or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Practice Range › Fitness and Exercise › tennis elbow brace
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

tennis elbow brace

post #1 of 13
Thread Starter 

I have been diagnosed with tennis elbow and have to wear a brace when playing golf.  Can anybody recommend one?  I am currently wearing an Ace brand with a strap that goes over the affected tendon.  It works great, but given that I have to wear it every day, I want to get an extra or two so that I can rotate them and allow it to air out. 

 

Does anybody have a recommendation? 

 

Here is what I am wearing now..

http://www.amazon.com/ACE-Elbow-Strap/dp/B006BV08P4/ref=sr_1_1?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1407169183&sr=1-1&keywords=ace+elbow+strap

post #2 of 13

The Band-It worked for me. Allowed me to play. I also wore it at home so when I lifted anything, I received relief.

 

Bought it on Amazon.

 

And did some stretching of the wrists/hands.

post #3 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Desmond View Post
 

The Band-It worked for me. Allowed me to play. I also wore it at home so when I lifted anything, I received relief.

 

Bought it on Amazon.

 

And did some stretching of the wrists/hands.


Is it this one?

http://www.amazon.com/Pro-Band-Sports-ABI00-Therapeutic/dp/B000FML7SW

post #4 of 13

I have bone spurs in my left elbow, which is beyond tennis elbow. I wear the Aircast  adjustable band. Bought it at Big 5 sporting goods. While it doesn't eliminate the pain, it does make it manageable so I can swing a club. Sorry, don't have a link for you. 

post #5 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by clearwaterms View Post
 


Is it this one?

http://www.amazon.com/Pro-Band-Sports-ABI00-Therapeutic/dp/B000FML7SW

Yes, that is it...

 

____
 

You may do the stretching exercises right away. You may do the strengthening exercises when stretching is nearly painless.

STRETCHING EXERCISES

  • Wrist active range of motion, flexion and extension: Bend the wrist of your injured arm forward and back as far as you can. Do 2 sets of 15.
  • Wrist stretch: Press the back of the hand on your injured side with your other hand to help bend your wrist. Hold for 15 to 30 seconds. Next, stretch the hand back by pressing the fingers in a backward direction. Hold for 15 to 30 seconds. Keep the arm on your injured side straight during this exercise. Do 3 sets.
  • Forearm pronation and supination: Bend the elbow of your injured arm 90 degrees, keeping your elbow at your side. Turn your palm up and hold for 5 seconds. Then slowly turn your palm down and hold for 5 seconds. Make sure you keep your elbow at your side and bent 90 degrees while you do the exercise. Do 2 sets of 15.
  •  
post #6 of 13

There are two ways to take on "tennis elbow/lateral elbow pain"
You can band-aid it with a brace or you can fix the actual problem causing the pain.

Most of the time it's because your muscles aren't strong enough to handle loads when they are in a long position.

So basically imagine your wrist going backwards would be the short position for the affected muscles and the wrist downwards would be the long.

 

You can stretch the muscles all day and night and you're really not going to get any results because you're mainly stretching tendons, which is one of the major problems in the first place.

You need to get some muscle work/massage/soft tissue work done on the actual muscle bellies while you move your wrist.

After the pain subsides you need to strengthen the right muscles.   Depending on the equipment you have these can range from fairly simple exercises to various complicated ones.

 

Bone spurs come later when you let this problem occur over time. Basically the body protects the area that is essentially being constantly torn, by replacing those tendons with bone. Again, the bone spur isn't the problem, it's what is causing the need for the bone spurts.

post #7 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by JML22 View Post
 

There are two ways to take on "tennis elbow/lateral elbow pain"
You can band-aid it with a brace or you can fix the actual problem causing the pain.

Most of the time it's because your muscles aren't strong enough to handle loads when they are in a long position.

So basically imagine your wrist going backwards would be the short position for the affected muscles and the wrist downwards would be the long.

 

You can stretch the muscles all day and night and you're really not going to get any results because you're mainly stretching tendons, which is one of the major problems in the first place.

