or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Tour Talk › What Happens First: Rory Completes Slam or Tiger Wins 15th Major?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

What Happens First: Rory Completes Slam or Tiger Wins 15th Major? - Page 5

Poll Results: Which Happens First?

 
  • 60% (47)
    Rory wins the Masters to complete the career grand slam
  • 39% (31)
    Tiger Woods wins his 15th major championship
78 Total Votes  
post #73 of 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9iron View Post
 

 

 

 

You guys talk about Tiger as if he has been winning majors recently when in fact he has not. He hasn't even led a single round of a major in 5 years. Akron isn't Augusta and Muirfield, Ohio isn't The Open Championship.

 

No, but he's winning tournaments against good players. He's still good enough to win. Problem is...every year, he gets older...AND the competition gets stiffer.

post #74 of 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by iacas View Post
 

 

No disagreement that he "faded." I just want good, correct facts. You don't get to make up your own. You seem to be falling prey to your own opinions, rather than basing the facts on what actually happened.

 

 

 

has nothing to do with falling prey to my opinion, it has to do with the fact I didn't look it up. I looked up every event where he had a top 10, but since he faded so badly at Olympic and finished outside the top 10 I hadn't considered that he actually was in T1 position after Friday. Once you mentioned it I recalled that was the case and conceded the point. It does not change the larger point of the thread starting question. Not for me anyway.

 

Are we beating a dead horse yet?

post #75 of 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slice of Life View Post
 

 

Sure, 35 years of golf. What is that equivalent to? 3 years of football?

 

Maybe you just have a silky smooth swing but I think you're very much underestimating the amount of trauma a Tiger-like (especially circa 1997) swing can have to the body over many years. Tiger's swing back then was unprecedented in the amount of upper body vs. lower body torque he created and that puts a huge amount of stress on the body. Apples to oranges vs. football contact but real stress and damage nonetheless.

post #76 of 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by iacas View Post
 

 

No disagreement that he "faded." I just want good, correct facts. You don't get to make up your own. You seem to be falling prey to your own opinions, rather than basing the facts on what actually happened.

 

Wow, throw the baby out with the bath water, much?? The dude lays out great analysis that I have never heard or thought of before and you find one oversight to nitpick and try and discredit his entire point.

post #77 of 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by skydog View Post
 

Wow, throw the baby out with the bath water, much?? The dude lays out great analysis that I have never heard or thought of before and you find one oversight to nitpick and try and discredit his entire point.

 

That's not really what happened.

 

The simple fact of the matter is that Tiger's consistently finished higher in The Masters than Rory has, so even if the question was "Who will next win The Masters," you could justify choosing Tiger over Rory.

 

You'd have to weight their performance against the numbers "38" and "25" but you could still justify choosing Tiger at just the Masters, as even at 37 Tiger beat Rory at Augusta National by over twenty places (2013: Tiger T4, Rory T25).

 

This thread isn't about who will win more majors from here on out, or even who will win more Masters from here on out. It's about who will win the next one - Tiger has four chances per year, with his best chance actually coming in the one tournament per year that Rory would need to "win" this poll/wager.

 

I've said as far back as 2012 that if Tiger didn't win that year he wouldn't win 18+. He didn't, and I voted "no" in the 2014 poll (which, again, is not this thread).

post #78 of 171

The 'facts' can be used in any number of ways- but like any analysis it has to be part art and part science. Despite Rory not having a great track record on paper at Augusta in his short history, we all remember how he was one back-nine mental collapse away from winning in 2011 and most of us know that his game can and should suit Augusta as long as his head is in the right place.

 

 9iron used the facts to show that Tiger hasn't been there in the Majors from 2009-present like some people otherwise might think and to show that despite some decent back-door finishes in majors, he hasn't been right there with a chance to win one since 2009. Given the fact the Tiger has shown an inability to come from behind to win a major, 9iron's analysis is espcially powerful.

post #79 of 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by skydog View Post

 
The 'facts' can be used in any number of ways- but like any analysis it has to be part art and part science. Despite Rory not having a great track record on paper at Augusta in his short history, we all remember how he was one back-nine mental collapse away from winning in 2011 and most of us know that his game can and should suit Augusta as long as his head is in the right place.

