or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Tour Talk › Bubba being Bubba.....................again
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Bubba being Bubba.....................again - Page 4

post #55 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECUPirate View Post

Wow, didn't mean to strike a nerve.  It is "Man Crush Monday" though, isn't it?

He's just saying we've had a lot of "Look at that ******* Tiger swearing" threads.
post #56 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECUPirate View Post
 

 

Wow, didn't mean to strike a nerve.  It is "Man Crush Monday" though, isn't it?

Close.  It is "Call a guy on lying through his teeth Monday"

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gunther View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by turtleback View Post
 

 

OK so despite the fact that Tiger's on-course language has been a huge topic of discussion for 15 years YOU claim that "No one says anything when Tiger is dropping F bombs left and right." implying that Tiger gets better treatment than Bubba.  Only someone completely biased could make the statement: "No one says anything when Tiger is dropping F bombs left and right."

 

And then you come up with some lame-ass excuse that you wouldn't know if people said anything about Tiger's language because apparently for the last 15 years while Tiger has been roundly criticized for his on-course language you were out on the golf course and missed it.  Yet you DO know about his F-bombs.  And you expect anyone to believe that "No one says anything when Tiger is dropping F bombs left and right."  Or that somehow you know about the F-bombs but missed all of the criticism he got for them.

 

THAT bias.

 



We all bring our biases to the party when we post here or anywhere, it's kinda the point. Indeed, I find you to be perhaps the most biased member of this site. But, that's OK and why we're here.

I have my own biases, such as Bubba's a prick (and believe it or not, I'm a Christian). So, I'll come at threads about Bubba with that in mind. Don't think there's anything wrong with it; it's human nature and I is human.

 

Of course we all have our biases.  But they should only be biases in our opinions  This guy however, is lying through his teeth.  Or do you also remember Tiger dropping F-bombs left and right and having no one say anything about it?  I remember the F-bombs but I also remember all of the (rightful) criticism.  Facts are facts and do not admit of bias.  When it comes to facts one is either telling the truth, lying, or is mistaken. I KNOW this guy is not telling the truth, and I find it impossible to believe that he is honestly mistaken, because it is obvious it was a throwaway line with no validity and he still doesn't have the honesty to admit it.

post #57 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by turtleback View Post

Close.  It is "Call a guy on lying through his teeth Monday"

Of course we all have our biases.  But they should only be biases in our opinions  This guy however, is lying through his teeth.  Or do you also remember Tiger dropping F-bombs left and right and having no one say anything about it?  I remember the F-bombs but I also remember all of the (rightful) criticism.  Facts are facts and do not admit of bias.  When it comes to facts one is either telling the truth, lying, or is mistaken. I KNOW this guy is not telling the truth, and I find it impossible to believe that he is honestly mistaken, because it is obvious it was a throwaway line with no validity and he still doesn't have the honesty to admit it.
I've found you to have a strong pro-Tiger bias, which makes you more sensitive to the Tiger bashing around his language on the course. I think he's received minimal pushback for it myself, not none but I don't think he's been skewered for it either.

I don't find it unreasonable that the Pirate, without your natural sensitivity to the topic, could have passed by the criticism Tiger has received since it wasn't as meaningful to him. Just think it's a stretch to call him a liar and I believe you do that as a result of your own bias.
post #58 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunther View Post


I've found you to have a strong pro-Tiger bias, which makes you more sensitive to the Tiger bashing around his language on the course. I think he's received minimal pushback for it myself, not none but I don't think he's been skewered for it either.

I don't find it unreasonable that the Pirate, without your natural sensitivity to the topic, could have passed by the criticism Tiger has received since it wasn't as meaningful to him. Just think it's a stretch to call him a liar and I believe you do that as a result of your own bias.

To be fair, the message boards, this one included, light up like a Christmas Tree every time he commits ANY transgressions of ANY kind.

post #59 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest Jones View Post

To be fair, the message boards, this one included, light up like a Christmas Tree every time he commits ANY transgressions of ANY kind.

