or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Golf Talk › Golf stats by handicap?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Golf stats by handicap? - Page 2

post #19 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by clearwaterms View Post

So what you are saying is, to shoot better, hit more greens? 


Really?  Here is an article that says hitting 6 greens a round puts you in the 5-10 handicap.  I don't keep a handicap because I don't consider my scores to be official.  That being said, I believe that I am a fairly honest 16ish golfer. 

On the back side i hit 4 greens and shot a 4 over 38, and that included a OB drive that effectively costs you 2 strokes (stroke and distance)

http://www.thegrint.com/range/2013/03/golf-tips-gir/

The front however, I was 11 over with 2 greens hit.  Now I was 11 over because of 2 blow up holes that cost me multiple strokes.  I should have shot closer to 43-44. 

Pretty sure that 5-10 handicaps hit more greens than 6 per round. I think near GIR is less than 10 yards off e green or a simple chip at more yardage.
We're pretty much in the same boat as far as greens and scores are concerned. I'm guessing the courses i play are a tiny bit harder, which is why my handicap is a teeny bit lower. Did you use the online tools to calculate your handicap?

Quote:
Originally Posted by clearwaterms View Post

here is an interesting article..

http://probablegolfinstruction.com/golf-scoring-statistics.htm
SCORE = 102.6 - 2.7 X #pars
GIR is SCORE = 95.1 - 2.0 X GIR

I am going to assume that pars are holes of par or better.  I had 3 birdies today but only 2 pars... 

So looking at that =5 (which is about normal for me)
102.6 - (2.7 * 5) = 89.1 (this is about normal for me)

I would also say that I typically hit around 5-6 greens a round
95.1 - (2.0 * 5.5) = 84.1  (this is lower than my norm)

so if I want consistently get into the 83-85 (closing on single digit handicap) I need to work on getting better at getting up and down.  Does that sound right? 

I think this formula is too general, keeping a spreadsheet or using the online handicap calculators is better.
Quote:
Originally Posted by clearwaterms View Post


sounds like i need to hit the practice green... 

Ball striking is key for people in our handicap range. We need more GIR.
post #20 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lihu View Post


Pretty sure that 5-10 handicaps hit more greens than 6 per round. I think near GIR is less than 10 yards off e green or a simple chip at more yardage.
 

Six is about right. My current GIR is 38.9% so for me about 7 GIR, my handicap trend as of today is 8 so right in the middle of the 5-10 group. My scores and stats are more an indication of half decent ball striking. I get up and down frequently because I am NGIR often. Better misses lead to better opportunities.

 

I played last night and scrambled at 58.3%. Now while that looks awesome on paper I was able to get a putter on it several times the others were routine bump and run shots that left me putts in the sub 10 foot range. Easy stuff just about anyone could pull off. The story was how I got there. Hit 76.9% FIR so not a lot of stress with approach shots. When I hit bad shots I was punished, the two doubles I made were the result of not being near the green after poor approach shots.

post #21 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave2512 View Post
 

Six is about right. My current GIR is 38.9% so for me about 7 GIR, my handicap trend as of today is 8 so right in the middle of the 5-10 group. My scores and stats are more an indication of half decent ball striking. I get up and down frequently because I am NGIR often. Better misses lead to better opportunities.

 

I played last night and scrambled at 58.3%. Now while that looks awesome on paper I was able to get a putter on it several times the others were routine bump and run shots that left me putts in the sub 10 foot range. Easy stuff just about anyone could pull off. The story was how I got there. Hit 76.9% FIR so not a lot of stress with approach shots. When I hit bad shots I was punished, the two doubles I made were the result of not being near the green after poor approach shots.

 

Agreed, your NGIR stats are probably closer to more than 80%. I think this stat is more important for the 15 handicap to improve to where you are. I'm still struggling to break 85 on a regular basis which I've only done twice. Once on a course so easy I was 4 over par after 18 holes (56 CR), and once by pure luck (two birdies for an 84).

post #22 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lihu View Post
 

 

Agreed, your NGIR stats are probably closer to more than 80%.

Varies day to day. Some days I struggle and still score ok for me. If I hit one real bad shot on any hole it usually leads to bogey or worse.

post #23 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave2512 View Post
 

Six is about right. My current GIR is 38.9% so for me about 7 GIR, my handicap trend as of today is 8 so right in the middle of the 5-10 group. My scores and stats are more an indication of half decent ball striking. I get up and down frequently because I am NGIR often. Better misses lead to better opportunities.

 

I played last night and scrambled at 58.3%. Now while that looks awesome on paper I was able to get a putter on it several times the others were routine bump and run shots that left me putts in the sub 10 foot range. Easy stuff just about anyone could pull off. The story was how I got there. Hit 76.9% FIR so not a lot of stress with approach shots. When I hit bad shots I was punished, the two doubles I made were the result of not being near the green after poor approach shots.

 

Interesting...after reading your post I realized that my scrambling percentage is actually higher than I think it is.  That's because I count any stroke with my putter as a putt, even if it's not an official putt that is on the green.  I know that usually at least once per round I am putting from the fringe or just off the green and get par which is technically a successful scramble.

 

The reason I do this is so I can tell how I'm doing with my ball striking and how I'm doing with my putting because as you know, some stats are not what they seem and I wanted the truth so I knew what to work on....

post #24 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjwestner View Post
 

 

 

The reason I do this is so I can tell how I'm doing with my ball striking and how I'm doing with my putting because as you know, some stats are not what they seem and I wanted the truth so I knew what to work on....

Yeah I want the real deal with my GIR stats and my stat tracker does it for me, if I miss a green by a foot and input 2 putts it's going to call it GIR when it's not. I don't want it to be artificially high because I miss more than I hit. I average about 29-30 putts a round and I am happy with that. I work on my putting constantly just because it's quick and easy to do so no reason not to. For me confidence is everything with putting. If I leave myself an 8 footer or whatever I actually say out loud "I can make that, I've been making those all year" and often sink it.  I can attribute my trend down from horrible when I started in 4/12 to where I am now from hitting the ball better. I am going in for a tune up today. I am sure my instructor will have some interesting things to say, haven't been there in a month.

post #25 of 27
Here's my stats:
Putts per GIR: 1.9
Putts per hole: 1.7
Scrambling: 38%
GIR: 54%
Fairways: 32%
Handicap: 1.8

These are the stats from my home course and a couple others I play with any frequency.
post #26 of 27
Started looking at stats of other golfers in my handicap club. Not everyone keeps them but it was interesting to look at guys with a similar handicap. In almost every instance they were pretty close to mine if in the 7-9 range. The scores were all over the place though. There are guys playing in the 5-10 range that had some unbelievably high scores. History of a string of mid 70's scores and then blam a couple 95's. Obviously out of their 10 best but makes me wonder what happened on those days. I suppose it's not extraordinary, the spread between my best and worst in the last 20 is probably 10 strokes or so.
post #27 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave2512 View Post

Started looking at stats of other golfers in my handicap club. Not everyone keeps them but it was interesting to look at guys with a similar handicap. In almost every instance they were pretty close to mine if in the 7-9 range. The scores were all over the place though. There are guys playing in the 5-10 range that had some unbelievably high scores. History of a string of mid 70's scores and then blam a couple 95's. Obviously out of their 10 best but makes me wonder what happened on those days. I suppose it's not extraordinary, the spread between my best and worst in the last 20 is probably 10 strokes or so.

 

or a 97 for a 10HC and a 99 for a 15HC??

 

I think I can narrow down on what happened in both cases. :smartass:

 

Clearly.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Golf Talk
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Golf Talk › Golf stats by handicap?