or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Tour Talk › 2014 PGA Championship Discussion Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

2014 PGA Championship Discussion Thread - Page 5

post #73 of 1750
Brian Norman(a CP), Russell Knox, and Roberto Castro will kick it off at 4:30 PT. Tiger 5:35 PT(If he plays)
post #74 of 1750

Tiger has actually become a distraction for the last major of the year. It's completely insignificant whether or not he plays.  If he does, there's no way he's well enough to be in contention.  Even at his best this season, he's been insignificant.  The media and fans need to seriously focus on the guys on tour that still have a chance to win Major Championships, because Tiger's day is done.  

post #75 of 1750

Would you take a bet that gives you Rory against the field with 10 to 1 odds?? 

post #76 of 1750
Quote:
Originally Posted by albatross View Post
 

Tiger has actually become a distraction for the last major of the year. It's completely insignificant whether or not he plays.  If he does, there's no way he's well enough to be in contention.  Even at his best this season, he's been insignificant.  The media and fans need to seriously focus on the guys on tour that still have a chance to win Major Championships, because Tiger's day is done.  


Kind of agree here. I don't know if Tiger is done for good and I don't think anyone can be positive about that. But I do think he will be a non-factor at the PGA.

post #77 of 1750
Quote:
Originally Posted by albatross View Post

 

Tiger has actually become a distraction for the last major of the year. It's completely insignificant whether or not he plays.  If he does, there's no way he's well enough to be in contention.  Even at his best this season, he's been insignificant.  The media and fans need to seriously focus on the guys on tour that still have a chance to win Major Championships, because Tiger's day is done.


Insignificant to what? As stated before, he's the needle. He attracts a lot of attention. Maybe not righteously so always, but generally, him being in a tournament gives more viewers.

post #78 of 1750
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeph View Post
 


Insignificant to what? As stated before, he's the needle. He attracts a lot of attention. Maybe not righteously so always, but generally, him being in a tournament gives more viewers.

My point is that he shouldn't be the needle. You need to perform in order to "be the needle."  I was as big a Tiger fan as anyone, 8 years ago.  It's time to move on. 

post #79 of 1750

\

Quote:
Originally Posted by albatross View Post
 

Would you take a bet that gives you Rory against the field with 10 to 1 odds?? 

 

I would. Problem is the odds for Rory are 4/1. Not worth a Vegas bet.

post #80 of 1750
Quote:
Originally Posted by albatross View Post

 

My point is that he shouldn't be the needle. You need to perform in order to "be the needle."  I was as big a Tiger fan as anyone, 8 years ago.  It's time to move on.


He's been performing for 16 years, won five times and finished 2nd in FedEx Cup last year.

post #81 of 1750
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeph View Post
 


He's been performing for 16 years, won five times and finished 2nd in FedEx Cup last year.

LAST YEAR.  Exactly.  

post #82 of 1750

I don't see where we go with this. He's Tiger and he will be given attention as long as he's here, like it or not.
 

post #83 of 1750
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowcelica View Post

Also the local news is reporting that woods has put in for an extension to register today, he now has until Thursday to register.

Can someone explain to me the implication if he registers and then withdraws vs. he does not register and therefore does not have to withdraw.

post #84 of 1750
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeph View Post
 

I don't see where we go with this. He's Tiger and he will be given attention as long as he's here, like it or not.
 

I agree with you. My point was that I'm getting totally sick of the attention now that he's a non factor in golf tournaments. 

post #85 of 1750
Quote:
Originally Posted by albatross View Post

 

I agree with you. My point was that I'm getting totally sick of the attention now that he's a non factor in golf tournaments.


I see your point. Personally, I don't mind, since I might not experience another player like Tiger in my life. I want to see how far he can get.

 

Also, he's just returned from surgery. We don't know when he will be contending again. Could be this week for all we know.

post #86 of 1750
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally Fairway View Post
 

Can someone explain to me the implication if he registers and then withdraws vs. he does not register and therefore does not have to withdraw.

I am not sure that there is,  The PGA Tour can penalize a player who withdraws from a tournament unless the player is injured or the players poor performance is a distraction to playing partners.

 

I'm not sure if how they would consider the situation where Tiger, knowingly injured, takes a spot in the field and then isn't able to compete.  If Tiger doesn't play, they have alternates ready to take his spot, if he withdraws after the opening round, he wastes the spot and opportunity that others would have had to play.

post #87 of 1750

Weather forecast does not look good for this PGA Championship. Friday looks really bad.

 

Thursday: 50% chance of PM Storms

 

Friday: 90% of Heavy Thunderstorms

 

Saturday: 50% chance of Scattered Thunderstorms

 

Sunday: 40% chance of PM Storms

post #88 of 1750
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisP View Post
 

Weather forecast does not look good for this PGA Championship. Friday looks really bad.

 

Thursday: 50% chance of PM Storms

 

Friday: 90% of Heavy Thunderstorms

 

Saturday: 50% chance of Scattered Thunderstorms

 

Sunday: 40% chance of PM Storms

That's normal summer weather around here, it could be downpours at my house and when i get to work 30 mins away not a drop or the other way around. Not to mention in the fall/winter one day it will be 30* and snowing next day 70's. I wouldn't read to much into it until the day gets here.

post #89 of 1750

How is the coverage of this tournament, btw? Any early broadcasts?
 

post #90 of 1750

Tiger Woods to play practice round at 2pm.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Tour Talk
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Tour Talk › 2014 PGA Championship Discussion Thread