or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Tour Talk › What Happens First: Rory Completes Slam or Tiger Wins 15th Major?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

What Happens First: Rory Completes Slam or Tiger Wins 15th Major? - Page 6

Poll Results: Which Happens First?

 
  • 60% (47)
    Rory wins the Masters to complete the career grand slam
  • 39% (31)
    Tiger Woods wins his 15th major championship
78 Total Votes  
post #91 of 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by David in FL View Post

My high what?
I see what you did there and I like it.
post #92 of 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9iron View Post
 

 

 

THIS.

 

And anyone discounting Rory at Augusta I just don't get. His game is perfect for that course. 


His results so far don't support this. As I said earlier, Augusta National suits a lot of golfer's styles. They are all long these days and the fairways are wide. Players with solid approach shots, great short games and putting will contend. Rory in his major wins played great golf but he does not always play that well. And there are a lot of great young players out there including Bubba who has only one less major than McIlroy. He will most certainly win another green jacket.

post #93 of 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentvalve View Post
 

Without Tiger golf wouldn't be what it is today, its the domination that drew everyone in. Every time I go to a PGA event it seems as though the whole gallery follows Tiger. Name one guy who is as captivating???? 

 

Ask anyone the first word that comes to mind when you say the word "Golf".. I guarantee the overwhelming majority would say

"Tiger Woods"

 

Tiger = Icon


If Rory started winning majors like Tiger and passed him, he would be the icon. Frankly it's stupid to say otherwise.

post #94 of 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentvalve View Post
 

Without Tiger golf wouldn't be what it is today, its the domination that drew everyone in. Every time I go to a PGA event it seems as though the whole gallery follows Tiger. Name one guy who is as captivating???? 

 

Ask anyone the first word that comes to mind when you say the word "Golf".. I guarantee the overwhelming majority would say

"Tiger Woods"

 

Tiger = Icon

 

Avatar is the highest grossing film of all-time.

post #95 of 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchott View Post
 

His results so far don't support this. As I said earlier, Augusta National suits a lot of golfer's styles. They are all long these days and the fairways are wide. Players with solid approach shots, great short games and putting will contend. Rory in his major wins played great golf but he does not always play that well. And there are a lot of great young players out there including Bubba who has only one less major than McIlroy. He will most certainly win another green jacket.

 

To be clear, the idea that putting matters so, so, so much more than ball striking at Augusta National is wrong. Witness… Bubba Watson. The course is a ballstriker's golf course. Putting might take you from third to first, but it's all about the second shot (and if you can have a shorter second shot because of your long tee shot, great).

 

Rory's got the ballstriking skills to contend at Augusta. Obviously we've seen that.

post #96 of 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by iacas View Post
 

 

To be clear, the idea that putting matters so, so, so much more than ball striking at Augusta National is wrong. Witness… Bubba Watson. The course is a ballstriker's golf course. Putting might take you from third to first, but it's all about the second shot (and if you can have a shorter second shot because of your long tee shot, great).

 

Rory's got the ballstriking skills to contend at Augusta. Obviously we've seen that.


No argument from me Erik. Correct placement of the approach is what Augusta is all about. Rory should have as good a chance as anyone to win their and I'm pretty sure he will but for some reason he has not been as competitive as he should be on that course so far.

 

As far as him winning their before Tiger wins another major, I still go with Tiger. Augusta allows many to be in contention.

post #97 of 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchott View Post
 


No argument from me Erik. Correct placement of the approach is what Augusta is all about. Rory should have as good a chance as anyone to win their and I'm pretty sure he will but for some reason he has not been as competitive as he should be on that course so far.

 

As far as him winning their before Tiger wins another major, I still go with Tiger. Augusta allows many to be in contention.

 

Win their what?

 

:whistle: :-P

 

FTR, anyone who thinks Rory winning 20 majors still wouldn't be in Tiger's league...was dropped on their head as a child. :-P

post #98 of 171
The reason Rory has such a good chance there is because he's long and plays a draw. This is why it also sets up for Phil and Bubba, although they play cuts. Tiger has struggled of late (well, struggled is a relative term), because he's no longer as effective a drawer of the ball with the driver so he goes to the 3 wood to draw it, losing valuable distance. I believe he's working on the draw these days and would think he'd have it dialed in by next April but we'll see.

