or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Tour Talk › European Ryder Cup team
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

European Ryder Cup team

post #1 of 134
Thread Starter 

I'm sure there was a thread somewhere, or perhaps it was one of those that morphed?

 

Anyway, this last week has been all about America. Not surprising really

 

The latest twist in the Tiger hokey kokey looks more out than in again as the talismanic totem withdraws (bring the curtain down on this soap opera Tom)

Dustin Johnson is now suspended for rather well documented reasons (call it what you will, but its suspension in everything but name)

Phil Mickelson is out of the points and making cryptic references to withdrawing himself if he hasn't qualified on merit

 

On Sunday night it was suggested to Paul McGinlay that he must be happy with the way things had panned out as two Europeans fought out the lead (a hint coming incidentally that there's a blossoming friendship there which could seem them paired). McGinlay had a pretty smug grin, and didn't even bother serving up platitudes about Dustin Johnson getting well soon. It tells me he's focused, and in the cold reality of the task he has to deliver, having Johnson out the way (regardless of the reason) assists he cause. End of, little room for sentiment there.

 

Anyway, in amongst all this, a minor selection issue now looms for Europe.

 

Graeme McDowell has fought his way past Luke Donald largely unnoticed, who now slips out of the automatic places. Luke has been something of a foursomes specialist, but his form this year has been patchy at best, and bad for the most part. I suspect they'd be happy to have him fight his way past Jamie Donaldson who also seems to have lost his way a bit

 

It's increasingly looking as if Westwood won't make it, or is going to require the skippers pick (which I'm not convinced he'll be granted) and on current form, I'm not sure Luke is playing well enough to recover either. 

 

Personally I like the look of a foursomes pairing of Donald and Dubuisson, but that's just a hunch based on scrambling abilities

post #2 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarawayFairways View Post
 

I'm sure there was a thread somewhere, or perhaps it was one of those that morphed?

 

Anyway, this last week has been all about America. Not surprising really

 

The latest twist in the Tiger hokey kokey looks more out than in again as the talismanic totem withdraws (bring the curtain down on this soap opera Tom)

Dustin Johnson is now suspended for rather well documented reasons (call it what you will, but its suspension in everything but name)

Phil Mickelson is out of the points and making cryptic references to withdrawing himself if he hasn't qualified on merit

 

On Sunday night it was suggested to Paul McGinlay that he must be happy with the way things had panned out as two Europeans fought out the lead (a hint coming incidentally that there's a blossoming friendship there which could seem them paired). McGinlay had a pretty smug grin, and didn't even bother serving up platitudes about Dustin Johnson getting well soon. It tells me he's focused, and in the cold reality of the task he has to deliver, having Johnson out the way (regardless of the reason) assists he cause. End of, little room for sentiment there.

 

Anyway, in amongst all this, a minor selection issue now looms for Europe.

 

Graeme McDowell has fought his way past Luke Donald largely unnoticed, who now slips out of the automatic places. Luke has been something of a foursomes specialist, but his form this year has been patchy at best, and bad for the most part. I suspect they'd be happy to have him fight his way past Jamie Donaldson who also seems to have lost his way a bit

 

It's increasingly looking as if Westwood won't make it, or is going to require the skippers pick (which I'm not convinced he'll be granted) and on current form, I'm not sure Luke is playing well enough to recover either. 

 

Personally I like the look of a foursomes pairing of Donald and Dubuisson, but that's just a hunch based on scrambling abilities

@FarawayFairways ,

 

How about Molinari?  His recent play has been very good.

post #3 of 134

Current situation

 

From the European Points List:

 

- Rory McIlroy

- Viktor Dubuisson

- Sergio Garcia

- Henrik Stenson

 

From the World Points List:

 

- Justin Rose

- Martin Kaymer

- Thomas Bjorn

- Graeme McDowell

- Jamie Donaldson

 

My guesses (or hopes) for the three captain's picks:

 

- Luke Donald. Very close on direct qualification.

- Francesco Molinari

- Joost Luiten. Okay, it's more hoping then realistic. But his scores on both the points list are similar to Molinari, Poulter and Jimenez who can also be a captain's pick. Also his performance with Dubuisson in the EurAsia Cup (which he played by request of McGinley) and in the Seve Trophy was impressive.

post #4 of 134
Thread Starter 

FWIW, I think he's under very serious consideration (Mollinari). He's also got a good record at, and an affinity for Gleneagles (he used to go on holiday there as a teenager).