 



Sure, message boards do although I've found more Tiger apologists than haters. But message boards are frankly, meaningless in the greater context, although I effin love this particular site!

My point is that the media hasn't skewered Tiger for his transgressions, other than the lone wolf at the Golf Channel. They've commented and shown "disappointment" but the mainstream press hasn't really lit him up. Not sure they've torn up Bubba either; I'm inclined to think the criticism he's received is about equal to Tiger.

Actually, that wasn't my point at all. The reason I posted initially is that I found it amusing that one with such strong biases, criticize someone else for being biased.
post #60 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest Jones View Post
 

To be fair, the message boards, this one included, light up like a Christmas Tree every time he commits ANY transgressions of ANY kind.

AND the media, AND the golf broadcasts.  

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunther View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest Jones View Post
 

To be fair, the message boards, this one included, light up like a Christmas Tree every time he commits ANY transgressions of ANY kind.

 



Sure, message boards do although I've found more Tiger apologists than haters. But message boards are frankly, meaningless in the greater context, although I effin love this particular site!

My point is that the media hasn't skewered Tiger for his transgressions, other than the lone wolf at the Golf Channel. They've commented and shown "disappointment" but the mainstream press hasn't really lit him up. Not sure they've torn up Bubba either; I'm inclined to think the criticism he's received is about equal to Tiger.

Actually, that wasn't my point at all. The reason I posted initially is that I found it amusing that one with such strong biases, criticize someone else for being biased.
 

If you truly believe this then, due respect, you are friggin' crazy.

 

As to my biases, feel free to call me out for any factual errors I make.  And feel free to get back to me when Johnny Miller repeatedly calls out Bubba for his behavior.  And the Chairman of Augusta National calls out Bubba for his behavior.  After all, Tiger drops F-bombs left and right and "No one says anything . . ."

post #61 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by turtleback View Post

AND the media, AND the golf broadcasts.  

If you truly believe this then, due respect, you are friggin' crazy.

As to my biases, feel free to call me out for any factual errors I make.  And feel free to get back to me when Johnny Miller repeatedly calls out Bubba for his behavior.  And the Chairman of Augusta National calls out Bubba for his behavior.  After all, Tiger drops F-bombs left and right and "No one says anything . . ."

You've given 2 examples here. It's widely known that the media soft-pedals around Tiger to a large degree.

Again, because of your bias you are more sensitive to the criticism. As I don't have a bias either way, I don't pick up as much as you, kinda flies past me.

Indeed, you're so passionate on the topic that you're calling people liars and friggin crazy, neither of which characterizations are remotely true. Evidence enough.
post #62 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunther View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtleback View Post

AND the media, AND the golf broadcasts.  

If you truly believe this then, due respect, you are friggin' crazy.

As to my biases, feel free to call me out for any factual errors I make.  And feel free to get back to me when Johnny Miller repeatedly calls out Bubba for his behavior.  And the Chairman of Augusta National calls out Bubba for his behavior.  After all, Tiger drops F-bombs left and right and "No one says anything . . ."

You've given 2 examples here. It's widely known that the media soft-pedals around Tiger to a large degree.

Again, because of your bias you are more sensitive to the criticism. As I don't have a bias either way, I don't pick up as much as you, kinda flies past me.

Indeed, you're so passionate on the topic that you're calling people liars and friggin crazy, neither of which characterizations are remotely true. Evidence enough.

either:

- you watch very little golf and consume very small amounts of media, and thus "don't pick up much",

or

- you are being intentionally obtuse...
post #63 of 91

I'll preface that I'm not a Bubba fan, though I am a fan of some of the shots he pulls off from time to time.

 

1 - I've not really ever seen him abusive to a caddie.  I've seen him commiserate with his caddy and grumble in general, but griping in the direction of the one guy dedicated to your game, the one guy that's on your side, is NOT the same as chewing them out.  I gripe about the "shot", I gripe about "my swing", and it's 'to' my playing partners, but they've never taken it as being directed at them.  I think I'm right as the caddy's response to his comments has usually been along the lines of "yup, that sucks, let's focus on the next shot" - in other words, trying to diffuse the bad stuff.  The worst I've seen is dropping the club in the grass rather than hand it off.  But I see that from some of the nicest players out there too.  No biggie.  I'm sure the caddie is making plenty of money off of Bubba's top 20 performances.

