or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The 19th Hole › The Grill Room › The Official (Not Official At All) Drugs & Alcohol Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Official (Not Official At All) Drugs & Alcohol Thread

post #1 of 386
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJH999 View Post

It's not different from failing a test and getting fired at work I suppose.

Which I also view as bullshit and a huge violation of personal freedoms.

EDIT BY @jamo: This is an offshoot of the Dustin Johnson cocaine suspension thread. If you want to talk about drug policy, do it here.
post #2 of 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest Jones View Post

Someone else mentioned this up-thread and I kinda agree. Why is DJ getting suspended for drug use?

 

 

 

Because this country is still full of prohibitionists and prohibitionist thinking.  It's changing, but not fast enough. 

post #3 of 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest Jones View Post


Don't get me wrong, I'm not advocating for recreational drug use but I am advocating for personal freedoms without a nanny state telling us what we can and cannot do. Persecution for victimless crimes is total bullshit IMHO.

 

Do you really think buying, selling and using coke is a Victim less crime...?   Better think again my friend. People get Murdered over such things, people get robbed, people die from over doses 

post #4 of 386
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aguirre View Post


Because this country is still full of prohibitionists and prohibitionist thinking.  It's changing, but not fast enough. 
Amen brother.
post #5 of 386
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer 4 View Post

Do you really think buying, selling and using coke is a Victim less crime...?   Better think again my friend. People get Murdered over such things, people get robbed, people die from over doses 
Sorry, but that's pretty weak. Lots of people do tons of coke without doing any of those things.
post #6 of 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aguirre View Post
 

I think it's significantly different than an average workplace.  For one, the PGA Tour is not paying him a salary and he is not their employee.  If drug abuse is hurting his performance, it's only damaging himself.  I don't blame the players for wanting to test for PEDs.  I wouldn't want to feel pressured in a doping arms race.  But recreational drugs?  Who cares with a tour pro?

 

But if I'm running a company, I probably wouldn't want my CFO doing rails off strippers tits and having an addiction.  It could seriously affect my bottom line.

It has more to do with the image of the organization than anything else.  The conduct of a companies employees or an organizations members reflect upon the company or organization and if it puts them in a negative light then it is usually not good for the bottom line.

 

 

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJH999 View Post

It's not different from failing a test and getting fired at work I suppose.
 
Originally Posted by Ernest Jones View Post


Which I also view as bullshit and a huge violation of personal freedoms.

I dont particularly care either way about a person who uses recreational drugs and i dont think using drugs make someone a bad person but companies also have the freedom to decide what type of person works for them.  if they decide that they dont want drug users to work for them then that is their right and if you disagree with them then you have the freedom to work somewhere else or not buy that companies products

post #7 of 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer 4 View Post
 

 

Do you really think buying, selling and using coke is a Victim less crime...?   Better think again my friend. People get Murdered over such things, people get robbed, people die from over doses 

 

People get killed over drugs because drugs are illegal.  The same thing happened when alcohol was illegal in the 1920s.  When people are running an illegal business, they resort to illegal means to protect their business.  It's not as though they can take rival dealers to courts.  The black market runs up prices, and rather than help addicts, we throw them in prison.  

 

Also, alcohol and cigarette smoking kill far more people than cocaine every year.  The dangers of illicit drugs like cocaine, heroin, and even crystal meth are constantly overhyped by law enforcement and public health types, because it helps their parasitic profession.

 

We're getting off topic here.  But no, DJ blowing a few lines off Paulina's ass isn't victimizing anyone.

post #8 of 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest Jones View Post


Sorry, but that's pretty weak. Lots of people do tons of coke without doing any of those things.

 

 

You need to read up on the sales of illegal drugs. My statement is in no way weak. Your view on the subject is blind. In case some of you haven't noticed, drugs are Illegal to sell, possess and use.

 

If you condone the use, you are saying the Drug cartels are o.k. doing what they do. Like growing pot on Public land in our forest's and ruining the water ways, tossing tons of garbage and destroying the land. If that's o.k. with you, then you have issues.

post #9 of 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest Jones View Post


Sorry, but that's pretty weak. Lots of people do tons of coke without doing any of those things.

