or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Tour Talk › Rory has no star power
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Rory has no star power - Page 10

post #163 of 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourputt View Post
 

 

Who cares?  We're supposed to be talking golf here.  :doh: 

Once again, you came in mid-discussion. 

 

I was talking about Rory stating he was a Man U fan in front of a Liverpool crowd and we got slightly off-topic. 

 

I apologize to all you out there who have never gone off-topic, you overachievers. 

post #164 of 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourputt View Post

Who cares?  We're supposed to be talking golf here.  :doh: 

To get back on topic, I seriously don't think too many American golf fans today care about the golfer's nationality or race. I personally really like Rory and I think he's amazing to watch. I don't care if he's Scottish, Irish, Venezuelan, whatever. He's a hell of a golfer and he's very well-spoken in his interviews. All around likable with no bs or Bubba-esque traits that I typically find very annoying (crying, whining, bitching, blaming, etc.). He's got plenty of star power here in the United States and he's going to be a household name for a very long time. His popularity is still growing also. Let him win the Masters and then you'll really see what happens with his name when he's touring the US doing every late night and morning show, ESPN commercials, etc.

The comparison to Tiger is not fair at all, plain and simple. Rory is not treading on any racial barriers or controversy. Race played a very obvious and large role in Tiger's fame, we all know that. Pair race with Tiger's dominance of the game for such a long and astounding period of time and you have a winning formula for a superstar. However, Rory will keep getting bigger and bigger here in the US and all around the world if he keeps on winning.

post #165 of 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJH999 View Post

Don't they teach about it in High School?

As a core subject? I doubt it. Maybe in a European history class.

But Fourputt's right, we're OT here....
post #166 of 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by David in FL View Post


As a core subject? I doubt it. Maybe in a European history class.

I don't remember ever discussing it at all. In fact the only reason I have a basic knowledge of it is because of the book "A Course Called Ireland." Tom Coyne goes through the history in a couple different chapters. 

post #167 of 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by David in FL View Post

As a core subject? I doubt it. Maybe in a European history class.

But Fourputt's right, we're OT here....
I think I read too many books. z8_offtopic.gif...so how bout that Rory McIlroy?
post #168 of 192
He has a lot of star power. A good humble kid from n Ireland. World star and still does good for golf like helping teach kids. Reminds me of a guy like Kevin durant. People think they aren't fierce enough to puss the envelope and run the game.
post #169 of 192

Honestly.  It is like we all have ADD when trying to stick to the subject.

 

 

As for Rory, he has the personality, ability and looks to become quite a star.  I just hope the media and paparazzi don't chase him down the way they usually do.

post #170 of 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevets88 View Post

Off the top of my head

Man U, Man City, Liverpool, Chelsea, Barcelona, Real Madrid, Everton, Bayern Munich, Intermilan, LA Galaxy, NY Red Bulls, Chicago Fire, Seattle Sounders, Portland Timbers, DC United, Tottenham Spurs, Athletico Madrid, PSG - Paris Saint Germain, ....
FC Dallas
post #171 of 192
I think McIlroy has shown a personality that has star potential. He wasn't embarrassed to take to the tennis court and play a couple of points against his then gf, despite his awful tennis skills. It's more an aw shucks aura than the destiny aura that Woods emanates. It doesn't show on the course, in commercials but more in everyday situations. In press conferences he's willing to share more info than Woods did as well.
post #172 of 192

Rory seems like a regular guy, very likable,  and someone I feel that I'd enjoy playing golf with.  Much as I respect Tiger for his accomplishments, I could never say that about him.  Tiger always seems too wrapped up in himself.  It's in part for that reason that I feel that Rory's potential for star power could actually be a bit higher than Tiger's other than the obvious racial draw that Tiger has.  

 

Rory will undoubtedly have a bigger fan base outside of the US, and his base is growing rapidly here.  For me, his difficulties in 2013 showed that he's just a guy who can struggle like the rest of us, and his success this year shows that he has the toughness to work through it, whether it's caused by issues with his game or with his personal life (or a mix).  It made him more likable to me because it gives him a side that I can identify with, at least in a small way.  

