or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The 19th Hole › The Grill Room › Snark and Assorted Topics
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Snark and Assorted Topics - Page 5

post #73 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Always an 80 View Post

Uh,oh.  Can feel it coming...another censure.   The ultimate answer for the weak minded antagonist with some pull.   (please don't say I must explain that last line as well for heaven's sake)  It is bad enough to debate you self absorbed, egotistical types as it is.  To explain my responses to your shallow minds is simply just to much for me to bare at times.  Get a student loan for God's sake and take some courses in logic and or philosophy. PLEASE.   Or stick to the subject of....golf.  Hey, that's it!  Stick to golf.
I'm not sure why you're off on a rampage here. I'm disengaging before it gets uglier.
post #74 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Always an 80 View Post

Uh,oh.  Can feel it coming...another censure.   The ultimate answer for the weak minded antagonist with some pull.   (please don't say I must explain that last line as well for heaven's sake)  It is bad enough to debate you self absorbed, egotistical types as it is.  To explain my responses to your shallow minds is simply just to much for me to bare at times.  Get a student loan for God's sake and take some courses in logic and or philosophy. PLEASE.   Or stick to the subject of....golf.  Hey, that's it!  Stick to golf.

I was wondering when the attention tank would start running low.
post #75 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patch View Post
 

I was removed from a golf forum several years ago. The folks running the site were promoting some drink that was supposed to make you a better golfer. They had all kinds of connections in the golfing world. Gave away all kinds of nice prizes. Had member golf outings in various parts of the country. At some point the folks promoting the drink said it was so good that they "just had to have it first thing in the morning" and through out the day. I mentioned something to the effect that it sounded like a drink that could become habit forming. Just a simple remark. That was it for me on that golf forum. They ran me off, post haste. (We also had some previous words about their resident swing guru flaming  other members swing advice, then changing the verbiage, and using it for their own swing guru instruction)  

 

That's when I decided that any forum I was posting on, I would not care what other members of the forum thought of my posts. Good, bad, or indifferent. Did not matter what the subject matter of the forum was about. I post what I know is good information, and that's good enough for me. My opinions are my own, and not meant to crinkle anyone's shorts. Different opinions on any forum are not a life, and death struggle. Opinions differ in context from one individual, and are, in some instances, just another form of entertainment for those folks involved.  

 

Back in April when I felt I was physically able to get back into the game of golf, I googled for golf forums and TST came up. I decided to give it try. I just wanted to see what might have changed while I was away from the game. As it turns out not much had changed over the past few years. IMHO, TST is a decent site, with great members/contributors, and from what I have  seen so far, has the test of time on it's side. :beer:

 

If it doesn't look and taste like good beer, no way. :beer:

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Always an 80 View Post
 

Or we could be an administrator and simply ban someone from a post when they expose weakness in our logic.

 

What I have observed is when someone makes personal attacks rather than sticking with the topics at hand they get "restricted" from a thread. If they sign up multiple times or are intentional trolls they are banned from this site. This is why we have more intelligent golf related discussions on this site.

 

I feel bad for the people who are banned, but they know that if they present something that contradicts a theory supported by this site then they need to support their suppositions with facts. This is a minimum requirement to have a reasonable discussion showing what aspects of their theories are correct. Then someone like Erik can discuss possible flaws or contradicting data in an intelligent manner.

 

It can be pretty futile if the discussion centers around non-fact based references, and this futility can lead to a lot of personal attacks which is not conducive to a good learning environment for many of us.

 

I sign onto this site to learn golf related things, and not watch people squabble over who they know and that's why they are right.

 

The banning is a tactic used to protect the rest of us, and not to "win" arguments.

 

One example is an instructor that showed a method that you keep your hips and lower body absolutely static. This looked like a method that could lead to serious injury. The promoter was eventually banned from this site.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardballs View Post

I lurked around on a few golf sites for a year or two, never posting, just reading tips and usefull info! When I came across this site it was soon apparent that it's the best one out there, it has a wealth of knowledge and instruction from some really clued up guys! I was soon checking in regularly and still do and my game is improving because of it! I don't kiss anyone's ass but it's quite obvious to me that Eric and mike, amongst several others, make this site what it is, and I am, until now, quietly grateful for all their efforts!
I got some abuse when I first came on because people thought I was a bit... Unlikeable? My comments are always light hearted in nature, but! they can and do appear different in writing! (Something else I've learnt on here!)
And so, on this forum, and others I presume, we should all leave our egos at the door and jump in! To me, it seems to be simply about learning, and having a bit of fun, and if you insist on bringing your ego with you, prepare to have bashed a bit!

 

If I didn't know you were from the UK (I presume Britain), your statements could appear very insulting. You have never talked to me that way, but I certainly have read your posts and got a good chuckle out of them.:beer:

 

Not some of the reactions, though. :whistle:

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakester23 View Post
 

I don't think I have any friends on here besides Nate (I think he's doing it for community service or some thing like that probably to avoid some serious time) and I haven't notice what your implying.  Give me an example if you don't mind. 

 

Do you mean Cyber-pals? If so, I'm hurt you don't consider more of us?