You need to get some muscle work/massage/soft tissue work done on the actual muscle bellies while you move your wrist.

After the pain subsides you need to strengthen the right muscles.   Depending on the equipment you have these can range from fairly simple exercises to various complicated ones.

 

Bone spurs come later when you let this problem occur over time. Basically the body protects the area that is essentially being constantly torn, by replacing those tendons with bone. Again, the bone spur isn't the problem, it's what is causing the need for the bone spurts.

I think it all depends.

 

I earned results with stretches, band-it use, gyro-ball, massage, and rest. But I also played using a band-it for a few weeks.

 

Haven't used it since April...

post #8 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer 4 View Post
 

I have bone spurs in my left elbow, which is beyond tennis elbow. I wear the Aircast  adjustable band. Bought it at Big 5 sporting goods. While it doesn't eliminate the pain, it does make it manageable so I can swing a club. Sorry, don't have a link for you. 


can I ask those of you that are affected - was golf believed to be the cause of your tennis elbow?  My doctor is claiming that it was a result of extended exposure to poor posture in front of a computer.  I work on computers all day as part of my job...

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JML22 View Post
 

There are two ways to take on "tennis elbow/lateral elbow pain"
You can band-aid it with a brace or you can fix the actual problem causing the pain.

Most of the time it's because your muscles aren't strong enough to handle loads when they are in a long position.

So basically imagine your wrist going backwards would be the short position for the affected muscles and the wrist downwards would be the long.

 

You can stretch the muscles all day and night and you're really not going to get any results because you're mainly stretching tendons, which is one of the major problems in the first place.

You need to get some muscle work/massage/soft tissue work done on the actual muscle bellies while you move your wrist.

After the pain subsides you need to strengthen the right muscles.   Depending on the equipment you have these can range from fairly simple exercises to various complicated ones.

 

Bone spurs come later when you let this problem occur over time. Basically the body protects the area that is essentially being constantly torn, by replacing those tendons with bone. Again, the bone spur isn't the problem, it's what is causing the need for the bone spurts.

 

Thank you for the tips.  Can you please post some of those exercises?  I have already gotten an xray and am making an appointment to see an ortho to discuss next steps. 

post #9 of 13

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=tyler+twist

 

Those are probably the best strengthening exercises with a theraband bar. I can't recommend which strength to use as i haven't seen the severity in person.


You really should go get the muscles bellies worked out and be under someone for care. It's a very very simple problem  to fix. If treated correctly surgery is rarely needed.

 

If you tell me where you are I would be happy to find you a PT, Chiro, massage therapist or acupuncturist to work with you on this, or better yet, a place ethat has all of the above :D

post #10 of 13
post #11 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:


maybe I put it on wrong, but I put it so the white piece was centered against the tendon that is causing me issues approx. 2-4" below my elbow.  It didn't fit, provided ZERO relief, and it didn't matter how tight i put it, it never worked.  I have not worn it since. 

 

I have been using the ace elbow strap brand.

http://www.amazon.com/ACE-207360-Elbow-Strap/dp/B001ALY6SK

post #12 of 13
Quote:

 

 

I dunno. my Air Cast brace works pretty good for me.  Also, I put the brace about 1 1/2" below my elbow. Last night I hit about 350 balls, got 100 free..and my elbow felt pretty good.;-)

post #13 of 13

I use this one by Ace and it works quite well for tennis elbow (outside) but not so good for golfer's elbow (inside). It has a tightening dial that allows you to dial up or dial down more/less pressure. 

 

http://www.acebrand.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/AceBrand/Home/Products/Product-Catalog/~/Elbow-Strap-with-Custom-Dial-System?N=3294529207+4304+3294605570&rt=rud

 

I also have one of these around the office and at home by my couch. When I use it, it really helps.

 

http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/gofit/hand-grips.html?MCID=CG-PLA-US&CAWELAID=120147270000060437&CAGPSPN=pla&catargetid=120147270000096059&cadevice=c

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Fitness and Exercise
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Practice Range › Fitness and Exercise › tennis elbow brace