I don't think that Hammer4's point is weak- just the opposite in fact.  Maybe the end recreational user believes they aren't hurting anyone, except themselves, but there is a lot of bad stuff happening when the bad guys battle over territory so that they can control the distribution and sale of illegal drugs. I think it's pretty naive to think drug use is a victimless crime. 

post #10 of 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer 4 View Post
 

 

 

, drugs are Illegal to sell, possess and use.

 

 

 

I do not define my morality based on what governments (the most vile and inconsistent institutions in the world when it comes to ethics) say is good or bad.

post #11 of 386
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer 4 View Post


You need to read up on the sales of illegal drugs. My statement is in no way weak. Your view on the subject is blind. In case some of you haven't noticed, drugs are Illegal to sell, possess and use.

If you condone the use, you are saying the Drug cartels are o.k. doing what they do. Like growing pot on Public land in our forest's and ruining the water ways, tossing tons of garbage and destroying the land. If that's o.k. with you, then you have issues.
With all due respect, you're missing the point entirely. All that tragic stuff you just cited is not caused by drugs, they're caused by the War on Drugs.

Lots of people were murdered during the Prohibition too, now you just go to the liquor store and get a bottle of wine whenever you want. You want to take down the drug cartels? Legalize it. BOOM. No more black market and no more cartels.
post #12 of 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest Jones View Post


With all due respect, you're missing the point entirely. All that tragic stuff you just cited is not caused by drugs, they're caused by the War on Drugs.

Lots of people were murdered during the Prohibition too, now you just go to the liquor store and get a bottle of wine whenever you want. You want to take down the drug cartels? Legalize it. BOOM. No more black market and no more cartels.

 

 

So, you think that coke and other drugs are O.K. then..? Then you would have no problem if your kids used coke now and then.?  No, it's Not just the War on drugs, Legalize coke...geese, that's sad. 

 

I'm done, already Way OT..

post #13 of 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aguirre View Post

People get killed over drugs because drugs are illegal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aguirre View Post

Also, alcohol and cigarette smoking kill far more people than cocaine every year.  
Funny. People get killed over drugs because they are illegal, but yet the two drugs that are legal kill the most. I think you're a little bit delusional.
post #14 of 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest Jones View Post


With all due respect, you're missing the point entirely. All that tragic stuff you just cited is not caused by drugs, they're caused by the War on Drugs.

Lots of people were murdered during the Prohibition too, now you just go to the liquor store and get a bottle of wine whenever you want. You want to take down the drug cartels? Legalize it. BOOM. No more black market and no more cartels.

though the war on drugs is certainly causing a lot of the violence surrounding drugs i think you are discounting the potential problems that would follow a complete legalization of drugs by making them more available and more widely used.  though alcohol is now legal there are still a ton of issues surrounding it like alcoholism, and drunk driving that are killing quite a lot of people each year and driving up the cost of healthcare.  Legalizing drugs would most likely have a similar effect across the country and i see it as a simple calculation...are the deaths/costs associated with the war on drugs less than the deaths/costs of legalizing the drugs

post #15 of 386
There seems to be a fair amount of debate about drugs and alcohol and things of that nature. Have at it ladies and gentlemen.
post #16 of 386
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer 4 View Post


So, you think that coke and other drugs are O.K. then..? Then you would have no problem if your kids used coke now and then.?  No, it's Not just the War on drugs, Legalize coke...geese, that's sad. 

I'm done, already Way OT..
Straw man. Cocaine is a terrible substance to put in your body. Never said otherwise, not once.

But I agree, way OT.
post #17 of 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac20 View Post



Funny. People get killed over drugs because they are illegal, but yet the two drugs that are legal kill the most. I think you're a little bit delusional.

 

I was obviously referring things such as gangland style shootings over drug turf.  

 

Let me know if you need me to hold your hand through any any other posts.

post #18 of 386

Drugs are bad....MmmKay...

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: The Grill Room
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The 19th Hole › The Grill Room › The Official (Not Official At All) Drugs & Alcohol Thread