or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Tour Talk › European Ryder Cup team
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

European Ryder Cup team - Page 2

post #19 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crim View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by inthehole View Post
 

most PGA fans know who he is ...

The other stuff may be true, but I still HIGHLY disagree with this. You could maybe jog people's memories with, "he was that one guy that dressed up exactly like Rickie Fowler that one time."

 

But other than hardcore golf fans like ourselves, I don't think many fans from the states could pick him out of a lineup of 5 to 10 different golfers.

 

I guess if we're considering casual golf fans that only watch occasionally and then only when Tigers playing ... that would be true

post #20 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by inthehole View Post
 

 

I guess if we're considering casual golf fans that only watch occasionally and then only when Tigers playing ... that would be true

My in laws love golf, they watch the PGA tour every single weekend, yet I still think they'd be hard pressed to pick Jonas out of a line up without having to eliminate the other people next to him. 

 

In fact that episode with Jonas and Holly, I bet most people were like, who the hell is that again? 

post #21 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crim View Post
 

I actually love hardcore fans of one golfer because they have such specific knowledge of that single golfer that it makes things interesting.

 

Do your thing.  

Thank you, we'll see. Will have to find a good balance in it. Will go completely crazy on and offline if he will get picked for the Ryder Cup team though :-)

post #22 of 106
Thread Starter 

Lets not forget the Dutch association with golf goes back much further than the American one (they claim to have invented it!!!!) albeit the evidence really weighs with the Scots and the Dutch can perhaps better lay claim to some early version of ice hockey. I suspect Silent is secretly annoyed that Colsearts played in a Ryder Cup first, but it's been a small trend (and still very small) that some non traditional European countries are starting to make the team. 

 

I also agree that dedicated obsessives can become endearing, and in a funny sort of way, you can't but help tacitly adopting the player concerned a little bit

 

The rump of Europe's RC teams is still GB, Ireland, Spain + Sweden, but there are some emerging golf playing countries like Portugal and Holland who should start to become a bit more prominent in the next decade. There's a few minor stirrings in Norway and Finland too. It's still embryonic of course but the potential is there. Europe first started to play as Europe in 1977 I think? or was it 79?

 

In any case, outside of the 4 countries that have made the team up, contributions from the rest of the continent have been slim

 

Germany (80m) - Langer & Kaymer

Italy (60m) - Rocca & two Mollinaris

France (65m) - Levet & Van de Velde

Denmark (?) - Bjorn & Hanson

Belgium (8m) - Colsearts

 

So there's plenty more to come. The real success story of course is Northern Ireland with a population of 1.7m, and yet have McIlroy, McDowell, and Clarke, who've all seemingly come from a 10 mile stretch of coastline (ok that's a stretch on Rory's part, but he certainly spent formative time at Portrush)

 

I think the evidence is probably pointing to Italy being the next country to join the top table, but if Dubuisson can make a name for himself, and with the French scheduled to host 2018, they too might emerge

post #23 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarawayFairways View Post

Lets not forget the Dutch association with golf goes back much further than the American one (they claim to have invented it!!!!) albeit the evidence really weighs with the Scots and the Dutch can perhaps better lay claim to some early version of ice hockey. I suspect Silent is secretly annoyed that Colsearts played in a Ryder Cup first, but it's been a small trend (and still very small) that some non traditional European countries are starting to make the team. 

I also agree that dedicated obsessives can become endearing, and in a funny sort of way, you can't but help tacitly adopting the player concerned a little bit

The rump of Europe's RC teams is still GB, Ireland, Spain + Sweden, but there are some emerging golf playing countries like Portugal and Holland who should start to become a bit more prominent in the next decade. There's a few minor stirrings in Norway and Finland too. It's still embryonic of course but the potential is there. Europe first started to play as Europe in 1977 I think? or was it 79?

In any case, outside of the 4 countries that have made the team up, contributions from the rest of the continent have been slim

Germany (80m) - Langer & Kaymer
Italy (60m) - Rocca & two Mollinaris
France (65m) - Levet & Van de Velde
Denmark (?) - Bjorn & Hanson
Belgium (8m) - Colsearts

So there's plenty more to come. The real success story of course is Northern Ireland with a population of 1.7m, and yet have McIlroy, McDowell, and Clarke, who've all seemingly come from a 10 mile stretch of coastline (ok that's a stretch on Rory's part, but he certainly spent formative time at Portrush)

I think the evidence is probably pointing to Italy being the next country to join the top table, but if Dubuisson can make a name for himself, and with the French scheduled to host 2018, they too might emerge
Damn, u can write sir. I'm willing to give the Dutch speed skating, not golf. ;)
post #24 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarawayFairways View Post
 

Lets not forget the Dutch association with golf goes back much further than the American one (they claim to have invented it!!!!) albeit the evidence really weighs with the Scots and the Dutch can perhaps better lay claim to some early version of ice hockey. I suspect Silent is secretly annoyed that Colsearts played in a Ryder Cup first, but it's been a small trend (and still very small) that some non traditional European countries are starting to make the team. 

I didn't know that to be honest. About Colsearts: there will always be some rivalry between Holland and Belgium, but in golf that's not really an issue. I really liked him to be picked as a captain's choice 2 years ago. Luiten wasn't in the picture at that point, so it was not a disappointment that he wasn't picked that time.

