or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Pro Shop › Balls, Carts/Bags, Apparel, Gear, Etc. › TST Investigates GAME Golf
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

TST Investigates GAME Golf - Page 3

post #37 of 434
Quote:
Originally Posted by saevel25 View Post
 

 

 

I guess the cheap version would be if someone was able to create a cell phone app that allowed you to pick a club, then push a button to start the tracking and push a button to end the tracking. That way you would get the similar data. I don't think it would be too hard to develop. There are half a dozen GPS apps that allow you to mark locations. 

Spot on. I believe that some of the phone based GPSes do in fact offer something like that, though I've never used them because I have a standalone unit.

 

I don't want to come off as arguing against the device. This device seems to fulfill its stated goal elegantly, and I think it's interesting and moves the state of the art forward. My only point was that it seems like a relatively high price point for that convenience, particularly when it doesn't obviate the need for also still carrying a range finder.

post #38 of 434
If $250 is too high, then, what would be the price you would market it at ...

While I thought is priced "OK" ... it a purchase I would ponder first ...

(Just curious)

I would not be interested in a phone app I had to select club, etc ... Just too much extra crap to do, when I really just want to select a club and hit ... And device seems to allow that ...

Ready to ready the reviews on here soon!
post #39 of 434
I
Quote:
Originally Posted by isukgolf View Post

If $250 is too high, then, what would be the price you would market it at ...

While I thought is priced "OK" ... it a purchase I would ponder first ...

(Just curious)

I would not be interested in a phone app I had to select club, etc ... Just too much extra crap to do, when I really just want to select a club and hit ... And device seems to allow that ...

Ready to ready the reviews on here soon!

One thought would be to charge $100-125 and an annual fee of $40-50.
post #40 of 434
Quote:
Originally Posted by saevel25 View Post


I guess the cheap version would be if someone was able to create a cell phone app that allowed you to pick a club, then push a button to start the tracking and push a button to end the tracking. That way you would get the similar data. I don't think it would be too hard to develop. There are half a dozen GPS apps that allow you to mark locations. 

That already exist. I know the golflogix app does that for you with a paid membership of like $20 a year. Not sure of the accuracy though. Probably others available as well.

I will agree $250 is prett high. You can buy a top of the line scope for $300, get exact yardage to pin or any point including your ball on drives and if you have any game, and pay attention, you should be able to hone in your yardage pretty easy.
post #41 of 434

I am a Game Golf user and have to say it is definitely worth the money. Since there launch, they are continuously releasing new features with have allowed me to dig much deeper in my own game and understand what my tendencies are on the course. Before this, I used to manually enter every shot into my phone and it took far too long to do. game golf is very easy to use and I play in a weekly Sunday league with my friends and I went from being the only one in our group using the system and now 12 of us are using it and comparing scores every week. I combine the system with my Garmin and they compliment each other perfectly. While on the course I can take out the game golf app and view my rounds from the previous weeks to help with course management and ensure that I don't hit those wayward shots all the time. The new Shot Analysis tool is superb as well. It tells me where I'm hitting the balls on average and allows me to dig deeper into each my club stats. Have any of you seen the new Challenges feature on the system. It means we will have a place to host our Sunday league and set weekly Challenges against each other. We could even have our own Sand Trap group...

post #42 of 434
Quote:
Originally Posted by saevel25 View Post


I guess the cheap version would be if someone was able to create a cell phone app that allowed you to pick a club, then push a button to start the tracking and push a button to end the tracking. That way you would get the similar data. I don't think it would be too hard to develop. There are half a dozen GPS apps that allow you to mark locations. 
Golf shot can track your clubs as well but it is not as simple working as game golf looks.
post #43 of 434
Quote:
Originally Posted by isukgolf View Post

If $250 is too high, then, what would be the price you would market it at ...

While I thought is priced "OK" ... it a purchase I would ponder first ...

(Just curious)

I would not be interested in a phone app I had to select club, etc ... Just too much extra crap to do, when I really just want to select a club and hit ... And device seems to allow that ...

Ready to ready the reviews on here soon!

I don't know what their beak-even point is, so I couldn't tell them what they should market it at, but from a general marketing standpoint, I think $100 is a number that would get people to dive in more readily, both as a purchase for themselves and in the golf gift category. They seem like they're trying to position themselves as a luxury brand with accompanying luxury pricing, though. I don't know if they have the brand equity to pull it off out of the gate. I'd love for this type of product to succeed. 

 

I think the trend, generally, is towards wearables that integrate varied technologies and connect with existing devices. Like the new Garmin GPS watches that connect via bluetooth to your phone to push messages to your watch so you don't need to keep your phone on you. This goes the other way, so now I'd have the sensor on my belt, in addition to having my GPS and phone on me. I'd be surprised if they didn't push towards some better integration in their next iteration. This is a first generation product, and I don't want to be too negative with that in mind. 

post #44 of 434
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvmac View Post
 

 

I emailed Game Golf and I'm sure they'll be able to figure out this issue.

