I went to a new course today with a couple buddies (Crystal falls golf course in Leander, Texas. Rated 70.6/126 from the tees we played from) and was shocked at how different it was. Previous courses I have played have generally been long, flat and mostly wide-open with a fair number of bunkers. This course was gorgeous but had massive elevation changes, was incredibly tight and did not have a single bunker. I ended up shooting a 91 while hitting 9 GIR (:O) and only losing one ball the entire round. I'm happy with the GIR as I usually only hit 6 a round and only losing one ball on a course this tight. However, putting/chipping on a completely different course killed me. I had 43 putts. 43! I usually end up around low 30s for putts. It also probably didn't help much that we were running late getting to the course and weren't able to warm up in anyway.
A couple of shots that I was particularly proud of:
1. Short par 4 (320-330 yds or so). Tee shot has a tree hanging over the right half of the fairway at my normal trajectory. I was able to hit a stinger with a baby draw on it right up the fairway. A big deal for me as I've been practicing it on the range lately and hadn't used it on the course yet.
2. Another short par 4 with a similar yardage. I hooked a 3 wood into the woods and had around 160 to the green but had tree's lined up that I had to hit a low hook to have a chance at the green. I was able to pull it off and get on the green by hitting a 7 iron stinger!
Frustrations with the round:
1. Ball striking wasn't particularly crisp all day. I hit a lot of shots reasonably well but none pure. Many would be slightly thin and end up in a reasonably good spot.
2. Short-game was awful!!! I didn't blade any chips or mishit any putts, I just had no distance control until hole 12 or 13.
3. I had a really solid back 9 going (2 over on the back 9 going into hole 17 and 18, an easy par 4 and easy par 5) and blew up. I triple bogeyed both holes :O. On 17 I hit a solid 3 wood but caught a bad break as it hit a tree, ricocheted backwards and left me with a tough second shot. I was able to hit a 6 iron over a few trees just right of the green and then pitched it on. Then my putter failed me with a 4 putt :/ On 18 I could not hit the ball. I hit my tee shot extremely low and it went about 50 yards. Topped the next shot and then was able to put 2 mediocre shots together in a row to get next to the green, chipping for 5. Awful chip followed by 3 putts. Yikes.
1. It really seem to need a few minutes to warm up on the putting green and on the driving range or it really hurts my game. Are most golfers this way or are any of you able to go out with no warm up and shoot similar scores to your game once you warm up?
2. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to hit a low slice? I have been just trying to finish low while holding off the release for my low shots and have been able to hit them dead straight all the way to major hooks. I have not been able to slice them.
3. What's the worst score differential you have had between your handicap and your score? I'm currently a 9.5 handicap and did not come anywhere close to that today!