or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Practice Range › Instruction and Playing Tips › HELP. Low Ball Flight
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HELP. Low Ball Flight

post #1 of 20
Thread Starter 

My irons have a low penetrating flight.  It's one I can control and consistently shoot 80-85.  

I want to raise the ball flight and feel like the low flight is hurting me from getting to the next level.

My shot is almost always a low draw. When I set up for a fade I get a little more height.

Swing Speed with 6 iron is appx 92 

 

How can I increase Ball Height?

 

Does it come from a steeper AoA or shallower.  With that swing speed it is definitely an impact issue and I'm wondering what the thoughts are of those with some experience.  

post #2 of 20

Your handicap is much lower than mine, so feel free to ignore my comments.

 

Sounds like you're de-lofting the club somehow.  Video your swing from straight on and see if the shaft of the club is leaning forward, towards  the target at impact.  The more it leans, the lower your shot will be.

post #3 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by iHack View Post
 

My irons have a low penetrating flight.  It's one I can control and consistently shoot 80-85.  

I want to raise the ball flight and feel like the low flight is hurting me from getting to the next level.

My shot is almost always a low draw. When I set up for a fade I get a little more height.

Swing Speed with 6 iron is appx 92 

 

How can I increase Ball Height?

 

Does it come from a steeper AoA or shallower.  With that swing speed it is definitely an impact issue and I'm wondering what the thoughts are of those with some experience.  

 

Low draw sounds like a pull draw. 

 

Also do you know the height of your ball flight off hand, besides just low? 

 

To really determine what is wrong I would post a video of your swing here, http://thesandtrap.com/f/4180/member-swings, by creating your own, "My Swing" thread. 

post #4 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by iHack View Post
 

My irons have a low penetrating flight.  It's one I can control and consistently shoot 80-85.  

I want to raise the ball flight and feel like the low flight is hurting me from getting to the next level.

My shot is almost always a low draw. When I set up for a fade I get a little more height.

Swing Speed with 6 iron is appx 92 

 

How can I increase Ball Height?

 

Does it come from a steeper AoA or shallower.  With that swing speed it is definitely an impact issue and I'm wondering what the thoughts are of those with some experience.  

 

Typically to hit it higher you would need to shallow your angle of attack. If I had to guess I would say the draws you are hitting are straight draws or slightly pulled draws, so the face is a little left, lowering the launch angle. Key would be hitting draws with the face aimed more right.

 

Do this drill setting up with the face right of the target and you'll see the ball flight improve.

 

 

 

Erik and I also did a video on hitting it higher

 

post #5 of 20
Thread Starter 
Mvmac just the guy i was hoping to hear from.

Straight draw and pull draw is right on.

The first video hips forward drill. What is the feel I'm looking for to mesh into my full swing.

The second video. I am the guy on left. Ball back, hands forward and finishing low.

Thanks for quick response!
post #6 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by iHack View Post


The first video hips forward drill. What is the feel I'm looking for to mesh into my full swing.
 

 

It's kind of a few feels thrown together. Weight forward with the head steady, arms "stretched" out, all this will slow the rotation of the club face (so the face isn't aimed so far left) and help the handle ascend. Couple good images to visualize when practicing.

 

post #7 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by iHack View Post
 

My irons have a low penetrating flight.  It's one I can control and consistently shoot 80-85.  

I want to raise the ball flight and feel like the low flight is hurting me from getting to the next level.

My shot is almost always a low draw. When I set up for a fade I get a little more height.

Swing Speed with 6 iron is appx 92 

 

How can I increase Ball Height?

 

Does it come from a steeper AoA or shallower.  With that swing speed it is definitely an impact issue and I'm wondering what the thoughts are of those with some experience.  

Tiger did quite well with the "stinger."  that is only 6 feet off the ground.  Not sure why you are complaining. Low ball flight works well on treeline course with narrow fairways. 