Rory doesn't seem to start seasons very quickly which may explain his lack of success there but with the 4th leg of the grand slam available and a major under his belt with Nike, I suspect he'll also be ready. Could be a great Masters in '15.
post #99 of 171

There is at least one perfectly explainable reason for Rory's 2013 woes. The change from Titleist (I think he was with Titleist, right?) to Nike. It does not seem unreasonable that anyone might struggle for a bit playing new clubs.  

post #100 of 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slice of Life View Post
 

 

Win their what?

 

:whistle: :-P

 

FTR, anyone who thinks Rory winning 20 majors still wouldn't be in Tiger's league...was dropped on their head as a child. :-P

If Rory (or anybody really) wins 20 majors the GOAT debate kind of ceases to be a debate. 

post #101 of 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest Jones View Post
 

If Rory (or anybody really) wins 20 majors the GOAT debate kind of ceases to be a debate. 

 

Meh, agree to disagree. There will still be plenty in Jack's camp. Just like some people will think Tiger is the GOAT even if he only gets to 16 or so...

post #102 of 171
It's highly possible haha. but it's the same as Kobe and Lebron, they could win 10 rings but can never be compared to Jordan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slice of Life View Post

Win their what?

e2_whistling.gif  b2_tongue.gif

FTR, anyone who thinks Rory winning 20 majors still wouldn't be in Tiger's league...was dropped on their head as a child. b2_tongue.gif
post #103 of 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9iron View Post
 

There is at least one perfectly explainable reason for Rory's 2013 woes. The change from Titleist (I think he was with Titleist, right?) to Nike. It does not seem unreasonable that anyone might struggle for a bit playing new clubs.  

 

And yet people switch clubs and play with new golf balls and so on all the time.

 

Yes, there have been some high-profile instances of a player sucking when switching, but there are hundreds or thousands of cases where the opposite is true (or the player plays even better).

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slice of Life View Post
 

Meh, agree to disagree. There will still be plenty in Jack's camp. Just like some people will think Tiger is the GOAT even if he only gets to 16 or so...

 

Plenty already think he's the greatest due to strength of field and his other stats (PGA Tour wins, Vardon trophies, etc.).

 

I have them pretty close to dead even at this point.

post #104 of 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentvalve View Post

It's highly possible haha. but it's the same as Kobe and Lebron, they could win 10 rings but can never be compared to Jordan

 

 

Yep...but Tiger is no Jordan. ;)

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by iacas View Post
 

Plenty already think he's the greatest due to strength of field and his other stats (PGA Tour wins, Vardon trophies, etc.).

 

I have them pretty close to dead even at this point.

 

Yep, exactly my point.

post #105 of 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by iacas View Post

And yet people switch clubs and play with new golf balls and so on all the time.

Yes, there have been some high-profile instances of a player sucking when switching, but there are hundreds or thousands of cases where the opposite is true (or the player plays even better).
Nick Watney is another who has struggled. Phil would be an example on the other side.

I think Rory is a better golfer now, with the new equipment but I don't think you can argue that an adjustment period is generally required. Especially because he went all-in with everything in one fell swoop.
post #106 of 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slice of Life View Post
 

 

Meh, agree to disagree. There will still be plenty in Jack's camp. Just like some people will think Tiger is the GOAT even if he only gets to 16 or so...


The debate will not cease but Rory will be the GOAT. That said, it's not going to happen.

post #107 of 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slice of Life View Post
 

 

 

Yep...but Tiger is no Jordan. ;)

 

 

Yep, exactly my point.

And Jordan's no Russell! ;-)  See, it is a never ending circle!

post #108 of 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by boogielicious View Post
 

And Jordan's no Russell! ;-)  See, it is a never ending circle!

 

No...because nobody every brings up Russell when they're talking about the GOAT. It's pretty widely accepted that he isn't the GOAT...

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Tour Talk
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Tour Talk › What Happens First: Rory Completes Slam or Tiger Wins 15th Major?