 

But golf is getting pretty big here. Did you know Holland was 2nd or 3rd on the list looking at the amount of tickets sold for the Ryder Cup 2014? Pretty impressive if you ask me, especially for such a small country which never had a player in the Ryder Cup so far.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarawayFairways View Post

 

I also agree that dedicated obsessives can become endearing, and in a funny sort of way, you can't but help tacitly adopting the player concerned a little bit

 

Mission accomplished? No, kidding ofcourse. But if me posting about him makes other people here more familiar about him, and maybe even checking his scores every now and then it will be a nice bonus. Just have to be carefull not to 'overplay my hand' (if that's a right expression here) and get people annoyed every time they hear the name Luiten. Maybe I should open a specific topic about him so everybody who is interested can read about him, and everybody who is not can just ignore it.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarawayFairways View Post
 

I think the evidence is probably pointing to Italy being the next country to join the top table, but if Dubuisson can make a name for himself, and with the French scheduled to host 2018, they too might emerge

 

Holland was also in the race to host the Ryder Cup 2018, unfort. they 'lost' to France.

post #25 of 106

I always thought Holland and The Netherlands were the same thing, a nation close to France and Belgium. Recently I learned that they are not, in fact, one in the same thing. 

post #26 of 106
Thread Starter 

Holland would have made a better location

 

For the unaccustomed (Holland has more liberal drinking laws than the French, and much more of a drinking culture too). France is more about food and farting!!!

 

OK back to the point. 

 

I'd say third biggest sell of tickets is very impressive actually. I'm assuming that the UK has been bracketed as one entity though? But Holland shouldn't be able to outsell the US really, so well done on that. Actually, it's quite remarkable when you think there won't be any Dutch representation.

 

Not really sure what the French contribution to golf has been other than the Caddie, and even that was a sort of Scottish influence

 

I'm sure no one will mind if you give Leuithen his own thread. I think you might also find that if you get hold of a social media channel and contact him, he might make the occasional contribution indirectly etc Wrap the approach in the Dutch flag, tie the European one to it, and explain that its a US facing board

post #27 of 106
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9iron View Post
 

I always thought Holland and The Netherlands were the same thing, a nation close to France and Belgium. Recently I learned that they are not, in fact, one in the same thing. 

 

Bloody Hell 9I

 

Don't ever go there and say that

 

Belgium is a fractured country too, depending on whether you're Flemish or Walloon

post #28 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarawayFairways View Post

 

 

 France is more about food and farting!!!

 

post #29 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9iron View Post
 

I always thought Holland and The Netherlands were the same thing, a nation close to France and Belgium. Recently I learned that they are not, in fact, one in the same thing. 

 

That correct: Noord Holland and Zuid Holland are a province (state) within the country the Netherlands. During my visits in the USA (twice, vacation) I noticed when I told people that I'm from the Netherlands they didn't always understand me, but when I told them Holland I got an 'ah yes'.

post #30 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarawayFairways View Post
 

 

I'd say third biggest sell of tickets is very impressive actually. I'm assuming that the UK has been bracketed as one entity though? But Holland shouldn't be able to outsell the US really, so well done on that. Actually, it's quite remarkable when you think there won't be any Dutch representation.

UK as one country yes. I think at that point it was 1. UK, 2. Netherlands and 3. USA. But I can't find the (English) article to back it up / show you. I will continue searching, am pretty sure it was on the site of the European Tour.

post #31 of 106

Found it. I apologize, I was a little bit too enthousiastic. Netherlands was 5th on the list:

 

[quote]People in 75 countries around the world will today receive news that their ticket application for The 2014 Ryder Cup was successful as the ballot for the event closes. Tickets will be posted to the lucky ballot winners next year.

Ryder Cup Europe has confirmed that final stage applications for tickets were up 38 per cent compared to the 2010 event at Celtic Manor in Wales, and more countries are represented in the final allocation than ever before.

The highly sought-after tickets contain several security measures, including the photograph of the buyer and a unique barcode, in an effort to prevent transfer and fraud. Organisers will warn successful applicants not to attempt to re-sell their ticket, and will be informing those who were unsuccessful in the ballot to avoid ticket reselling websites as the security measures all but eliminate the possibility of ticket transfers.

Around one in three (37%) spectators will be based in Scotland, where the event is being held. The top ten countries with ticket allocations to The 2014 Ryder Cup are: 

1. UK & Ireland

2. USA

3. Germany

4. Canada

5. The Netherlands

6. Italy

7. Australia

8. Sweden

9. France

10. Denmark[/quote]

post #32 of 106
Thread Starter 

Actually, the impressive showing on that list has to be the Canucks

 

No representation, a longer distance to come than most, a population about the size of Spain, and yet 4th on the list. That's impressive in the extreme

 

I'd be curious to know who Canada supports actually? Euphemistically I've met enough of them who aren't always that complimentary about the USA. I know from having watched previous events with Anzacs they they've always tended to support Europe. In fact America versus the Rest of the World represented by Europe might not be an unfair description?

post #33 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarawayFairways View Post

Euphemistically I've met enough of them who aren't always that complimentary about the USA.

The USA feels the same way about them! :mad:

 

well, I do at least.

post #34 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarawayFairways View Post

Bloody Hell 9I

Don't ever go there and say that

Belgium is a fractured country too, depending on whether you're Flemish or Walloon
Wait, Holland and The Netherlands ARE the same thing, no? I've been to both and it was at the same moment in time. What am I missing?
post #35 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunther View Post


Wait, Holland and The Netherlands ARE the same thing, no? I've been to both and it was at the same moment in time. What am I missing?

http://www.cgpgrey.com/blog/the-difference-between-holland-the-netherlands

post #36 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunther View Post


Wait, Holland and The Netherlands ARE the same thing, no? I've been to both and it was at the same moment in time. What am I missing?

 

Holland is a region within the country the Netherlands. However most people who say 'Holland' actually mean 'the Netherlands'. Common mistake. Even people in the Netherlands itself mix it up (for example cheering for the national soccer team goes like 'Hup Holland').

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Tour Talk
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Tour Talk › European Ryder Cup team