or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Golf Talk › TaylorMade cuts 15% of it's Workforce and closes Adams Golf Headquarters in Plano
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

TaylorMade cuts 15% of it's Workforce and closes Adams Golf Headquarters in Plano - Page 3

post #37 of 42
Now they killed off they killed off the Lethals.
post #38 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownCoast View Post
 

I wish they just stuck with the tour preferred name for tour level balls. I know they went back to it this year maybe it will stick this time around. As for the LDP, they continue to keep that. So we know they know how to reuse a name and stick with it lol. If they want to change something every year, change the box they come in. As for their premium and distance balls, well they've used burner a few times so stick with that and as for premium just find something and stick with it. But thats just me. I would prefer a one name line up like titleist has pro v nxt velocity and dt solo, bridgestone has their b series, e series and the fix. Names we can continue to follow. even when they do change things about the ball they keep it in the same lineup so that consumers know what they like and will continue to buy based on the name. I believe titleist upgrades their ball they just keep the name that so many know.

I think TM and Callaway try to cross promote their golf balls with their clubs where as Titlist doesn't.  Pro V1 / V1X has no relationship to any of their golf clubs, their approach is their golf balls have stood the test of time and work great with any club.  I'd like to see Callaway and TM follow suit with their Tour products, when you constantly change the name you basically send the message that the last box of $45 golf balls wasn't as good as the new box sitting on the shelf.  The market has proven people will continue to buy a product with the same name, year after year if it has a proven track record. 

 

The constant name changing means to me they still haven't developed a ball that can compete with the Pro V and are trying to use new product names and marketing to leverage sales.

post #39 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownCoast View Post
I don't often comment on ping or mizuno cause I never hit them but ping does catch my eye and seems like they have a lot of options from drivers right down to putters for all levels. That is the next set I'd like to try. And Ping has a fantastic website with lots of info. For a company I've never tried I can say I'm a big fan!

 

In Dick's I was able to try a bunch of putters, and the best one I tried was the PING Karston TR PAL. It not only looks great, but it's a solid feeling putter with a great grip. It doesn't feel bulky, but you feel like you have weight in the head. It's the only PING thing I own, but it's very nice. Maybe try a putter at the very least. ay33660 mentioned their drivers being good - and from what I have seen, they do seem to provide a good return on investment. They look nice too.

post #40 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtogolf View Post
 

I think TM and Callaway try to cross promote their golf balls with their clubs where as Titlist doesn't.  Pro V1 / V1X has no relationship to any of their golf clubs, their approach is their golf balls have stood the test of time and work great with any club.  I'd like to see Callaway and TM follow suit with their Tour products, when you constantly change the name you basically send the message that the last box of $45 golf balls wasn't as good as the new box sitting on the shelf.  The market has proven people will continue to buy a product with the same name, year after year if it has a proven track record. 

 

The constant name changing means to me they still haven't developed a ball that can compete with the Pro V and are trying to use new product names and marketing to leverage sales.

I heard the lethal was just as good as the pro v series and the new tp balls are pretty much the same but when it comes to golf balls people like to say "I play pro v" or "B330" not switch it up every year. Clubs we buy once and generally hold onto them for multiple years. Golfballs we are always replacing cause they get shredded or lost or like to go swimming lol. So its easier to always look for the same name instead of finding the new premium brand and wondering what did they change? Will it perform like the old one? I'm sure they made changes to the pro v balls, at least I would hope they did. But people know its probably minor and the ball will have the same feel as they are used to.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottcarmichael View Post
 

 

In Dick's I was able to try a bunch of putters, and the best one I tried was the PING Karston TR PAL. It not only looks great, but it's a solid feeling putter with a great grip. It doesn't feel bulky, but you feel like you have weight in the head. It's the only PING thing I own, but it's very nice. Maybe try a putter at the very least. ay33660 mentioned their drivers being good - and from what I have seen, they do seem to provide a good return on investment. They look nice too.

I tried the Ping Piper C and really like that putter. I probably wont replace anything this year but I hope to in the off season. although I do like the stage 2 tour irons and the sldr irons look nice but I'm sure next season TM will release the "new must have" clubs. I did check out the i25 irons and like the overall specs. just have to hit a few 

post #41 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottcarmichael View Post
 

Reading online just a bit will hint that PING goes after places that use discounts they don't like far more harshly than others do. http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/145962-why-no-pings-at-dicks-sporting-good-stores/page__st__30 ....

I've  talked to lots of golf shop managers through the years - both private owners and chain supervisors. Consensus is that Ping is the most difficult golf OEM to deal with.

 

Ping had a big enforcement push circa 2007. Two local shops got put on probation for pricing violations, and simply dumped Ping when the probation ended. 

 

In Ping's defense, they make excellent clubs, and for a set of new irons often come in at $100 less than TM and Callaway.

post #42 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by WUTiger View Post

 

In Ping's defense, they make excellent clubs, and for a set of new irons often come in at $100 less than TM and Callaway.

 

Hmm...back in August when shopping for a new Iron set, I was able to find a legit set of TaylorMade Speed Blades from a TM authorized eBay seller, and when you factor in no tax + free S&H and the already lower price...I saved close to $300 compared to what a similar set of PING Irons would have been.

 

That said, I do have a PING putter, which I really like, and is worth the cost.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Golf Talk
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Golf Talk › TaylorMade cuts 15% of it's Workforce and closes Adams Golf Headquarters in Plano