or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Golf Talk › Is This Protocol (Paying a Pro's Fee in a Weekly Game)???????
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Is This Protocol (Paying a Pro's Fee in a Weekly Game)??????? - Page 2

post #19 of 35
Thread Starter 

Don't get me wrong. He was a pleasure to play with and a pure gentleman through out the round. It was the game organizer who invited him in to the game so, he was an invited guest from the more I learn about the situation. Wasn't the kids fault. The organizer should have informed me before the round about the protocol. At the time I assumed they couldn't get a 4th for the group so the assistant filled the open slot.

 

He never uttered a word about my swing during the round. I wouldn't have wanted him to. I like my swing and have a coach in FL.  Another player in our foursome was having trouble off the tee and I saw/heard him talking to him about it. Was none of my business. I never asked for any tips and he never offered.

 

Did I benefit from his score? No. In the quota he shot -5 and I shot -3 and the other two in our foursome shot -5/e. The individual game winner shot +17 :-o and he's a scratch player Whooo Hoooo. Next closest was +5. We were Waaaay out of the money that day.

 

Will I play with him again?? Yes in a heartbeat :-) When I am the Inviter outside a game situation.

post #20 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfer6760 View Post
 

Don't get me wrong. He was a pleasure to play with and a pure gentleman through out the round. It was the game organizer who invited him in to the game so, he was an invited guest from the more I learn about the situation. Wasn't the kids fault. The organizer should have informed me before the round about the protocol. At the time I assumed they couldn't get a 4th for the group so the assistant filled the open slot.

 

He never uttered a word about my swing during the round. I wouldn't have wanted him to. I like my swing and have a coach in FL.  Another player in our foursome was having trouble off the tee and I saw/heard him talking to him about it. Was none of my business. I never asked for any tips and he never offered.

 

Did I benefit from his score? No. In the quota he shot -5 and I shot -3 and the other two in our foursome shot -5/e. The individual game winner shot +17 :-o and he's a scratch player Whooo Hoooo. Next closest was +5. We were Waaaay out of the money that day.

 

Will I play with him again?? Yes in a heartbeat :-) When I am the Inviter outside a game situation.


Seems to me that the game organizer should have paid for it (since he's the one that invited him) or asked everybody in the game if they all wanted to split the cost to for the pro to join the game.

 

Pretty common around here for owners of small courses to let "captains" (which are normally around scratch players) play at reduced rates in the choose-up games. Makes for much better games if there are enough captains to have a true captain on every team. Plus everybody enjoys having at least one really good player in the group.

 

Paying for a young pro to get started as a charitable act is something I would do if the situation came up, and have done the equivalent many times in another sport, but it was my choice and not something that another person decided I would do.

post #21 of 35

My thought is - 20 bucks - just pay it and enjoy the round...you stated "he works for you" fine then take care of your employee and hook him up. Think about it as picking up the tab for lunch!!

 

I can only say that at my club the pro wouldn't have to pay, the members wouldn't blink about footing the bill and i just wasted 3 minutes of my life responding here!! LOL have a nice day.

post #22 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Golfer View Post

My thought is - 20 bucks - just pay it and enjoy the round...you stated "he works for you" fine then take care of your employee and hook him up. Think about it as picking up the tab for lunch!!

I can only say that at my club the pro wouldn't have to pay, the members wouldn't blink about footing the bill and i just wasted 3 minutes of my life responding here!! LOL have a nice day.
Sorry to have wasted your time. Next time we'll remember to put out a sign out front.
post #23 of 35

This seems like something that makes sense at a country club or in a group where everybody has money.  But it doesn't make sense to play a normal course and stick a guy with the extra fee unexpectedly.  You should also have the option to play with the pro if you are going to have to pay for him or pass and let him play with somebody else.

post #24 of 35
Thread Starter 

The fact wasn't the $20 or to get posters to argue. And, it has nothing to do with belonging to a CC or who has money or not. I don't mind paying for the assistants anti fee. I assume he's not rolling in the dough as an assistant pro on a local 9 hole course tucked in a suburbia neighborhood. The same as tipping bag persons when they are getting paid by the hour also.

 

The issue is it seems expected. The same as tipping a waitress. That is truly your option based on a service provided. Not a requirement or Protocol as it was handed to me.

post #25 of 35

I once stayed at a Holiday Inn and golfed the next day... so that means you all owe me a free round of golf. I will be collecting now thank you.....

 

I think it ridiculous unless it was set-up on the bylaws. You should have been notified prior to the event and had the choice of selecting a new partner.

post #26 of 35

I am saying that not every golfer is rolling in dough either.

 

If it is a country club, people are already spending large amounts of money from everything to memberships, caddies, food and drinks, pro shop items, etc. ...then it makes sense pare the expense for the Assistant Pro.

 

But if you are playing a money game at a po-dunk cow pasture then it would be a lot to ask for anyone to have to pay double just to play with the Assistant Pro.  Some guys probably make as much or less than the assistant pro might and many seniors don't have much extra money to spare.

 

Long story short, it makes more sense that this would be protocol at a country club than it would be at a regular course....though I'm sure there is a huge middle ground.  I don't know your exact situation so I can't really comment on what I think of it.

post #27 of 35

Respect my ass.  How respectful is it to expect someone to pick up your tab.  I wouldn't have paid it.

