or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The 19th Hole › The Grill Room › Going forward I am starting a shame file. That's me personally.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Going forward I am starting a shame file. That's me personally. - Page 5

post #73 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty View Post

 

Oh, I almost forgot. You no longer contact or call people, you "reach out" to them. :cry: 

 

Oh man, all the buzzy versions of simply saying you called or emailed someone bug me too.  Perhaps just because I've got lots of professional (and family) contacts in the tech world, but the one I can't stand is "ping".  Yes, people really use that.  "Sounds good. Ping me."  "Oh, you should ping John."  Seriously.

 

I guess the users of these would defend them as umbrella terms covering talking in person, on the phone, emailing, texting, IMing, whatever.  But they just sound annoying and buzzy to me.  I could see getting sucked into using "connect" as a catch-all buzz word if it were in heavy use at my place of work.  But shoot me the day I use "ping" to mean anything other than using the ping utility in *nix.

post #74 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch View Post
 

It is my understanding that we all strive to leverage our individual competencies in the linguistic arena to add value to the discussions here at the Sand Trap. It this organic, bottom-up approach from all of our valued contributors that makes the site so much more than just the sum of its parts and, ultimately, allows it to literally take flight. 

 

+1 for that!

post #75 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdl View Post
 

 

+1 for that!

 

Missed opportunity! 

 

"I, for one, would like to associate myself with Stretch's sentiments in no uncertain terms!"

post #76 of 113
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch View Post
 

 

Missed opportunity! 

 

"I, for one, would like to associate myself with Stretch's sentiments in no uncertain terms!"

As do I, at this particular point in time.

post #77 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch View Post
 

It is my understanding that we all strive to leverage our individual competencies in the linguistic arena to add value to the discussions here at the Sand Trap. It this organic, bottom-up approach from all of our valued contributors that makes the site so much more than just the sum of its parts and, ultimately, allows it to literally take flight. 


That was very impactful:mad:

post #78 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdl View Post

Oh man, all the buzzy versions of simply saying you called or emailed someone bug me too.  Perhaps just because I've got lots of professional (and family) contacts in the tech world, but the one I can't stand is "ping".  Yes, people really use that.  "Sounds good. Ping me."  "Oh, you should ping John."  Seriously.

I guess the users of these would defend them as umbrella terms covering talking in person, on the phone, emailing, texting, IMing, whatever.  But they just sound annoying and buzzy to me.  I could see getting sucked into using "connect" as a catch-all buzz word if it were in heavy use at my place of work.  But shoot me the day I use "ping" to mean anything other than using the ping utility in *nix.
I use ping but only in reference to IM. I think it's appropriate as an IM is, essentially, a "ping". Never heard anyone use it to refer to a call.
post #79 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunther View Post

I use ping but only in reference to IM. I think it's appropriate as an IM is, essentially, a "ping". Never heard anyone use it to refer to a call.

 

To be honest I mostly hear it used when the assumption is of electronic communication, usually email.  But I've definitely heard it used many times in a vague sort of sense just as a synonym for communicate with.  Still bugs me!

post #80 of 113

The most annoying phrase used on this forum is, "having said that."  The poster then proceeds to take the other side of the argument.  Way to commit!! What's wrong with but or however?

 

I work in Saudi where English is a second language.  Some of the email I get makes the members of this forum look like Ernie Freaking Hemingway.  Here's an email i got yesterday:

 

Mr. XXX

 

Please coordinate with Vendor along with contractor to have meeting for discuss above subject.

 

I don't speak much Arabic and the little I do speak is grammatically horrible.  I applaud all those who are conducting their business in a second language.  I also pay more attention to a well-worded post without the filler phrases, bad grammar, and not-even-close spelling.

post #81 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraiginKSA View Post
 

The most annoying phrase used on this forum is, "having said that."  The poster then proceeds to take the other side of the argument.  Way to commit!! What's wrong with but or however?

post #82 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty View Post
 

We are having a "significant rain event" at the moment.

I'm pretty sure we used to just call it "heavy rain".

 

 

Oh, I almost forgot. You no longer contact or call people, you "reach out" to them. :cry: 


Well yes, but saying heavy rain would indicate that a cup of rain water that you collect could tip the scales over a cup of not so "heavy rain" that you collected elsewhere.

post #83 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraiginKSA View Post
 

The most annoying phrase used on this forum is, "having said that."  The poster then proceeds to take the other side of the argument.  Way to commit!! What's wrong with but or however?

 

When expressing an opinion on a subject in the form argument supported by facts, it's useful to discuss opposing views and alternate conclusions.  You must acknowledge the opposing view in order to explain why the offered conclusion is more plausible.

 

Can we add "you're missing my point" to this list?  As frequently used on this forum, the phrase can mean "I disagree," "I lack the logical and reading comprehension skills to understand what you've written," or my personal favorite "I didn't bother reading what you've written, but since you didn't reply with 'I agree with you 100%' then you must still be wrong."

post #84 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by k-troop View Post
 

 

Can we add "you're missing my point" to this list?

Absolutely.  This almost always means "Huh, you still disagree with me?  Well, that can't be right, so you must not be understanding me" on this forum.  To the point that I'm very, very hesitant to ever use it, even when I think it may be the case.

 


 

Here's another one that I use a lot (just used it twice in one post too): "For the record."

 

I'm writing stuff online that is, unless I delete it within the next 10 minutes or so, going to live forever.  It's ALL "for the record" so there probably isn't any reason for me to add that little tidbit. :-P

post #85 of 113

Damn boys. :bugout:

 

Most of the things ya'll hate are the way I talk (and write).

 

Leaves me 3 choices:

 

1. Never comment at all.

 

2. Proof read everything to make sure it suits all members of TST community.

 

3. To Hell with it. I'll continue writing the way I please.

 

I think I'll just go with number 3 for now.

post #86 of 113
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MS256 View Post
 

Damn boys. :bugout:

 

Most of the things ya'll hate are the way I talk (and write).

 

Leaves me 3 choices:

 

1. Never comment at all.

 

2. Proof read everything to make sure it suits all members of TST community.

 

3. To Hell with it. I'll continue writing the way I please.

 

I think I'll just go with number 3 for now.

If you read the posts you'll find that it has nothing to do with spelling, typos or self expression.

It's about the follies of adopting ridiculous, meaningless and redundant "business speak".

post #87 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by zipazoid View Post

Last week a coworker said the me, "At the end of the day, it is what it is."

I never wanted to slap someone so hard in my life.

Another word for the shame file - 'Basically..."

Much like "Literally" it is overused and misused. It's word salad croutons, used to fill dead space with noise. Someone said to me once, "He literally swept me off my feet!" I said, with what, a broom? He metaphorically swept you off your feet. 
I'm not sure but I don't think that is a metaphor.
post #88 of 113

I can't stand the replacement of skill with "skill set" when referring to ONE skill. How can one skill be a set?! 

I work in an industry full of the not so bright so I often hear in meetings "incedences". When I have to sit through a long BS meeting I now count the occurrences, it helps me cope...

post #89 of 113

Heard the other day after an interview: "He came up short on the intrinsics."

 

Translation: "He's a dumbass." 

post #90 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch View Post
 

Heard the other day after an interview: "He came up short on the intrinsics."

 

Translation: "He's a dumbass." 

That's kinda like how, in the South, we say, "Bless your heart."

Translation: "I'm sorry you're so stupid."

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: The Grill Room
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The 19th Hole › The Grill Room › Going forward I am starting a shame file. That's me personally.