or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Rules of Golf › Please Rory, autograph here. Can't kid, must sign card first...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Please Rory, autograph here. Can't kid, must sign card first...

post #1 of 14
Thread Starter 

I have never heard of such a thing.  Of course, no one is asking for my autograph after 18 holes of golf.

 

http://www.golfchannel.com/news/golf-central-blog/stock-watch-buying-rory-selling-bubba/

 

British media criticized Rory for ignoring a young boy’s autograph request after winning the Open … except signing something before his card would have been against the rules. "

post #2 of 14

Rule 6-6 give some urgency to sign the card without a delay. Also looks like organizers (tours?) have given instructions to not sign autographs before getting scores in.

 

Non issue, some tissue (for the kid).

post #3 of 14

The only issue I reckon is how easily the boy slipped past  the security guys.

post #4 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColinL View Post
 

The only issue I reckon is how easily the boy slipped past  the security guys.

 

Did he pass or was it just across ropes? Did it happen after 18th or actually during the round? So many questions...

post #5 of 14

It happened after he came off the 18th but not before he had finished in that he is not finished until he submits his scorecard.  There is a video in this article in which the writer typically jumps in and condemns McIlroy for doing what players are instructed to do - not give autographs till after submitting their cards.  As you will see, the security official on his left actually has his hand on the boy's arm to pull him back before McIlroy reacts and the other officials are quickly in to hustle the lad away.  

 

A typical attempt by journalists (and even an MP) to leap in and try to make a story out of nothing.  The kid shouldn't have been where he was.  

 

http://metro.co.uk/2014/07/20/harsh-watch-open-champion-rory-mcilroy-ruthlessly-deny-child-his-autograph-4804828/

post #6 of 14

True, thx for the link.

post #7 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColinL View Post
 

It happened after he came off the 18th but not before he had finished in that he is not finished until he submits his scorecard.  There is a video in this article in which the writer typically jumps in and condemns McIlroy for doing what players are instructed to do - not give autographs till after submitting their cards.  As you will see, the security official on his left actually has his hand on the boy's arm to pull him back before McIlroy reacts and the other officials are quickly in to hustle the lad away.  

 

A typical attempt by journalists (and even an MP) to leap in and try to make a story out of nothing.  The kid shouldn't have been where he was.  

 

http://metro.co.uk/2014/07/20/harsh-watch-open-champion-rory-mcilroy-ruthlessly-deny-child-his-autograph-4804828/

 

 

Yea, it looks like that Rory was about to reach to sign for the kid, but the security led the kid away. 

post #8 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by saevel25 View Post
 

 

 

Yea, it looks like that Rory was about to reach to sign for the kid, but the security led the kid away. 

I disagree, it looked to me like he was brushing the kid off. I'm not saying anything against him *meaning Rory*, because that was kind of crazy how the kid just ran up to him but I do feel bad for the kid. He looked so excited only to get rejected. 


Edited by Jeremie Boop - 7/23/14 at 10:26am
post #9 of 14

i'm sure he was brushing the kid off and didn't intend to suggest otherwise.  The point is he was clearly going to be taken out the picture by the security guy anyway - nothing to do with a supposedly ruthless disregard of the boy by McIlroy.

post #10 of 14
I think he appeared to want to sign it momentarily! But he was clearly marching to get his card verified and probably changed his mind when security smothered the kid away!
Who cares! The cheeky brat shouldn't have barged in anyway! Of course a "reporter" would suggest he was being ruthless, that's what they do, water down the facts and then distort them to make up stories ... Or "news" as they like to call it!
post #11 of 14

I can't  imagine that your man McIlroy will be much bothered about a bit of journalistic froth as he sits in his lounge and looks at that Claret Jug on the mantelpiece. :-)

post #12 of 14

Uncomfortable situation... we've all (well, most of us) been there ... not as to signing autographs ... but wanting to be gracious, and then realizing perhaps it's not the "right" thing to do.

 

It's the tabs taking advantage of a situation to sell papers or gain popularity.

 

Nothing new here...

post #13 of 14
Thread Starter 

Authoritative news here, from Ireland no less.

Final result:  not a Rule of golf, only a tourney suggestion.

 

 

http://www.barryrhodes.com/2014/07/glory-rory-open-champion-2014.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+RulesOfGolf+%28Rules+of+Golf%29

post #14 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by joekelly View Post
 

Authoritative news here, from Ireland no less.

Final result:  not a Rule of golf, only a tourney suggestion.

 

 

No-one really thought so, I am sure.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Rules of Golf
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Rules of Golf › Please Rory, autograph here. Can't kid, must sign card first...