 9iron used the facts to show that Tiger hasn't been there in the Majors from 2009-present like some people otherwise might think and to show that despite some decent back-door finishes in majors, he hasn't been right there with a chance to win one since 2009. Given the fact the Tiger has shown an inability to come from behind to win a major, 9iron's analysis is espcially powerful.

I don't entirely disagree with your opinion.

But you're missing my point: I just like facts to be right. He had some wrong. I pointed them out.

Also, again, this thread is not about all of the majors for Rory… as he has only the Masters to "win" the "bet."
post #80 of 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by skydog View Post
 

 

Maybe you just have a silky smooth swing

 

We've clearly never played together lol

 

Went golfing with some coworkers last week, and after a drive, two of the responses were: "That's a...violent swing...", and "Ahh, to be young again" lol

post #81 of 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by skydog View Post
 

The 'facts' can be used in any number of ways- but like any analysis it has to be part art and part science. Despite Rory not having a great track record on paper at Augusta in his short history, we all remember how he was one back-nine mental collapse away from winning in 2011 and most of us know that his game can and should suit Augusta as long as his head is in the right place.

 

 9iron used the facts to show that Tiger hasn't been there in the Majors from 2009-present like some people otherwise might think and to show that despite some decent back-door finishes in majors, he hasn't been right there with a chance to win one since 2009. Given the fact the Tiger has shown an inability to come from behind to win a major, 9iron's analysis is espcially powerful.

 

 

Thanks for the support. I tried to lay out some facts and did not get everything exact. No biggie. I got most of them right and I believe I made a good compelling argument that despite his clawing back to a top ten he hasn't really been as close to winning a major in a good lonnggg time as some of his fans would believe. Rory has closed the deal three times, and he is ascending higher. Big difference. Again, thanks for the support.

post #82 of 171
Question aint who will win a major first its whether Rory will win a Masters-With one top-ten finish there EVER-versus Tiger who has been top five in several majors in the past few years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9iron View Post


Thanks for the support. I tried to lay out some facts and did not get everything exact. No biggie. I got most of them right and I believe I made a good compelling argument that despite his clawing back to a top ten he hasn't really been as close to winning a major in a good lonnggg time as some of his fans would believe. Rory has closed the deal three times, and he is ascending higher. Big difference. Again, thanks for the support.
Plus other guys showed Tiger might be a bigger favorite at Augusta alone over Mcilroy.
post #83 of 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil McGleno View Post

Question aint who will win a major first its whether Rory will win a Masters-With one top-ten finish there EVER-versus Tiger who has been top five in several majors in the past few years.

Plus other guys showed Tiger might be a bigger favorite at Augusta alone over Mcilroy.

 

While certainly true, I think the much better indicator is that Rory has won 3 majors in the last 3 years while Tiger hasn't won any in the last 6 years.

 

The hot hand goes to the kid....    That can change, but I haven't seen anything lately to indicate it will.

post #84 of 171

In all sports its what have you done for me today. Last year Rory got pummeled about going to Nike, being terrible, not being the star he was supposed to be, "will he ever be great?"...  I almost got sick this weekend hearing how magnificent he is and how he's destroying the field oh and a "superstar". how about give it a bit see if he can remain consistent.

 

He can win 20 majors and he still wont ever be in the same sentence as Tiger Woods

post #85 of 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentvalve View Post

He can win 20 majors and he still wont ever be in the same sentence as Tiger Woods

Why do you say that?
post #86 of 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentvalve View Post


He can win 20 majors and he still wont ever be in the same sentence as Tiger Woods

You're absolutely right. The sentence would sound something like.... "Who's the greatest golfer of all time, Jack or Rory?"

No mention of Tiger at all. a2_wink.gif
post #87 of 171

Without Tiger golf wouldn't be what it is today, its the domination that drew everyone in. Every time I go to a PGA event it seems as though the whole gallery follows Tiger. Name one guy who is as captivating???? 

 

Ask anyone the first word that comes to mind when you say the word "Golf".. I guarantee the overwhelming majority would say

"Tiger Woods"

 

Tiger = Icon

post #88 of 171

Hey Dave your High

post #89 of 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentvalve View Post

Hey Dave your High

My high what?
post #90 of 171

uhhh meaning, high as a kite

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Tour Talk
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Tour Talk › What Happens First: Rory Completes Slam or Tiger Wins 15th Major?