or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Pro Shop › Balls, Carts/Bags, Apparel, Gear, Etc. › TST Investigates GAME Golf
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

TST Investigates GAME Golf - Page 2

post #19 of 397

Looking forward to your write ups and results.

post #20 of 397

Hopefully GG worked out the bugs being reported earlier. People had problems with the shot tracking and apparently editing was an issue as well. I have been looking at GG since I first saw the commercials months ago. More or less I do what it does but with less data. I evaluate my rounds as I input stats recalling what was good and bad. I've been keeping it to two courses for about a month now to see if I could establish patterns based on my misses and stock shot shapes to see if better strategy would help me on certain holes. I still think GG would be a big help, thinking it and seeing it shot by shot are different. Problem is I still have to hit the ball so doesn't always work out.

post #21 of 397

Saw Jim Furyk wearing this on TV. I believe it was during the PGA practice rounds.

post #22 of 397
I was talking to the sales guy at Golf Smith tonight. He said they've sold 2 and and they were both returned.
post #23 of 397
Thread Starter 

Game has performed well so far.

 

Today we charted an 18-hole round at Lawrence Park CC.

 

Mike plugged his in though and got a geofencing error, and his round was "deleted." According to the support forum, the round was probably uploaded, but they have to look at it to "fix" it so it shows up.

 

I'm hesitant to plug mine in too for fear of getting the same geofencing error.

 

But, in the nine-hole round, it worked pretty darn well. Took only 30 seconds or so to edit each hole, too. Mostly involved moving some putts around.

post #24 of 397
Quote:
Originally Posted by iacas View Post
 

Game has performed well so far.

 

Today we charted an 18-hole round at Lawrence Park CC.

 

Mike plugged his in though and got a geofencing error, and his round was "deleted." According to the support forum, the round was probably uploaded, but they have to look at it to "fix" it so it shows up.

 

I'm hesitant to plug mine in too for fear of getting the same geofencing error.

 

But, in the nine-hole round, it worked pretty darn well. Took only 30 seconds or so to edit each hole, too. Mostly involved moving some putts around.

 

I emailed Game Golf and I'm sure they'll be able to figure out this issue.

 

Uploading and editing the nine holes we played on Thursday was really easy and the graphics look cool. Liking it so far.

post #25 of 397
How is the speed of connection to the satellites? I have heard that the GPS connection is difficult at times.
post #26 of 397
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valleygolfer View Post

How is the speed of connection to the satellites? I have heard that the GPS connection is difficult at times.


I turn it on a few minutes before I start playing. It connects by then and seems to work the whole time. Beyond that… I don't know what you mean. Could you clarify?

post #27 of 397
Quote:
Originally Posted by iacas View Post
 


I turn it on a few minutes before I start playing. It connects by then and seems to work the whole time. Beyond that… I don't know what you mean. Could you clarify?

There were some issues with other testers with accuracy and connection of the gps, as well as it's ability to find some courses. I am not clear on how it works. Do you have to preload a course or is it just like most devices where it accesses the internet?

post #28 of 397

Looking at their site it appears all the local courses here are mapped. I assume once you get connectivity the device uses coordinates to determine which course you are at like every other GPS device. I think some of the earlier issues concerning not being able to "find" courses was due to GG not having gone out and mapped them. When it first launched there were no courses available in CO, everything was on the coasts.

post #29 of 397

Very reasonable price point too. Looking forward to the reviews. I wonder if they'd like to get some member reviews...:whistle:

post #30 of 397
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valleygolfer View Post
 

I am not clear on how it works. Do you have to preload a course or is it just like most devices where it accesses the internet?

 

You show up and turn it on. Within a few minutes it figures out what course you're on, and it tags your shots as occurring at the locations where you tag them.

post #31 of 397

This is a cool idea.  I wonder how you are able to track the stats and how they go about getting them to you

post #32 of 397

I just got one as a gift, and tried it out for the first time this past weekend.  I wore a GPS watch to compare the yardages on drives etc to the yardage the watch calculated and they were spot on. Overall I'm very impressed so far.

 

BustinRuston

post #33 of 397
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest Jones View Post
 

Very reasonable price point too. Looking forward to the reviews. I wonder if they'd like to get some member reviews...:whistle:

You think so? I mean, money's subjective, but I think that the $250 I see it selling for seems way too high. I got my Garmin GPS rangefinder for under $150. If this could at least give you distances live, like with an accompanying phone app, I could see the value better. And that separation would hopefully keep it compliant with USGA regulations on DMDs. Don't get me wrong; I think the product is super intriguing, but it seems like it's ripe for a price drop in subsequent generations.

post #34 of 397
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkolo View Post

You think so? I mean, money's subjective, but I think that the $250 I see it selling for seems way too high. I got my Garmin GPS rangefinder for under $150. If this could at least give you distances live, like with an accompanying phone app, I could see the value better. And that separation would hopefully keep it compliant with USGA regulations on DMDs. Don't get me wrong; I think the product is super intriguing, but it seems like it's ripe for a price drop in subsequent generations.

Apples and oranges. This tracks every club by club.
post #35 of 397
Quote:
Originally Posted by inthecup View Post


Apples and oranges. This tracks every club by club.

 

 

I guess the cheap version would be if someone was able to create a cell phone app that allowed you to pick a club, then push a button to start the tracking and push a button to end the tracking. That way you would get the similar data. I don't think it would be too hard to develop. There are half a dozen GPS apps that allow you to mark locations. 

post #36 of 397
Quote:
Originally Posted by inthecup View Post


Apples and oranges. This tracks every club by club.

It's not apples to oranges. Most newer GPS range finders allow you to do that. This device's goal is to streamline that process and make it easier, but that's all it does, fundamentally, while the range finders have it as a value-add.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Pro Shop › Balls, Carts/Bags, Apparel, Gear, Etc. › TST Investigates GAME Golf