or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Golf Talk › Is absolute satisfaction attainable in golf?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Is absolute satisfaction attainable in golf?

Poll Results: Is absolute satisfaction attainable in golf?

 
  • 37% (21)
    Yes
  • 55% (31)
    No
  • 7% (4)
    maybe when I shoot 18 under par
56 Total Votes  
post #1 of 50
Thread Starter 

I look at posts of my rounds, post-round emails I sent to friends, and I came to the conclusion that I appear to never be fully satisfied with my round. There are days where I'm relatively more satisfied than others, but really there's always something to pick at. If I made par, I'll still wonder why I didn't play more break/chip in for birdie. 

 

Do you guys ever just finish a round and feel true satisfaction deep inside?

post #2 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3putter View Post
 

I look at posts of my rounds, post-round emails I sent to friends, and I came to the conclusion that I appear to never be fully satisfied with my round. There are days where I'm relatively more satisfied than others, but really there's always something to pick at. If I made par, I'll still wonder why I didn't play more break/chip in for birdie.

 

Do you guys ever just finish a round and feel true satisfaction deep inside?

I voted yes because I felt that way after winning my first tournament last year.  When I'm not competing, then it's virtually impossible to feel that satisfaction because there is no barometer.  In fact, if I take that same exact round and pretend like it wasn't a competition, then I'm back to nitpicking.  It's one of the best rounds I've played in two years (still) and yet it's all about the little mistakes.  The "what-ifs."  If I can take back those two 3-putts, the bogey on the short par 5, and the double on the short par 4 from the fairway, I could've broken par!

 

It's a crazy game.

post #3 of 50

Well I do not have the ability to play with the best of the best on a pro tour some where, so that is not a goal that I can satisfy. 

 

When I golf, I am on the course for reasons other than just hitting the ball for a lowest score. I want to be out of doors. I like meeting new people. Sometimes there is wild life on the course that is nice to see. 

 

As for golf, right now in my game, I am quite happy with any score under 85. Am I completely satisfied with 85 or lower? No I can't say that I am 100% satisfied, because there is usually a missed shot, or missed putt that could have made at least a one stroke difference in my score. I shot an 80 the other day which was my lowest score after a forced 2 year lay off from the game. I was quite pleased with that score, and probably 95% satisfied. I missed a 5' putt that would have given me a 79. I also 3 putted on another green that might have cost me a 78.  

 

I don't think if a golfer truly looks at their game they will ever be 100% satisfied. Every round a golfer plays, there is one shot, or one putt that could have saved a stroke, maybe two. I also think that once a golfer is completely satisfied with their game, they will lose interest in playing the game. Being happy, and satisfied are two different feelings 

post #4 of 50

I voted yes.

 

There are times when I have complete satisfaction.  Even if it is only after a range or video session.  Sometimes I may hit 3 or 4 greens in a row and par those holes.  I am satisfied for a bit anyway.

post #5 of 50

Good God, no!

 

The better you get, the higher the expectations.  Tiger Woods gets as frustrated at the game as I do.  That's what's so great about this silly game!

post #6 of 50

I say yes.  If you just mean happy about a round, over the past couple years I've consciously worked on enjoying the chance to play regardless of outcome, so I leave the course happy unless I play absolutely dreadfully the entire round.  I assume you mean can you be satisfied with how well you played, not just happy about having gotten to play and hit some decent shots.

 

I still say yes.  I mean, I'm momentarily satisfied after ever great shot, any birdie (or eagle!), and many/most pars.  I'm satisfied with how I played over the entire round any time I shoot well for me.  So anything in the 70s and I'm definitely satisfied.  Low 80s on a tough course and I might leave satisfied too.  That's not to say I don't look at the scorecard and think about the couple shots I gave away and how I could have scored even better.  But if I shoot a 77 I'm leaving quite satisfied with how I played even if I 3-putted or made a dumb decision or had my worst stroke at the worst time and doubled a hole I should be able to par or whatever.

 

EDIT:

 

I notice the OP was "absolute" satisfaction.  I might have to back away from my answer a bit...  I suppose I could be "absolutely" satisfied if I played around scratch and felt like I was playing about at the max level I was athletically capable of.  But then again, talk to me if I ever get to 0.5!


Edited by mdl - 7/29/14 at 5:59pm
post #7 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by David in FL View Post
 

Good God, no!

 

The better you get, the higher the expectations.  Tiger Woods gets as frustrated at the game as I do.  That's what's so great about this silly game!

I agree, no way in hell is "absolute" satisfaction attainable.  If it were, I would lose interest.  Plus, as a quasi agnostic not much is absolute.  Well...maybe absolute frustration.  ;-)

post #8 of 50

I've been absolutely satisfied with particular scores or the outcomes of matches, but never with my overall play during a particular round, and there's no way I ever will be.

 

Once you've played long enough and advanced to a certain skill level, there's not a single shot you're faced with that you haven't executed to the absolute best of your physical ability at least once in the past. And even during my best rounds, there are probably at least a couple dozen shots -- maybe twice that many, I don't know -- that weren't the best I could possibly do.

