or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Tour Talk › Rory has no star power
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Rory has no star power - Page 8

post #127 of 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScouseJohnny View Post
 
Quote:
Nick Faldo is the greatest golfer your continent has ever had. That's just sad

 

Hey, lay off Sir Nick. The bloke's a legend. That's my childhood hero you're talking about. I remember being allowed to stay up late on my 13th birthday and watch him trounce Ray Floyd in the Masters' playoff. I'm happy for him to be the greatest golfer from the United Kingdom (I predict there will be howls of outrage from Seve fans if you imply he's the greatest golfer from the European continent of all time).

 

However, I rather suspect that Rory will soon match Faldo's six majors, and at a much younger age than Faldo was when he acquired his last.

 

And, to be fair, I do believe that Rory certainly has more "star" power than Faldo ever had as a player. He does, at least, seem more personable. And it's hard to be star in a Pringle jumper.

I like Faldo as well.  Hopefully Rory will have less wives than Sir Nick!

post #128 of 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crim View Post

People that like to be entertained. 

I like fist pumping, I like interesting interviews, I like anything that turns these guys into golfing super stars.

Rory has these things, and many MANY people give a rats ass about them. 
Agreed, I loved it when he yelled "CoMe on!!" after he wrapped it up on Sun. Great stuff, definitely has cross-over star potential.
post #129 of 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by skydog View Post
 

 

Originally Posted by Elvisliveson View Post
 

Okay, here you go. The post is about Rory having a lack of star power and the general consenus (except for you and maybe one or two others) is prolific winning  bring star power. To this end Zipazoid made a very representative reference to a tubby Jack Nicklaus in his early days coming up against the very charismatic Arnold Palmer and his army and being called Fat Jack etc. In the end Jack became widely popular because of his numerous big victories, not because of how he looked or where he was from. There, doubtless you will still balk, but that's it and I'm done.

 

It's not a great analogy for several reasons, not the least of which, like ccotenj reiterated- is the fact that Jack is American. And time after time for stars in this country, winning fixes everything and we tend to embrance our winners (just like other countries do) even in spite of themselves if they do enough of it. Jack wasn't overly likeable. Rory actually is- but routinely beating up on American stars is not going to do much to help his cause state-side. Especially when you throw in the ever-growing Ryder Cup intensity into the mix.

 

A couple of days late replying to this post, but Rory has one thing going for him if his quest is for popularity on both sides of the Pond - there isn't really an American superstar for him to be seen as "unseating".  Tiger's star seems to be waning due to his physical problems, Phil is well into his mid 40's, when even the best players begin to decline, and nobody else has really stepped up to the plate.  I think that Rory has every chance to be hugely popular, even in the minds of relative homers like myself.  I admit it, I'd love to see an American show me something, but at the moment I just don't see it.  

 

If Rory continues his consistent play, he will be the next superstar to reign over the golfing world, and I'm all for it.  Golf needs that sort of a leader because the game itself is not generally in the public eye like other major professional sports.  I hope that Rory has what it takes to carry the torch.

post #130 of 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunther View Post


Agreed, I loved it when he yelled "CoMe on!!" after he wrapped it up on Sun. Great stuff, definitely has cross-over star potential.

 

Rory's one of the more American facing European's you're likely to get, but we'll see how he develops now. You only sense he's starting to realise the stage he could start to stride and his early acknowledgement of that is one that would indicate that he's comfortable with it (or says he is). He's already proven once (sort of) that the celebrity profile might not suit him, and that he's better off concentrating on golf. I would think off-course distraction will become his bigger enemy. At the moment though his family seem to be pretty well woven into his entourage and that will have a restraining influence. I'm not so certain that Tiger's issues didn't start after his father died

 

In terms of his enduring appeal, I'd say he's personable, he doesn't give the impression of being aloof, and is able to laugh at himself. I think that Robot thing showed him up well to be honest, for if you watch it closely you'll hear what sounds like spontaneous background laughter and observe other reactions to 'Jeffs' goading that would suggest it wasn't scripted, even if the voice is likely to be a stand up comedian with a few pre-prepared lines (or something smiliar)