 

2 - If griping and bitching about the bad shots gets it out of his system and allows him to play better, then I'm all for it.  However, it seems to be counterproductive for this specific individual and he should find a way to play on a more even keel.  I think it's a real problem that is holding him back from being even better.  If he won't use a swing coach, he sure could benefit from a mental performance coach for sure.

 

3 - I'm not a fan of negative demonstrations, so it's less fun to watch other than the whole "driving past a car accident" thing.  The meltdown is fascinating, but I'd still rather see a great performance of golf skill, rather than an entertaining performance of oddball personality.

post #64 of 91
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by rehmwa View Post
 

I'll preface that I'm not a Bubba fan, though I am a fan of some of the shots he pulls off from time to time.

 

1 - I've not really ever seen him abusive to a caddie.  I've seen him commiserate with his caddy and grumble in general, but griping in the direction of the one guy dedicated to your game, the one guy that's on your side, is NOT the same as chewing them out. 

Here ya go.  He clearly blames the caddie for telling him to use the wrong club......twice.

 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUA9g9HfRPg

 

 

Quote:
I'm sure the caddie is making plenty of money off of Bubba's top 20 performances.

That's not an excuse to be treated like crap.

Every other successful golfer has a caddie that makes good money too.

post #65 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Breeze View Post
 

Here ya go.  He clearly blames the caddie for telling him to use the wrong club......twice.

 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUA9g9HfRPg

 

Thanks I hadn't seen those, not a great moment(s) for Bubba at all for sure.  Like I said, it's not helping his game at all either.

post #66 of 91

Here you go turtleneck.  Not once did I hear a commentator say a word about Tiger saying GD this and F this, etc.  All I hear them saying is "No more commentating needed" and "He is running hot after 5 holes".

 

 

Maybe you could post something to add some validity to your argument?

post #67 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECUPirate View Post

Here you go turtleneck.  Not once did I hear a commentator say a word about Tiger saying GD this and F this, etc.  All I hear them saying is "No more commentating needed" and "He is running hot after 5 holes".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9acxovZXITI

Maybe you could post something to add some validity to your argument?

The live coverage commentators are not supposed to comment on swearing - the networks would rather pretend it didn't happen than bring more attention to it.

But as I said earlier, there are plenty of non-media people who dislike Tiger because of the swearing, and they have let it be known on the forum many times.
post #68 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECUPirate View Post
 

Here you go turtleneck.  Not once did I hear a commentator say a word about Tiger saying GD this and F this, etc.  All I hear them saying is "No more commentating needed" and "He is running hot after 5 holes".

 

It's off topic for this thread, so this is the last post about Tiger I'm going to allow, but a quick search revealed, among other threads, this one, for example:  Tiger's Poor (or Childish or Angry or Unprofessional) Antics .

 

:offtopic:

post #69 of 91
At least Bubba apologized and didn't give the "Sorry if I offended anyone" non-apology. Better than most people do in the public eye.
post #70 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by imsys0042 View Post

At least Bubba apologized and didn't give the "Sorry if I offended anyone" non-apology. Better than most people do in the public eye.

 

...and then repeats the behavior. 

 

After a while of that, the apology is just words.

post #71 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by zipazoid View Post

...and then repeats the behavior. 

After a while of that, the apology is just words.

Sometimes it takes awhile. Sometime it never takes. I think the jury is open on Bubba. I'm actually not a big fan of him, but I'd hold out hope that he grows into his position as a top talent out there right now.
post #72 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by imsys0042 View Post

Sometimes it takes awhile. Sometime it never takes. I think the jury is open on Bubba. I'm actually not a big fan of him, but I'd hold out hope that he grows into his position as a top talent out there right now.
He's 36 or so, it's not happenin.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Tour Talk
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Tour Talk › Bubba being Bubba.....................again