 

I would like nothing better than to see him really take off now, to set a high mark for anyone trying to chase him, while still continuing to be the likable Irish lad that he is (and yes, I know it's Northern Ireland).

post #173 of 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourputt View Post

Rory seems like a regular guy, very likable,  and someone I feel that I'd enjoy playing golf with.  Much as I respect Tiger for his accomplishments, I could never say that about him.  Tiger always seems too wrapped up in himself.  It's in part for that reason that I feel that Rory's potential for star power could actually be a bit higher than Tiger's other than the obvious racial draw that Tiger has.  

Rory will undoubtedly have a bigger fan base outside of the US, and his base is growing rapidly here.  For me, his difficulties in 2013 showed that he's just a guy who can struggle like the rest of us, and his success this year shows that he has the toughness to work through it, whether it's caused by issues with his game or with his personal life (or a mix).  It made him more likable to me because it gives him a side that I can identify with, at least in a small way.  

I would like nothing better than to see him really take off now, to set a high mark for anyone trying to chase him, while still continuing to be the likable Irish lad that he is (and yes, I know it's Northern Ireland).
You wouldn't enjoy playing golf with Tiger?!!! I know he's a bit of an ass, but shit he is Tiger! I'd love to play one on one with MJ & watch him relentlessly destroy me and bully me. a3_biggrin.gif
post #174 of 192

Look baby, I'm a star!

 

post #175 of 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJH999 View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourputt View Post

Rory seems like a regular guy, very likable,  and someone I feel that I'd enjoy playing golf with.  Much as I respect Tiger for his accomplishments, I could never say that about him.  Tiger always seems too wrapped up in himself.  It's in part for that reason that I feel that Rory's potential for star power could actually be a bit higher than Tiger's other than the obvious racial draw that Tiger has.  

Rory will undoubtedly have a bigger fan base outside of the US, and his base is growing rapidly here.  For me, his difficulties in 2013 showed that he's just a guy who can struggle like the rest of us, and his success this year shows that he has the toughness to work through it, whether it's caused by issues with his game or with his personal life (or a mix).  It made him more likable to me because it gives him a side that I can identify with, at least in a small way.  

I would like nothing better than to see him really take off now, to set a high mark for anyone trying to chase him, while still continuing to be the likable Irish lad that he is (and yes, I know it's Northern Ireland).
You wouldn't enjoy playing golf with Tiger?!!! I know he's a bit of an ass, but shit he is Tiger! I'd love to play one on one with MJ & watch him relentlessly destroy me and bully me. a3_biggrin.gif

 

I can only think of one reason to play golf with Tiger, and that's so I could brag about it for the rest of my life.  I think that I'd enjoy a round with Rory a lot more.  I just don't see Tiger as a pleasant playing companion, and the social aspect is a lot of what I play for.

post #176 of 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourputt View Post

I can only think of one reason to play golf with Tiger, and that's so I could brag about it for the rest of my life.  I think that I'd enjoy a round with Rory a lot more.  I just don't see Tiger as a pleasant playing companion, and the social aspect is a lot of what I play for.
I feel like playing with someone like Jerry Kelly or Rickie Fowler would be great. And yeah, @boogielicious we have some serious ADD.
post #177 of 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by WUTiger View Post
 

I disagree. In terms of personality, Rory is the new Gary Player - quiet, thoughful  and friendly.

 

Another point: Improved international air travel helped make PGA golf a truly international sport. So, I'm not sure we have to rely just on Americans to help us grow the game in the USA.


Interesting post. Gary is certainly friendly but as far as thoughtful and quiet, I disagree. He's a good guy but he is 100% about promoting Gary Player and has the ego to do it. He is far from a humble man.

post #178 of 192

Both Rory and Tiger will be on Fallon on Monday night - who knows what for, but will be interesting!

post #179 of 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kieran123 View Post

Both Rory and Tiger will be on Fallon on Monday night - who knows what for, but will be interesting!

Fallon's gonna make them compete at something I bet. Duh. Letterman once made Steffi Graf serve to hit a triangle of bottles. Hope it's not that bad.
post #180 of 192

Well as long as it doesn't involve a straight driving competition the audeince will be safe from Tiger

 

I'm inclined to say that since they're both signed to Nike, they probably are competing for something. Interesting to see how the normally personable Rory compares against cold Tiger. If Rory goes through the Irish gears seamlessly he could look like the refreshing new face. Tiger's often detached and humourless personna could look very old-fashioned very quickly.

 

Expect RC banter though. Having said that, Tiger might feel more comfortable yet and loosen up a bit

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Tour Talk
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Tour Talk › Rory has no star power