 

I don't sense he's about to emerge as one of the games great philosophers though, so a Rory interview might not always be the most thought stimulating experience. There is a chance people might tire of it. I suspect they would in  the UK when the media tradition is to build up, and then shoot down, but if Rory continues on this trajectory he'll leave the domestic market well behind. In fact you could probably argue that already has done

post #131 of 192

Well, no comment on the intensity of star power, but here he is acting like one:

 

http://pagesix.com/2014/08/12/rory-mcilroy-parties-with-bros-in-nyc-after-championship/

 

Bodega Negra is a fashionable spot.

 

https://twitter.com/McIlroyRory/status/499114392349208577

 

Ha ha, I need coffee.

 

https://twitter.com/McIlroyRory/status/498869600898265088

 

I don't remember Woods being this open with his apres hour activities. McIlroy seems to be playing social media ok, with a few missteps, but how does one not? But then, McIlroy is a digital native compared to Woods.

post #132 of 192

I disagree. In terms of personality, Rory is the new Gary Player - quiet, thoughful  and friendly.

 

Another point: Improved international air travel helped make PGA golf a truly international sport. So, I'm not sure we have to rely just on Americans to help us grow the game in the USA.

post #133 of 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monte the Bear View Post

See, this is your problem. No-one outside of America knows who Lawrence Taylor is. You guys know because he was a 'World Champion' (this always make me laugh...World Champion of one country - I digress). Jordan changed what in basketball? He won, but he wasn't Larry Bird. He just got marketed at the right time - a talented guy who stayed pretty loyal, was a decent guy, did the right thing. He's probably the biggest star in Nike's sky that has not disgraced himself.

Can we say the same thing about Tiger? Have you noticed how small Tiger Woods is these days since Olympic drug testing came in? Do you think there is any connection between golf introducing drug testing and Tiger taking 6 months off? And how all of these injuries keep happening without the upper core strength he had? How far back he is? Do you think that he left the field of play at Firestone because he was injured? Or was it because he was being humiliated by Bubba and by his inability to cut it?

Because that right there, those questions, are the frame of reference for the TW brand today.

And that is why, worldwide, you will see Rory McIlroy's face. And slowly this is what will become the case in the USA. And you know it. And the idea that McIlroy is a copycat for Tiger is so hilarious, they are so different. I don't think Gerry McIlroy is comparing Rory to Gandhi or calling him the Golden Child, able to change the world.

Besides, Woods had a poster of Nicklaus on his wall as a kid. Go figure.
It's "world champion" because nobody else plays american football as well as americans. It's not even close. What in the **** do you mean he's "not Larry Bird"
Sorry z8_offtopic.gif Mods can delete. Didn't see the other posts. But Monte is ****ing nuts.
post #134 of 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarawayFairways View Post

I don't sense he's about to emerge as one of the games great philosophers though, so a Rory interview might not always be the most thought stimulating experience. There is a chance people might tire of it. I suspect they would in  the UK when the media tradition is to build up, and then shoot down, but if Rory continues on this trajectory he'll leave the domestic market well behind. In fact you could probably argue that already has done
I find Rory's interviews to be very open and refreshing. Not sure what there is to tire of. No one needs athlete-philosophers, tends to get them in trouble.
post #135 of 192

Here's one way that Rory could gain more American fans, he needs to embrace Ireland a bit more. Sorry to all of the UK brethren around here...but American's romanticize Ireland A LOT, far more than the UK. I bet the majority of Americans don't know the difference between the Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland. They just want to drink their green dyed Miller Light on St. Paddy's day and go watch Dropkick Murphy's at the Irish Fair. 