There's likely other reasons why you are scoring 80-85. 

post #8 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by dchoye View Post

Tiger did quite well with the "stinger."  that is only 6 feet off the ground.  Not sure why you are complaining. Low ball flight works well on treeline course with narrow fairways. 
There's likely other reasons why you are scoring 80-85. 
Low ball flights don't hold greens very well. Definitely useful to be able to flight low when required but for the vast majority of situations I'll take the high, soaring ball flight that drops softly and sticks. Darts baby, darts!
post #9 of 20

My instructor tells me "point your Iron Man light at the sky". I laughed at first but it stuck in my head.

post #10 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by dchoye View Post
 

Tiger did quite well with the "stinger."  that is only 6 feet off the ground.  Not sure why you are complaining. Low ball flight works well on treeline course with narrow fairways. 

There's likely other reasons why you are scoring 80-85. 

 

Tiger didn't hit stingers into greens, he hits his stock irons shots higher than most.

post #11 of 20
Quote:
Definitely useful to be able to flight low when required but for the vast majority of situations I'll take the high, soaring ball flight that drops softly and sticks.

You and me both.

 

I do need to work on the stingers for high wind situations and times like that but I do like the fact that getting a nice high ball flight isn't one of my (many) weaknesses.

post #12 of 20

I'm a low ball flight player as well. Always have been, becuase I tend to get ahead of the ball at impact.

 

This year i've been working on the range more, and I got my irons at a decent height now.

 

But my driver and 3 wood, no matter what I do I just can't seem to flight those higher. It doesn't hurt me though, because I get some really nice roll outs.

post #13 of 20
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvmac View Post

It's kind of a few feels thrown together. Weight forward with the head steady, arms "stretched" out, all this will slow the rotation of the club face (so the face isn't aimed so far left) and help the handle ascend. Couple good images to visualize when practicing.



That drill is great. Irons were great today, got a very good feel for impact frm it.. Now if I can just hit driver.

The problem with low flight is they don't stick well with long irons.
post #14 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by iHack View Post


That drill is great. Irons were great today, got a very good feel for impact frm it.. Now if I can just hit driver.

The problem with low flight is they don't stick well with long irons.

 

Good to hear. With the driver, just set up with more axis tilt (some call it a revers K), hips pushed a few inches forward

 

Same player, stock shot set-up on the left, driver on the right.

 

post #15 of 20
Getting ahead at the impact of the ball is my problem. Seems almost like I also hit the ball on the too of it sometimes. I found that my posture had to improve and it has gotten much better.
post #16 of 20
I am having ball flight issues myself. But it's inconsistent sometimes I can hit a perfect shot and stick it on the green. Other times it is a line drive. I'm going to try that video in my backyard with some practice balls.
post #17 of 20
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvmac View Post

Good to hear. With the driver, just set up with more axis tilt (some call it a revers K), hips pushed a few inches forward

Same player, stock shot set-up on the left, driver on the right.



So glad there's a website like this. That video saved me so much aggravation and money, 5 days of practicing that move from the hips video and I'm playing best golf ever. 3 birdies and an eagle Sunday. I had so much control fades and draws at will. Putting and a few bad t shots kept me from breaking 80 had 3 - 3 putts. Shot 80.

That hips forward drill even works dry just practicing in the living room getting yelled at by the wife. If only I could practice hips forward with her b2_tongue.gif
post #18 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by iHack View Post


So glad there's a website like this. That video saved me so much aggravation and money, 5 days of practicing that move from the hips video and I'm playing best golf ever. 3 birdies and an eagle Sunday. I had so much control fades and draws at will. Putting and a few bad t shots kept me from breaking 80 had 3 - 3 putts. Shot 80.

That hips forward drill even works dry just practicing in the living room getting yelled at by the wife. If only I could practice hips forward with her b2_tongue.gif

 

Awesome, keep it up!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Instruction and Playing Tips
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Practice Range › Instruction and Playing Tips › HELP. Low Ball Flight