or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Golf Talk › Big Cup hole-in-one
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Big Cup hole-in-one - Page 2

Poll Results: Is a hole-in-one in a big cup still a hole-in-one?

 
  • 29% (9)
    Yes
  • 70% (22)
    No
31 Total Votes  
post #19 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtogolf View Post
 

Not trying to nitpick but I'm confused as to why you voted "yes".  We often talk on here about golf as a gentleman's game and importance of self policing of the rules.  The Rules of Golf define a "hole" as;

While it is still a great achievement, if all our golf achievements are based on playing by the ROG, then in theory it's a hole in one but not a hole in one in accordance with the Rules of Golf which is what I believe the OP was asking. 

 

I never said it was a hole-in-one under the Rules of Golf. I just said it "counted" if he thought it counted. What's it to anyone else? Him claiming that hole in one doesn't diminish anyone else's accomplishments.

 

I had severa holes in one the other day at mini golf. They "counted" too. One even occurred on a hole where the average score was nearly 4 excluding my ace.

 

I don't believe the OP was asking whether it was a HIO "in accordance with the Rules of Golf." They weren't playing "golf" under the RoG, so…

post #20 of 34

Honestly, having an accomplishment that I can't feel that I can brag about is the biggest reason that I've started playing meticulously by the rules of golf. I wouldn't feel right claiming a hole in one, or even a birdie, if I'd done something like not take a penalty, moved my ball, or played a mulligan off the tee. So I wouldn't feel right claiming any accomplishment if I'd have to explain an asterisk associated with it.

post #21 of 34

I would write a one on the scorecard and might even talk about the "hole in one" with the players in my group after the round.

 

That said, if somebody asked me sometime after that if I had ever made a hole in one my answer would still be no. If I felt like making conversation I might mention that I had one using 15" holes one time.

 

P.S. I also know people that have made a hole in one during what was clearly a practice round where multiple balls were hit (and one during a scramble) and some of them consider it a "hole in one". No skin off of my nose so I don't think much about it, even though I wouldn't claim it myself.

post #22 of 34

I voted yes, definition of a hole-in-one, ball goes in the hole in one shot, however, you have to put an * by it!

post #23 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by iacas View Post
 

 

I never said it was a hole-in-one under the Rules of Golf. I just said it "counted" if he thought it counted. What's it to anyone else? Him claiming that hole in one doesn't diminish anyone else's accomplishments.

 

I had severa holes in one the other day at mini golf. They "counted" too. One even occurred on a hole where the average score was nearly 4 excluding my ace.

 

I don't believe the OP was asking whether it was a HIO "in accordance with the Rules of Golf." They weren't playing "golf" under the RoG, so…

I do believe that is what he's asking since the answer would be obvious otherwise since he took one swing and the ball ended up in the hole.

post #24 of 34

Just got back from a golf trip and the first round we played using 8-inch cups. No one in our group of 12 had an ace or came really close, but the conversation did come up about "what if?..." Many have pointed out that you have to define what counts.  For the sake of the telling the story, yeah I'd have no problem saying I had a hole in one, but I'd always qualify it with "on on 8-inch cup."  Last year one guy in our group, playing his second round of 18 holes ever-his first was day one of our trip, had an ace on a regulation size cup. I had no hesitation having a plaques made up for that one, I might have if it were an 8-inch cup. 

post #25 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtogolf View Post
 

I do believe that is what he's asking since the answer would be obvious otherwise since he took one swing and the ball ended up in the hole.

 

I disagree.

 

The answer the way you're taking it is so obvious I don't know that he'd even create a thread. He wasn't playing capital-G "Golf" so it doesn't "count" under the strict definition of the Rules of Golf.

 

I took it as him counting it amongst his career "holes in one" or something like that. Not something to do with the Rules of Golf.

 

Plus, my first post said I wouldn't "count" it.

 

P.S. This isn't in the Rules sub-forum.

post #26 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by MS256 View Post
 

I would write a one on the scorecard and might even talk about the "hole in one" with the players in my group after the round.

 

That said, if somebody asked me sometime after that if I had ever made a hole in one my answer would still be no. If I felt like making conversation I might mention that I had one using 15" holes one time.