 

I'd imagine his playing record has likely be gained on the Kings Course though? (I don't know) but he is on record as saying he's desperate to make this team

 

I always thought he was the sort of talent who could put a run together, and equally blow up under pressure (ideal fourballs player). He's played a few cups now without setting the world alight, but you wouldn't say he was disgraced either. On balance I'd be leaning towards picking him, and if McGinlay is true to his promise of weighing towards form rather than reputation, I think he will

post #5 of 134

He has a great name too!.  Francesco Molinari!  Being half Italian myself, I think it sounds like a famous chef or renaissance artist.

post #6 of 134
Thread Starter 

Well if Donaldson were to slip off (quite possible) I doubt he'd get back as a Captains pick. It requires Luke to overtake him though. It would strengthen Europe's team on paper you suspect as what would have happened in reality once the music had stopped playing, is that McDowell would have replaced Jamie Donaldson

post #7 of 134

Can I ask you guys what you think of Joost Luiten? I feel like I'm the only one here mentioning him (in any topic), and I sincerely hope I'm not boring you all with that. But I'm very curious if he's known a bit outside Netherlands. Offcourse he is by people following the European Tour, but what about the people from the USA? Do you know him, do you like the fact that there's a new player in town from a country that never really had world class golf players, or you couldn't care less about that?

 

Thanks for your opinions.

post #8 of 134

I just hope Jiminez gets in - would make for such good viewing.   He's playing very well, and hate to say it, would have to be a boost for the Euro team's morale.

post #9 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent View Post
 

Can I ask you guys what you think of Joost Luiten? I feel like I'm the only one here mentioning him (in any topic), and I sincerely hope I'm not boring you all with that. But I'm very curious if he's known a bit outside Netherlands. Offcourse he is by people following the European Tour, but what about the people from the USA? Do you know him, do you like the fact that there's a new player in town from a country that never really had world class golf players, or you couldn't care less about that?

 

Thanks for your opinions.

I all honesty I had never heard of him until you mentioned him 10 times in the past 2 days, but I don't watch a lot (or any really) European Tour events. Mostly because they aren't televised as often here or are televised at odd times. Looking at his stats I see a couple of ET wins last year, with the win of MAJ looking like he played lights out.

 

Aside from that, what makes him special? Tell me more. I'm interested.

post #10 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent View Post
 

Can I ask you guys what you think of Joost Luiten? I feel like I'm the only one here mentioning him (in any topic), and I sincerely hope I'm not boring you all with that. But I'm very curious if he's known a bit outside Netherlands. Offcourse he is by people following the European Tour, but what about the people from the USA? Do you know him, do you like the fact that there's a new player in town from a country that never really had world class golf players, or you couldn't care less about that?

 

Thanks for your opinions.

 

 

I know of him simply because I follow golf, but I would not say he stands out above the rest. I believe at least one of their captain's picks will be an Englishman which narrows his chances even further. 

post #11 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent View Post
 

Can I ask you guys what you think of Joost Luiten? I feel like I'm the only one here mentioning him (in any topic), and I sincerely hope I'm not boring you all with that. But I'm very curious if he's known a bit outside Netherlands. Offcourse he is by people following the European Tour, but what about the people from the USA? Do you know him, do you like the fact that there's a new player in town from a country that never really had world class golf players, or you couldn't care less about that?

 

Thanks for your opinions.

No casual golf fan in the states has any idea who Joost is. In fact even hardcore PGA fans here don't know much about him. I see him quite a bit on the Euro leaderboards so I'm familiar with him. But he just doesn't seem to have the look or personality that grabs people like say, Victor Dubuisson or Donaldson. 

 

In fact I'll get brutally honest. The first time I saw him I was like, wow, what an incredibly dorky looking dude. He couldn't fight his way out of a paper bag. I can say that because I look like a dork myself.

 

He still hasn't shown much of his personality. Based on google pictures he looks like a happy-go-lucky guy, but I just haven't seen much. 

 

Long story short, no one will be following him at Valhalla, and probably only 5% of the people going to the PGA Championship are familiar with him.

post #12 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest Jones View Post
 

I all honesty I had never heard of him until you mentioned him 10 times in the past 2 days, but I don't watch a lot (or any really) European Tour events. Mostly because they aren't televised as often here or are televised at odd times. Looking at his stats I see a couple of ET wins last year, with the win of MAJ looking like he played lights out.

 

Aside from that, what makes him special? Tell me more. I'm interested.

I promise I will putt some more variation in my posts, I don't want to be known as a broken record even though he is the biggest reason I watch.

 

What makes him special is his steadyness. Last season he was number 1 on the European Tour in all stats combined (driving accuracy, GIR, putts per round etc.). Don't know how to explain that exactly in English, but they gave all those stats a certain rating and the combination of those putt him on the nr. 1 spott.

