or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Golf Talk › Barkley's new swing...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Barkley's new swing...

post #1 of 28
Thread Starter 

I have to say, as much as I love to golf, if I had as much trouble as Charles Barkley I'd probably just quit. I don't know how it could be even a little fun to struggle to even commit to swinging the club. Now he's using 1 hand? I know it's possible to hit the ball one handed, trick shot golfers do it all the time, but it seems to me that it would take a long time to become even somewhat consistent doing it.

 

Barkley debuts new one-armed swing, finishes dead last | FOX Sports

 

post #2 of 28

It's hard to believe the guy was so athletically-gifted in another sport once upon a time!

post #3 of 28

What the *#@$?  His practice swings look reasonable enough.  He has some sort of psychological block when it comes to actually hitting the ball.

post #4 of 28
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by davechen View Post
 

What the *#@$?  His practice swings look reasonable enough.  He has some sort of psychological block when it comes to actually hitting the ball.

If I remember the story right he had a pretty good swing and handicap until he hit someone with a ball at a pro-am or something? That would make sense if it caused the mental issue. I could be wrong though. 

post #5 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremie Boop View Post

If I remember the story right he had a pretty good swing and handicap until he hit someone with a ball at a pro-am or something? That would make sense if it caused the mental issue. I could be wrong though. 
I heard something similar a while back. There's no way I could quit though, especially if you're Barkley and only work a few months out of the year. You have money and access to the nicest courses in the world............no way I would quit.
post #6 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremie Boop View Post

If I remember the story right he had a pretty good swing and handicap until he hit someone with a ball at a pro-am or something? That would make sense if it caused the mental issue. I could be wrong though. 

I remember on The Haney Project they made that connection, but I always figured with the hitch swing he's hit way more people.
post #7 of 28
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamo View Post


I remember on The Haney Project they made that connection, but I always figured with the hitch swing he's hit way more people.

BUT, it's not as powerful so less like to hurt someone.

post #8 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremie Boop View Post

BUT, it's not as powerful so less like to hurt someone.

I guess so, but he hits a lot of screaming snap hooks now.

Then again, a mental thing like that doesn't have to be rational.
post #9 of 28

What's wrong with his back? He looks like he needs an hour or two on an inversion table...

post #10 of 28

This is so funny but hard to believe at the same time. The physical tools that he was born with, you would think he would demolish a ball. Hmmmm......., go figure

 

God Bless!!! Ray

post #11 of 28

Boy, Chuck isn't moving around so well these days.  Loved the 1-handed swing ... sounded like he hit it solid!

 

dave

post #12 of 28

Man you have to feel for the guy, it must be very difficult to be such an icon in the sports world end up like this.

His ego must be shot.

post #13 of 28
I wonder what it's like to be reduced to what is essentially golf's equivalent of a circus act
post #14 of 28
He did have a normal swing. I don't know what the actual story is on why he developed that hitch on his swing. At one time, I heard that an instructor told him to pause briefly at the top of his swing before commencing downswing, and that's how he developed that hitch. If that's true, that instructor should have his teaching certificate revoked.
post #15 of 28

He must have an injury of some kind that prevents him from doing a follow through?

post #16 of 28
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lihu View Post
 

He must have an injury of some kind that prevents him from doing a follow through?

No, it's a mental issue that causes him to have that hitch.

post #17 of 28

Just give me 10 minutes with him...;-)

post #18 of 28
Thread Starter 

Rofl, McLoughlin Project: Barkley soon to debut on The Sand Trap!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Golf Talk
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Golf Talk › Barkley's new swing...