 

Therefore, "absolute satisfaction" is all but unattainable. Knowing that going in, it's not really an issue. The only variable is the degree of dissatisfaction I'll leave the course with that day.

post #9 of 50

Yes.  I guess a lot depends on your personality, but I think it is quite attainable.  I set my sights on realistic achievements, and I am totally satisfied when I hit those marks.  When I shot 73 and made my first ace on the same weekend in the 1989 club championship (while carrying a legitimate 16 handicap), I was beyond just satisfied.

 

The converse to your question is that absolute frustration is also attainable.  I've been experiencing that lately, so I can testify to the fact that golf is often a game of fantastic highs and devastating lows.   It's golf.  -  what more needs to be said?  :smartass:

post #10 of 50

I would be absolutely satisfied if I shot the course rating the majority of the time.

 

More than likely obtainable but more than likely never going to happen.

 

So I'll just have to live with little non-absolute satisfactions, like winning the money in the Saturday games.

 

It's not how good you play it's how bad your opponents play. :-D 

post #11 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3putter View Post
Do you guys ever just finish a round and feel true satisfaction deep inside?

I think here that we are dealing with semantics. The title of the thread is "absolute" satisfaction, and the question above is "true" satisfaction.

 

True satisfaction can be felt when you have a successful round for any number of reasons. In addition, I can feel true satisfaction, in fact, just by hitting one very good shot during the course of a round.

 

The definition of absolute is "free from imperfection." Absolute satisfaction would be that you didn't miss a single shot in the entire round. Once you miss a shot you have diminished your round. Therefore, absolute satisfaction in golf is virtually impossible.

 

 

post #12 of 50
Sure it is. Just be content with shooting 90.
post #13 of 50
No. No. &*#$ no. If I was happy with my game i would not be online reading about how to get better every day a few times a day. The thing is I love the process of trying to get better. So i doubt I'll ever be absolutely satisfied with my game but I'm cool with that.
post #14 of 50
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfreuter415 View Post
 

I think here that we are dealing with semantics. The title of the thread is "absolute" satisfaction, and the question above is "true" satisfaction.

 

True satisfaction can be felt when you have a successful round for any number of reasons. In addition, I can feel true satisfaction, in fact, just by hitting one very good shot during the course of a round.

 

The definition of absolute is "free from imperfection." Absolute satisfaction would be that you didn't miss a single shot in the entire round. Once you miss a shot you have diminished your round. Therefore, absolute satisfaction in golf is virtually impossible.

 

 

I see what you're saying, and I believe "absolute" will be determined by each individual...hopefully with regards to one's own ability. 

 

For example, if I shot 84, but did it with no 3-putts and no doubles, I would probably come very close to absolute satisfaction. I would walk away knowing that I need to improve this or that, but I would be satisfied that I was free of those 2 things (3-putts and doubles)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MS256 View Post

 

So I'll just have to live with little non-absolute satisfactions, like winning the money in the Saturday games.

 

It's not how good you play it's how bad your opponents play. :-D 

Undeniable satisfaction

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourputt View Post

 

The converse to your question is that absolute frustration is also attainable.  I've been experiencing that lately, so I can testify to the fact that golf is often a game of fantastic highs and devastating lows.   It's golf.  -  what more needs to be said?  :smartass:

Haha, those are a dime a dozen. I see on the faces of many, and if I had a mirror while I play, I'd see it on my face too.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patch View Post
 

 

When I golf, I am on the course for reasons other than just hitting the ball for a lowest score. I want to be out of doors. I like meeting new people. Sometimes there is wild life on the course that is nice to see. 

 

 

If told on the first tee that I would shoot 140, I'd probably still go out and play anyways. This silly game has a hold on me regardless of the score.  

post #15 of 50

   Don't know how anyone's answer can be yes unless you always play your absolute best.  That's just being real, not jaded. I shot 77-73 today  which is very good but I missed a 1 foot putt which I still can't believe and I didn't hit every shot perfect and most likely never will.  I strive to be perfect but I don't think that's attainable for anyone

post #16 of 50
I would say no, but there was only 1 hole in my tournament today that I would like to truly have back. Pretty satisfied
post #17 of 50
I'm the 18 under par vote but I could probably take it back and just say no because if I shot 18 under par I would probably wonder why I didn't eagle more holes. To me golf is about never being satisfied and at the same time taking joy in little victories. Putting better In a round, chipping better, making solid contact with the irons every time, working a tight draw off the box or whatever I may be working on. This games is humbling and unless you are real good and you swing is totally ingrained there always seems to be steps backwards. With all that said I shot a 78 Friday and on 18 Saturday at the end where I was working on stuff during my round and shot an 84 I asked "why the heck do I play this game". My cart partner said "dude, you shot a 78 yesterday" and all I could think is "yeah but I want to snap every club in my bag today". I guess it's about learning to love the journey. I haven't got there yet obviously.
post #18 of 50

No, not with my personality.  I am always striving to be better and whatever I do.  Even with a great round for me, I will think about what I can improve upon.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Golf Talk
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Golf Talk › Is absolute satisfaction attainable in golf?