or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Tour Talk › American x European courses
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

American x European courses

post #1 of 8
Thread Starter 
Lots of chat on the American and European golfers but possibly in ignorance I wondered if the difference is down to the nature of home courses individuals are reared on
In Britain for instance all coastal courses demand shot making of a most variable skills whilst from viewing American courses (on TV) it is far more similar to long rang pitch and putt with greens hugely more receptive

It is also apparent that when Americans spend time touring Europe they tend to end up being more successful

Some obvious supposition in my thoughts having never played a selection of American courses but feelings gain.ed from TV viewing
post #2 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by pabird View Post

Lots of chat on the American and European golfers but possibly in ignorance I wondered if the difference is down to the nature of home courses individuals are reared on
In Britain for instance all coastal courses demand shot making of a most variable skills whilst from viewing American courses (on TV) it is far more similar to long rang pitch and putt with greens hugely more receptive

It is also apparent that when Americans spend time touring Europe they tend to end up being more successful

Some obvious supposition in my thoughts having never played a selection of American courses but feelings gain.ed from TV viewing

I have never played European courses but I would like to.  I think the courses are just different. They both require shot making, but of a different kind.  The links courses you reference tend to have wind but also allow lots of roll out.  The parkland type courses in the US present different challenges that sometime require high shots that need all carry.  Examples are the 18th at St. Andrews vs. the 18th at Oak Hill last year.    

 

I am glad they are different because variety really makes it more fun.

post #3 of 8

The most successful American on the European Tour has been Peter Uihlein who was great in 2013 but is playing like a dog now. Brooks Koepka has been playing in Europe a lot and developed. With the web.com tour, many players hang out there now hoping to gain auto admission to the Big Show.

 

Shame, because the European Tour definitely grows a player - you have so much more to deal with. 

 

As for courses, depends on where you go, as ever. There are an equal number of crap courses in Europe than there are good and it's the same in the US.

post #4 of 8

I always have the feeling that when the weather gets bad, European players will play better then the American players on average. Don't know if there are actual statistics about that, but it seems Europeans are much more used to play in bad weather circumstances. Is that true?

post #5 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent View Post
 

I always have the feeling that when the weather gets bad, European players will play better then the American players on average. Don't know if there are actual statistics about that, but it seems Europeans are much more used to play in bad weather circumstances. Is that true?

I think it is more like, "When the weather gets bad, great players play better."  We have bad weather in the US too.  

post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by boogielicious View Post
 

I think it is more like, "When the weather gets bad, great players play better."  We have bad weather in the US too.  

 

Ofcourse, USA is quite big so am sure there's a lot of bad weather ;-) But if I look at the perfect courses where a lot of the tournaments are played, and I look at the European Tour it seems to me I defenitely see a difference. On average that is. But maybe it's just in my head. 

post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by boogielicious View Post
 

I think it is more like, "When the weather gets bad, great players play better."  We have bad weather in the US too.  

 

Ofcourse, USA is quite big so am sure there's a lot of bad weather ;-) But if I look at the perfect courses where a lot of the tournaments are played, and I look at the European Tour it seems to me I defenitely see a difference. On average that is. But maybe it's just in my head. 

If you are talking about wind as "bad weather", certainly the links course have that in the UK.  But there are other types of bad weather.  A recent Champions Tour major was played in 40C temperatures with high humidity.  Players were passing out.  East and West coast US courses certainly have wind and rain.  How about mosquitoes?  Not all US courses are perfect parkland either.  US Open this year is a good example.

 

The fact that many Open Championships and European Tour events have been won by US players from mild climates indicates that it is not an overwhelming challenge.  I still say that great players play great in any weather.  I think you are perceiving a difference that in not there.

post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by boogielicious View Post
 

If you are talking about wind as "bad weather", certainly the links course have that in the UK.  But there are other types of bad weather.  A recent Champions Tour major was played in 40C temperatures with high humidity.  Players were passing out.  East and West coast US courses certainly have wind and rain.  How about mosquitoes?  Not all US courses are perfect parkland either.  US Open this year is a good example.

 

The fact that many Open Championships and European Tour events have been won by US players from mild climates indicates that it is not an overwhelming challenge.  I still say that great players play great in any weather.  I think you are perceiving a difference that in not there.

 

I guess you're right. To handle certain circumstances and to adept to them, you need to have certain qualities. You forgot to mention the alligators on certain courses btw ;-)

 

Btw, earlier this year on the European Tour this happenend:

 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Tour Talk
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Tour Talk › American x European courses