 

 

post #76 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lihu View Post
 

Do you mean Cyber-pals? If so, I'm hurt you don't consider more of us?

 

 

Well I guess now I have 3. :banana: Im not a social media guy so when my wife says my Facebook friend I don't understand what that means. Maybe after today I do:-D

post #77 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakester23 View Post
 

Well I guess now I have 3. :banana: Im not a social media guy so when my wife says my Facebook friend I don't understand what that means. Maybe after today I do:-D


At least 3. :dance:

post #78 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Always an 80 View Post
 

Uh,oh.  Can feel it coming...another censure.   The ultimate answer for the weak minded antagonist with some pull.   (please don't say I must explain that last line as well for heaven's sake)  It is bad enough to debate you self absorbed, egotistical types as it is.  To explain my responses to your shallow minds is simply just to much for me to bare bear at times.  Get a student loan for God's sake and take some courses in logic and or philosophy. PLEASE.   Or stick to the subject of....golf.  Hey, that's it!  Stick to golf.

There. All better now.

post #79 of 102
This thread does not live up to its hype.
post #80 of 102

Some of you guys really do take this too seriously.  I play with logic, phrases, and words to try and see what kind of response I may get.    I have only experimented with this in The Grill Room.  I kinda thought it looked like a fun place to play.  Well, I've tried to get a few goats just for the fun of it, cause I don't do it in the other areas due to my being golf minded in the other places.  I have very much enjoyed and benefited from what I have learned from many of you in the forum.

 

I promise not to banter in The Grill Room again.  Not because I feel guilty for having been mischievous, but because I see that not everyone can pick up on certain humor.  I know in real life there are people who love my sense of humor and those who think I am totally off the scale.  It just depends on who one is and how they see life in general.  I have worked with many people who simply cannot laugh at themselves for fears only they are aware of.  Some of them are not even aware.  I totally understand these principles in relationship to the individuals themselves and their relationship to the world as they view it.  I fault no one for the way they see others and the world.  We are all different.  Diversity is one of the things that makes the world worthwhile.  How boring it would be if we all thought alike, eh?

 

I propose we all embrace (or at least tolerate) our vast experience in life and our individuality in thought.  And I promise to not relive my times on a debate team in grad school while I am in the Trap.

 

To all my brothers in the wonderful game of golf,

 

---Matt

post #81 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Always an 80 View Post
 

To all my brothers in the wonderful game of golf,

 

---Matt

 

I'll drink to that! :beer:

 

Enjoy more of this site, too.

post #82 of 102

I always enjoy the proclamation of wit from a great logician.

post #83 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Always an 80 View Post
 

Some of you guys really do take this too seriously.  I play with logic, phrases, and words to try and see what kind of response I may get.    I have only experimented with this in The Grill Room.  I kinda thought it looked like a fun place to play.  Well, I've tried to get a few goats just for the fun of it, cause I don't do it in the other areas due to my being golf minded in the other places.  I have very much enjoyed and benefited from what I have learned from many of you in the forum.

 

I promise not to banter in The Grill Room again.  Not because I feel guilty for having been mischievous, but because I see that not everyone can pick up on certain humor.  I know in real life there are people who love my sense of humor and those who think I am totally off the scale.  It just depends on who one is and how they see life in general.  I have worked with many people who simply cannot laugh at themselves for fears only they are aware of.  Some of them are not even aware.  I totally understand these principles in relationship to the individuals themselves and their relationship to the world as they view it.  I fault no one for the way they see others and the world.  We are all different.  Diversity is one of the things that makes the world worthwhile.  How boring it would be if we all thought alike, eh?

 

I propose we all embrace (or at least tolerate) our vast experience in life and our individuality in thought.  And I promise to not relive my times on a debate team in grad school while I am in the Trap.

 

To all my brothers in the wonderful game of golf,

 

---Matt

I think this thread is proof enough that you are different. :-P

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

In case you can't tell I'm just giving you some grief.

post #84 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by cipher View Post
 

I always enjoy the proclamation of wit from a great logician.

Quit using big words I don't like having to think on a Friday afternoon. :doh: 

post #85 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by cipher View Post
 

I always enjoy the proclamation of wit from a great logician.

Just curious... who is the guy in your avatar that looks like he is smelling a dead cat under his chair?

post #86 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Always an 80 View Post
 

Just curious... who is the guy in your avatar that looks like he is smelling a dead cat under his chair?

James

post #87 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakester23 View Post
 

Quit using big words I don't like having to think on a Friday afternoon. :doh: 


Who's thinking right now? I'm just filling out mindless quarter end forms until beer-thirty. :beer:

post #88 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lihu View Post
 


Who's thinking right now? I'm just filling out mindless quarter end forms until beer-thirty. :beer:

It is obvious that I abhor thinking.  Why would youse guys want to think?

post #89 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by cipher View Post
 

James

Heard of him but not had the pleasure to meet him yet.  I thought he somehow looked familiar tho.  Thanks.

post #90 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by cipher View Post

James

Moriaaaarrrrrtyyyyyyy.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: The Grill Room
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The 19th Hole › The Grill Room › Snark and Assorted Topics