 

In the past his short game was his weak spot. He trained a lot on that and it paid off. Last year he won twice on the Tour (Austria and on home soil the KLM Open, after a play-off against Jimenez). This season he didn't win yet, after being very close in Spain and Austria (just one shot apart from the leaders) and 2 shots away from winner Oosthuizen in the Volvo Championship in South Africa, $4 million dollars purse. End of 2013 he was in the top 50 of the world for the first time, ensuring his participacion at Augusta (T26) and a lot of other big tournaments (T13 at Doral for example). 

 

Last couple of tournaments he's not playing well unfortunalty. Not well at all to be honest. Before that I don't remember seeing him miss a single cut and a lot of top 10's. I really believe he will miss the Ryder Cup just on that; with a solid performance last week and at the PGA Champiomship he might even qualified for it directly. But that's the way the game is offcourse. In my opinion Luiten can be one of the best in the world from tee to green. This is his first year on those big tournaments, makes me really curious about next year. Hopefully he will play on the PGA full time.

post #13 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crim View Post
 

No casual golf fan in the states has any idea who Joost is. In fact even hardcore PGA fans here don't know much about him. I see him quite a bit on the Euro leaderboards so I'm familiar with him. But he just doesn't seem to have the look or personality that grabs people like say, Victor Dubuisson or Donaldson. 

 

In fact I'll get brutally honest. The first time I saw him I was like, wow, what an incredibly dorky looking dude. He couldn't fight his way out of a paper bag. I can say that because I look like a dork myself.

 

He still hasn't shown much of his personality. Based on google pictures he looks like a happy-go-lucky guy, but I just haven't seen much. 

 

Long story short, no one will be following him at Valhalla, and probably only 5% of the people going to the PGA Championship are familiar with him.

Totally agree with you, he looks kind of boring. His steadyness is his weapon, but also makes him (combined with his appearance) boring and, as you say it, a bit dorky. 

post #14 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent View Post

Can I ask you guys what you think of Joost Luiten? I feel like I'm the only one here mentioning him (in any topic), and I sincerely hope I'm not boring you all with that. But I'm very curious if he's known a bit outside Netherlands. Offcourse he is by people following the European Tour, but what about the people from the USA? Do you know him, do you like the fact that there's a new player in town from a country that never really had world class golf players, or you couldn't care less about that?

Thanks for your opinions.
Think I picked him as a 2nd or 3rd pick in the US Open challenge. If you know the rules of that challenge, that might not be a compliment.

I've been familiar with him since last year, think he won a Euro event in '13. But yeah, he's not on anyone's radar in the US, unless they're recent Dutch immigrants.
post #15 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent View Post
 

I promise I will putt some more variation in my posts, I don't want to be known as a broken record even though he is the biggest reason I watch.

 

I actually love hardcore fans of one golfer because they have such specific knowledge of that single golfer that it makes things interesting.

 

Do your thing.  

post #16 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent View Post
 

Totally agree with you, he looks kind of boring. His steadyness is his weapon, but also makes him (combined with his appearance) boring and, as you say it, a bit dorky. 

I don't know about boring look, it's just, interesting and notably dorky. 

 

Jonas Blixt has to have one of the most boring looks ever. He's won 2 pga tournaments, tied for 2nd at the Masters this year and I guarantee most PGA fans still couldn't pick him out of a line up. 

post #17 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crim View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent View Post
 

Totally agree with you, he looks kind of boring. His steadyness is his weapon, but also makes him (combined with his appearance) boring and, as you say it, a bit dorky.

I don't know about boring look, it's just, interesting and notably dorky.

 

Jonas Blixt has to have one of the most boring looks ever. He's won 2 pga tournaments, tied for 2nd at the Masters this year and I guarantee most PGA fans still couldn't pick him out of a line up.

 

I disagree - Blixt is a Puma/Cobra guy & gets a fair amount of coverage when he plays here.      He's a flashy dresser & even had a spot on Holly's show as a guest ... so, he's much more visible than Joost and fair to say, most PGA fans know who he is ...

post #18 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by inthehole View Post
 

most PGA fans know who he is ...

The other stuff may be true, but I still HIGHLY disagree with this. You could maybe jog people's memories with, "he was that one guy that dressed up exactly like Rickie Fowler that one time."

 

But other than hardcore golf fans like ourselves, I don't think many fans from the states could pick him out of a lineup of 5 to 10 different golfers. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Tour Talk
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Tour Talk › European Ryder Cup team