 

Uploading and editing the nine holes we played on Thursday was really easy and the graphics look cool. Liking it so far.

 

They got back to me today

 

Quote:
 I have sent a note to the mapping team to recover the round for you right away. Thank you in advance for your patience while it is uploaded to your profile. Have a great rest of your day!

 

Still waiting on to see that round on my account but had no issues uploading and editing the round today at Little Mountain. 

post #45 of 434
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valleygolfer View Post

Golf shot can track your clubs as well but it is not as simple working as game golf looks.
which is exactly why I'm so interested. Golfshot is nice but it really knocks my focus off so I've decided to quit using the club tracker.
post #46 of 434
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvmac View Post
 

 

Still waiting on to see that round on my account but had no issues uploading and editing the round today at Little Mountain. 

 

Was able to edit and sign for the round today except they had the flag in the middle of the green on every hole. @iacas had the same issue and when we tried to move the flag we got an error message. No problem editing the other stuff.

post #47 of 434
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valleygolfer View Post


Golf shot can track your clubs as well but it is not as simple working as game golf looks.

 

That's what intrigues me about this.  I've tried apps that do this but its too much button pushing during the round.  


At $100 I would have bought it as soon as I heard about it.  At $150, I probably would have bought it as long as someone said it usually worked.  But $250 makes me want to wait and see and only get it if I think its going to work flawlessly and provide a lot of benefit to my game.

post #48 of 434
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvmac View Post
 

 

Was able to edit and sign for the round today except they had the flag in the middle of the green on every hole. @iacas had the same issue and when we tried to move the flag we got an error message. No problem editing the other stuff.


I wonder if that is a course specific problem or a generic bug. Sounds like they have some issues to work out.

post #49 of 434
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvmac View Post
 

 

Was able to edit and sign for the round today except they had the flag in the middle of the green on every hole. @iacas had the same issue and when we tried to move the flag we got an error message. No problem editing the other stuff.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlSpackler View Post
 


I wonder if that is a course specific problem or a generic bug. Sounds like they have some issues to work out.

That was one of the issues that @iacas and I were wondering about before you guys got yours.  If you tap the thing with each club PRIOR to each shot, how could it ever know where the hole is?  You tap it before you hit your last putt, then again with your driver on the next tee.  Unless you guys were also supposed to give it an extra tap at the hole?  Or a double tap or something?

 

This is one of the many things that I want to try and learn before I take the plunge.

post #50 of 434
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfingdad View Post


That was one of the issues that @iacas
 and I were wondering about before you guys got yours.  If you tap the thing with each club PRIOR to each shot, how could it ever know where the hole is?  You tap it before you hit your last putt, then again with your driver on the next tee.  Unless you guys were also supposed to give it an extra tap at the hole?  Or a double tap or something?

In my other two rounds it hasn't been a problem. I move the flag around after the round. When you two putt it assumes the hole is near your second putt.
post #51 of 434

I am excited to hear what you have to say about it after you have used it for a while.

 

Game Golf seems to be open to feedback about their product. I read just the other day that they have been talking with Mark Broadie about the stats and analysis aspects of the software (http://www.golfwrx.com/235721/review-game-golf/).

 

Steven

post #52 of 434
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkolo View Post
 

It's not apples to oranges. Most newer GPS range finders allow you to do that. This device's goal is to streamline that process and make it easier, but that's all it does, fundamentally, while the range finders have it as a value-add.

It is apples to oranges.

Yes. is streamlines a small part of the process.  It tells you your 7 iron went x distance and where it landed, long, short, right, left how far off the green and summarizes it......, GPS currently does not do that.

 

I believe Erik and Mike are looking at it as a tool to make decisions.  My short iron miss is short and left.  I miss short and left x% of the time.  With that information you can make intelligent scoring decisions on the course.

 

 It also summarizes the data into a usable form.  In my opinion if you fiddled with your GPS to every shot to enter what club you had it would be the last time we played together.

There is great value to someone who is looking for this information.  You derive this value off the course and implement it over time as you play.

 

In my opinion there is value there.

 

I am interested to hear their conclusions.  From everything I have read this is a work in progress so what they find will likely change over time.

post #53 of 434
Quote:
Originally Posted by iacas View Post


When you two putt it assumes the hole is near your second putt.

:-P

post #54 of 434
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest Jones View Post
 

:-P

LOL.  Reminds me of a sticker I had on an old school binder that said "Apathetic State University" with a school motto of "Don't Know, Don't Care." :beer:

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Pro Shop › Balls, Carts/Bags, Apparel, Gear, Etc. › TST Investigates GAME Golf