 

You can't pay, don't play.  I'm a full time student and have a hard enough time paying my own fees.

 

And this after the round business wouldn't have flown.  You don't know everyone in the match's financial situation and believe it or not, $20 is not an insignificant sum for some people.  As a student with a family, there have been Saturdays I wanted to play and didn't need to spend the money that week, and I play for $16.50 (resident rate).  

 

I'd have refused to pay and if they'd had a problem with it they would have a gotten and vulgar two word comment with the last word being "you".

 

Now that being said it would have been different if it had been known up front.  Then you could decide whether or not you were willing to do it.

post #28 of 35

this isn't that complicated, if he doesn't collect any winnings (which would be protocol at any respectable club) he shouldn't have to pay.

 

if he is participating in the winnings, then he must pay.

 

that said, i don't think a club pro should be playing in any games with its members if money is involved.

post #29 of 35

I see no issue with the pro playing in the game, but I do think it's odd they didn't notify you up front. If they had told you up front that you would pay for him (an invited guest) and you agreed it would be one thing, but they just stuck you with the bill at the end without telling you.

 

As for club pros playing in money games, I don't see too much of an issue as long as he is giving everyone the appropriate number of strokes compared to his scoring average. I don't see why they should be banned from playing just because they are a club pro if they are playing fairly and have an equal chance as everyone else.

post #30 of 35

What should have happened was the organizer should have pulled you aside and told you, "You're paired with the pro.  We typically cover him in this competition.  Are you OK with that?"  That gives you the opportunity to back out and find a new partner.  Hell, what if you didn't have an extra $20?!?  Then you have to drive to the ATM (awkward).

 

Once the round was over, I would have just paid up (it's only $20) and suggested that in the future, the "cover the pro" rule is known to all before everyone tees off.

 

EDIT!  I see Pretzel/Tyler already suggested notifying everyone of the rule. What! is there an echo in here?!?  :dance:
 

post #31 of 35

Tell him to f*ck right off he wants to play he can pay. If his partner makes a deal with him then thats up to them but I think hes got his ego way out of whack! Even if it was Tiger or Phil I'd tell them to pay. If he can't afford $20 to play in something he wants to play in then maybe he should give up the dream of making it on tour and get a job at Mcdonalds so that he can afford an extra $20 lol Kind of sounds like this guy is a dick, but thats just my opinion. 

post #32 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by David in FL View Post

If you win, do you get all the winnings, or does he still get half?

This could be the key right here.  Maybe that's exactly what happens.  Perhaps it's their "custom" - however goofy it seems to the rest of us - that the player fortunate enough to get the pro as a partner has a better shot at winning.  Instead of them allowing the pro to clean up every week, they let him play with the stipulation that doesn't get to win anything, and since he doesn't get to win anything, it seems like it would make sense for the partner with the better chance at winning would cover his $20.

 

Anything else, and it just seems ridiculous to me.

 

P.S.  @Strandly I actually laughed at loud at your response.  :beer:

post #33 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfingdad View Post

This could be the key right here.  Maybe that's exactly what happens.  Perhaps it's their "custom" - however goofy it seems to the rest of us - that the player fortunate enough to get the pro as a partner has a better shot at winning.  Instead of them allowing the pro to clean up every week, they let him play with the stipulation that doesn't get to win anything, and since he doesn't get to win anything, it seems like it would make sense for the partner with the better chance at winning would cover his $20.

Anything else, and it just seems ridiculous to me.

P.S.  @Strandly
 I actually laughed at loud at your response.  c2_beer.gif

If the pro didn't win any of the money, why would he play? I bet he's keeping half (less $20 if playing with me a3_biggrin.gif)
post #34 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlOwen View Post
 

this isn't that complicated, if he doesn't collect any winnings (which would be protocol at any respectable club) he shouldn't have to pay.

 

if he is participating in the winnings, then he must pay.

 

that said, i don't think a club pro should be playing in any games with its members if money is involved.

You hit the nail on the head right there.........

 

I've had 2 private memberships over the years, but played public golf for the past 15.     I've played with both the head pro's and assistants during this time on multiple occasions, but can't remember for sure if we ever gambled.   If we did, it was for pocket change and I promise you........they paid if they lost.  So if he beats me, I have to pay him, but he doesn't pay me if he loses?   LOL......I don't think so!:roll: 

 

If it's a pot game where everybody dumps money into the kitty, I wouldn't mind paying for him providing it's understood that we are a team and he is playing to win his partner the $$. This would be perfectly acceptable.  As a club member....... he is the employee that works for me.   They exist solely to serve the membership and nothing more.     If a club pro asked me to pay for something on his behalf, I'd tell him to jump in the lake. 


Edited by BuckeyeNut - 8/15/14 at 7:16pm
post #35 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyeNut View Post
 

... providing it's understood ....

Pretty much everything can be traced back to this, can't it?  Communication.  OP would've never had a problem if it was explained to him beforehand, because he'd have had a chance to make a choice.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Golf Talk
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Golf Talk › Is This Protocol (Paying a Pro's Fee in a Weekly Game)???????