or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The 19th Hole › Sports › Are you ready for some NFL Football? 2014 Edition.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Are you ready for some NFL Football? 2014 Edition. - Page 9

post #145 of 398
Quote:
Originally Posted by phan52 View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moxie Dawn View Post
 

FWIW, I had no idea what Molly was until a year or so ago, but maybe I'm old.

 

I still have no idea what Molly is. What happened to the good 'ol days when your football heroes were just drunks and gamblers?

LOL!  Kenny Stabler is alive a well! 

post #146 of 398

OPENING NIGHT!

 

post #147 of 398
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetFan1983 View Post

OPENING NIGHT!

 
I've pretty much started my day like this:
post #148 of 398
I got green bay 34-31.
post #149 of 398

LOL Josh Gordon is going to sell cars while he's suspended! I love it. 

 

Quote:

According to ESPN's Josina Anderson, suspended WR Josh Gordon will begin work this weekend for Sarchione Auto group in Randolph, Ohio.

Per Anderson, Gordon will work in all aspects of the car business including as an on-floor salesman. He'll also be a "goodwill ambassador," heading all of Sarchione's local community efforts such as the Wounded Warriors Project. Gordon will not be paid his $825,604 Browns salary during his suspension, and an effort to sign in the CFL was also shot down.
 

 

And keeping with my previous theme:

 

Hehe.

post #150 of 398
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetFan1983 View Post
 

LOL Josh Gordon is going to sell cars while he's suspended! I love it.

 

 

And keeping with my previous theme:

 

Hehe.

I feel bad for the kid, the US and professional sports need to get their act straight with regards to recreational drugs, specifically marijuana.  Gordon is losing his income for an entire season for using a drug that is legal to use in some states and isn't even tested for in the NBA.

post #151 of 398
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtogolf View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetFan1983 View Post
 

LOL Josh Gordon is going to sell cars while he's suspended! I love it.

 

 

And keeping with my previous theme:

 

Hehe.

I feel bad for the kid, the US and professional sports need to get their act straight with regards to recreational drugs, specifically marijuana.  Gordon is losing his income for an entire season for using a drug that is legal to use in some states and isn't even tested for in the NBA.

 

Regardless of whether or not the rule needs to change, there is a rule in place.  He broke it.  Seems pretty clear cut to me.  I do not feel bad for him at all.  He took a risk, and got caught.

post #152 of 398
You know, I'm pretty sure Josh Gordan was at my school the other day with a baggie full of Kush and a Smith & Wesson.

True story.

I feel bad for him. Homie was just trying to get a lift. He wasn't jackin' PED's or ****ing with some nose candy.
post #153 of 398
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14ledo81 View Post
 

 

Regardless of whether or not the rule needs to change, there is a rule in place.  He broke it.  Seems pretty clear cut to me.  I do not feel bad for him at all.  He took a risk, and got caught.

 

Yup. He should have just gotten pinned with felony gun charges, airport bomb threats, or beating the s*** out of his woman. Much less time off.

 

BTW, it's arguable whether or not he "broke it". With as low as the NFL tests, you would fail the test after going to a Dave Matthews concert.

post #154 of 398
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtogolf View Post
 

I feel bad for the kid, the US and professional sports need to get their act straight with regards to recreational drugs, specifically marijuana.  Gordon is losing his income for an entire season for using a drug that is legal to use in some states and isn't even tested for in the NBA.

 

Me too. I'm baffled by what this league thinks is "important" in terms of personal conduct.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14ledo81 View Post
 

 

Regardless of whether or not the rule needs to change, there is a rule in place.  He broke it.  Seems pretty clear cut to me.  I do not feel bad for him at all.  He took a risk, and got caught.

 

Here's the deal. Josh passed more than 70 drug screenings before the one that was questlionably positive. Two samples from the same piss. One is one nanogram/litre above the limit, and the second sample is nearly two nanograms/litre BELOW the limit. That's inconclusive at best. Would you convict someone on that evidence? I wouldn't. And the limit is based on WADA standards which have since been raised to 150 ng/l, 10 times higher than the NFL's baseline. 

post #155 of 398
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slice of Life View Post

Yup. He should have just gotten pinned with felony gun charges, airport bomb threats, or beating the s*** out of his woman. Much less time off.

BTW, it's arguable whether or not he "broke it". With as low as the NFL tests, you would fail the test after going to a Dave Matthews concert.
Aldon Smith has a check in 2/3. I am sad. To be fair, the gun laws suck here. ZING

But yeah, don't threat and airport with a bomb.
post #156 of 398
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slice of Life View Post

Yup. He should have just gotten pinned with felony gun charges, airport bomb threats, or beating the s*** out of his woman. Much less time off.

