling bodies would come to the same conclusion if, as in this case, the opponents are not even present.

 

It would be the opponents responsibility to be where the game is being played.  If they choose to leave the field while the match is still active, then they really shouldn't get any special consideration.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Rules of Golf
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Rules of Golf › Hitting without opponents