 

Rory choosing Ireland for the Olympics was a huge plus. The average American loves the Irish stereotypes. If Rory was to walk into the Rio opening ceremony with an Irish flag in one hand and a pint of Guinness in the other, many Americans would go insane with admiration.

post #136 of 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crim View Post

Here's one way that Rory could gain more American fans, he needs to embrace Ireland a bit more. Sorry to all of the UK brethren around here...but American's romanticize Ireland A LOT, far more than the UK. I bet the majority of Americans don't know the difference between the Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland. They just want to drink their green dyed Miller Light on St. Paddy's day and go watch Dropkick Murphy's at the Irish Fair. 

Rory choosing Ireland for the Olympics was a huge plus. The average American loves the Irish stereotypes. If Rory was to walk into the Rio opening ceremony with an Irish flag in one hand and a pint of Guinness in the other, many Americans would go insane with admiration.
If Americans don't know the difference between NI & RoI, I'm concerned. I dunno if Rory fits the "jolly irishman" tag. He just kinda chills and does what he does. My love for Paddy would only go up if he did this.
post #137 of 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarawayFairways View Post

 

I don't sense he's about to emerge as one of the games great philosophers though, so a Rory interview might not always be the most thought stimulating experience. There is a chance people might tire of it. I suspect they would in  the UK when the media tradition is to build up, and then shoot down, but if Rory continues on this trajectory he'll leave the domestic market well behind. In fact you could probably argue that already has done

What I love about his interviews is that he's usually very candid. He's off the cuff, I think it was the US Open where the media asked him if he thought there were any players that didn't have a shot in hell at winning...Rory could have easily just said yes but instead he started rattling off names and the media/interview team bursted out laughing. Than he laughed and apologized to the players he named. 

 

Then after winning the Open Championship he announced that he's more of Manchester United fan in front of the Liverpool crowd....who does that!?!? I thought that was amazing and makes you realize that he could say anything at any moment.

post #138 of 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJH999 View Post


If Americans don't know the difference between NI & RoI, I'm concerned. 

Be concerned.

 

If you want, ask random people off the street and you'll realize that not only will they look at you strangely...but frankly they won't care in the least. Ireland is just Ireland to the average American. A place that's green and has a ton of pubs. 

post #139 of 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crim View Post

What I love about his interviews is that he's usually very candid. He's off the cuff, I think it was the US Open where the media asked him if he thought there were any players that didn't have a shot in hell at winning...Rory could have easily just said yes but instead he started rattling off names and the media/interview team bursted out laughing. Than he laughed and apologized to the players he named. 

Then after winning the Open Championship he announced that he's more of Manchester United fan in front of the Liverpool crowd....who does that!?!? I thought that was amazing and makes you realize that he could say anything at any moment.
The only problem here is that he hopped on the Man U bandwagon. b2_tongue.gif
You would be AMAZED about the number of Americans would Manchester ties. Huge Man U fan bro!
post #140 of 192
Quote:

The only problem here is that he hopped on the Man U bandwagon

 

 

 

A wagon that was missing a wheel or two last season.

post #141 of 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScouseJohnny View Post

A wagon that was missing a wheel or two last season.
OT but....c3_clap.gifc3_clap.gifc5_banana.gifc5_banana.gif Suck it Moyes!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crim View Post

Be concerned.

If you want, ask random people off the street and you'll realize that not only will they look at you strangely...but frankly they won't care in the least. Ireland is just Ireland to the average American. A place that's green and has a ton of pubs. 
You know, I know people who don't understand the difference between Korea, China, and Japan. I am very concerned.
post #142 of 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJH999 View Post


The only problem here is that he hopped on the Man U bandwagon. b2_tongue.gif
You would be AMAZED about the number of Americans would Manchester ties. Huge Man U fan bro!

You'd also be amazed at the number of Americans that can't name one soccer team. Not one. 

post #143 of 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJH999 View Post

If Americans don't know the difference between NI & RoI, I'm concerned. I dunno if Rory fits the "jolly irishman" tag. He just kinda chills and does what he does. My love for Paddy would only go up if he did this.

Why?
post #144 of 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crim View Post

You'd also be amazed at the number of Americans that can't name one soccer team. Not one. 

US men's national team. Boom.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Tour Talk
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Tour Talk › Rory has no star power