 

P.S. I also know people that have made a hole in one during what was clearly a practice round where multiple balls were hit (and one during a scramble) and some of them consider it a "hole in one". No skin off of my nose so I don't think much about it, even though I wouldn't claim it myself.

Wait, are you suggesting that you also wouldn't "count" a hole-in-one made in a scramble event?  Eff that!  Eff that right in the ear!  (South Park reference ;))

 

Multiple balls on the same hole, yeah, I get that that has to have an asterisk (because it's no different than our good friend @logman and his 'hole-in-one' for par after dunking one), but a scramble?  No way!  That counts. :beer:

post #27 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfingdad View Post
 

Wait, are you suggesting that you also wouldn't "count" a hole-in-one made in a scramble event?  Eff that!  Eff that right in the ear!  (South Park reference ;))

 

Multiple balls on the same hole, yeah, I get that that has to have an asterisk (because it's no different than our good friend @logman and his 'hole-in-one' for par after dunking one), but a scramble?  No way!  That counts. :beer:


I figured most people would think so. :-D

 

Not me though.

post #28 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfingdad View Post
 

Wait, are you suggesting that you also wouldn't "count" a hole-in-one made in a scramble event?  Eff that!  Eff that right in the ear!  (South Park reference ;))

 

Multiple balls on the same hole, yeah, I get that that has to have an asterisk (because it's no different than our good friend @logman and his 'hole-in-one' for par after dunking one), but a scramble?  No way!  That counts. :beer:

It depends on our definition of "count" again.  I'd tell people I made a hole in one if it occurred during a scramble but in terms of my club recognizing it as one, it wouldn't "count".

post #29 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by MS256 View Post
 


I figured most people would think so. :-D

 

Not me though.

Just remember that next time it happens and they try to give you a car or a million dollars.  Just say "Sorry, I cannot accept this prize, as I do not recognize the accomplishment." :-P

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtogolf View Post
 

It depends on our definition of "count" again.  I'd tell people I made a hole in one if it occurred during a scramble but in terms of my club recognizing it as one, it wouldn't "count".

Absolutely.  Your club falls into the category of groups I mentioned in my first post.  If there is somebody out there actually recognizing the accomplishment under certain parameters, then obviously, those parameters have to be met to qualify for that particular award.  However, my parameters are very simple:

 

Does it affect the way you answer the question "How many holes-in-one do you have?"  If you mention it when answering that question, even with a qualifer, then it obviously "counts" to some degree.

post #30 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfingdad View Post
 

Just remember that next time it happens and they try to give you a car or a million dollars.  Just say "Sorry, I cannot accept this prize, as I do not recognize the accomplishment." :-P

 

Oh I would take the car (or whatever) and I would think it was an accomplishment because:

 

(A) It was a good shot.

 

(B) It won me a prize.

 

(C) It helped the team score.

 

I just wouldn't add it to my "hole in one" total that stands at zero.

post #31 of 34
Thread Starter 

It has been so fun to read everyone's opinions and I guess its time to give my two cents. The reason I initially asked the question was I was actually happy the ball didn't go in. I didn't want my first hole-in-one to have an asterisk or disclaimer attached to it, as i feel it should.   Is it a 1 on the score card....obviously, but the true standard is done with a 4.25 inch cup in my opinion.  Funny thing is that I have witnessed 2 hole-in-ones.  One hit a tree and the other never got more than 5 feet off the ground. At least my shot did exactly what I was trying to do.


 

post #32 of 34

The worst thing about a hole-in-one into an 8-inch cup is it might also have been one with a 4 1/4-inch cup. Unless somebody's close enough to see it rim in or whatever, the player is forever left to wonder.

post #33 of 34

If you hit it in the hole on one shot, it's a HIO, but it would've been a big-hole-HIO, not a HIO on reguarly sized holes.
 

post #34 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by David in FL View Post

In 45+ years of playing, I've never had an ace. I can think of at least 2 that would have gone in a 15 inch hole in the last 6 months alone though.....

Just sayin'..... I don't know that I could afford the bar bills though! a2_wink.gif

I've "only" been playing golf for 40 years......what is this "hole in one" that everyone is talking about?

 

:-(

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Golf Talk
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Golf Talk › Big Cup hole-in-one