BTW, it's arguable whether or not he "broke it". With as low as the NFL tests, you would fail the test after going to a Dave Matthews concert.
Couldnt agree more.
post #157 of 398
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slice of Life View Post

Yup. He should have just gotten pinned with felony gun charges, airport bomb threats, or beating the s*** out of his woman. Much less time off.

BTW, it's arguable whether or not he "broke it". With as low as the NFL tests, you would fail the test after going to a Dave Matthews concert.
Multiple violations, however. At some point, regardless your position on rec drugs, you gotta pay for your insubordination or stupidity, take your pick. No sympathy from here but I do hope he's learned a lesson from it, which, after all is the purpose. At least, that's why I punish my kids.
post #158 of 398
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunther View Post

Multiple violations, however. At some point, regardless your position on rec drugs, you gotta pay for your insubordination or stupidity, take your pick. No sympathy from here but I do hope he's learned a lesson from it, which, after all is the purpose. At least, that's why I punish my kids.
Josh Gordon likes weed.
post #159 of 398
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJH999 View Post

Josh Gordon likes weed.
Tru dat.
post #160 of 398
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtogolf View Post

I feel bad for the kid, the US and professional sports need to get their act straight with regards to recreational drugs, specifically marijuana.  Gordon is losing his income for an entire season for using a drug that is legal to use in some states and isn't even tested for in the NBA.

As far as I can tell, the NBA does test for weed. It's pretty lenient (in that they only test 4 times a year and they don't issue suspensions until the third violation), but they do test for it:

http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2013/8/29/4671280/nba-drug-use-tmz-lamar-odom-marijuana
Quote:
NBA players are tested for drugs four times per season. There are formal penalties for positive tests. As I've recently noted, one of the brilliant things about the NBA's drug program is that those who test positive for marijuana are kept secret until their third offense -- then they get hit with the telltale five-game suspension.

...

I have little doubt that there is rampant marijuana use in the NBA. I have little doubt that there is rampant marijuana use by any group of younger-than-40 rich people. Two states did make recreational pot legal a couple months ago. Attitudes on the drug have changed, largely in younger generations. The NBA has rules against it, so players are at least somewhat careful. (That does not apply to Michael Beasley.) But it's not some great revelation that NBA players smoke. Nor is it really much of a problem. At least there's no evidence that it's hurting the players, their families or anyone else.


http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/51305/gaps-in-nba-drug-testing
Quote:
The NBA’s first confirmed performance-enhancing drug cheaters received five-game suspensions. More recently, 10 games has been the norm. As of the 2011-2012 season, the punishments have been ramped up. For a first doping offense, it’s a 20-game suspension. A second failure calls for 45 games. A third positive test results in banishment from the league.

In contrast, a first failed test for “drugs of abuse” -- cocaine, speed, heroin, LSD and the like -- results in instant disqualification from the league. In some cases, most recently Chris Andersen, such players are later reinstated.

Marijuana has its own more lenient standards, where a first positive test results in treatment, a second positive result means treatment and a fine, and third positive test calls for a five-game suspension.


Not that I disagree with your main point. Just want to make sure the facts are straight.
post #161 of 398
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moxie Dawn View Post
 
 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14ledo81 View Post
 

 

Regardless of whether or not the rule needs to change, there is a rule in place.  He broke it.  Seems pretty clear cut to me.  I do not feel bad for him at all.  He took a risk, and got caught.

 

Here's the deal. Josh passed more than 70 drug screenings before the one that was questlionably positive. Two samples from the same piss. One is one nanogram/litre above the limit, and the second sample is nearly two nanograms/litre BELOW the limit. That's inconclusive at best. Would you convict someone on that evidence? I wouldn't. And the limit is based on WADA standards which have since been raised to 150 ng/l, 10 times higher than the NFL's baseline. 

 

Maybe I would and maybe I would not.  Not really my decision to make (and I don't have the expertise to say).  

 

My initial point was solely based on the premise that he did in fact break the rule.  I do not have sympathy for rule breakers.  If he did in fact use marijuana (I don't want to argue that point), he had to know the potential consequences.  And still chose to jeopardize his career? 

post #162 of 398
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamo View Post


As far as I can tell, the NBA does test for weed. It's pretty lenient (in that they only test 4 times a year and they don't issue suspensions until the third violation), but they do test for it:

http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2013/8/29/4671280/nba-drug-use-tmz-lamar-odom-marijuana
http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/51305/gaps-in-nba-drug-testing
Not that I disagree with your main point. Just want to make sure the facts are straight.

My understanding is they test rookies 4 times a year but after the rookie year they are tested once in the off-season.  I have seen conflicting reports, so maybe that's not current policy.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Sports
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The 19th Hole › Sports › Are you ready for some NFL Football? 2014 Edition.