or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Tour Talk › 2014 Wyndham Championship Discussion Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

2014 Wyndham Championship Discussion Thread

post #1 of 46
Thread Starter 

No thread? - burn out from the PGA Championship?

This is truely a tweener event - between the last major & the FedEx cup events.

 

Only 10 of the top 50 in FedEx points are entered, and almost all of them from 109-180 are entered. Top 120 get to play next week.

post #2 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally Fairway View Post
 

No thread? - burn out from the PGA Championship?

This is truely a tweener event - between the last major & the FedEx cup events.

 

Pretty much, gonna be honest and just say I may not even watch one minute of it this weekend. I'll try to catch the finish. 

 

I'll be keeping tabs on Ernie, Paddy, and Gallacher though. I also always want Duval to do well but don't have much faith at this point. 

post #3 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crim View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally Fairway View Post
 

No thread? - burn out from the PGA Championship?

This is truely a tweener event - between the last major & the FedEx cup events.

 

Pretty much, gonna be honest and just say I may not even watch one minute of it this weekend. I'll try to catch the finish. 

 

I'll be keeping tabs on Ernie, Paddy, and Gallacher though. I also always want Duval to do well but don't have much faith at this point. 

Yep, same here. At the risk of being labelled a faux fan, Rory exhausted me over the last 18 days. Phew, but what a ride!

post #4 of 46
Yes. Severe "last major of the year" hangover. I don't particularly care too much about the playoffs either. August & September represent a dark dark time for me. a4_sad.gif
post #5 of 46
Took a quick look at the leaderboard. That McGirt always seem to play well in the first two days. 
 
Also looks like Webb Simpson birdied the first 4 holes...and then parred the Par 5, lol.
Currently -4 after 5. 
post #6 of 46
Really strong day for Webb. A good week should see him become a captains pick or a win would vault him into the top 9.
post #7 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJH999 View Post

Really strong day for Webb. A good week should see him become a captains pick or a win would vault him into the top 9.

The top 9's a done deal isn't it?

post #8 of 46
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wansteadimp View Post
 

The top 9's a done deal isn't it?

Yup - top nine are done after the PGA Championship. Everyone else is just playing from now until Cptn Watson makes his picks;  3 picks for Tom..(if Kuchar withdraws then Dufner is in, if Dufner withdraws it is Ryan Moore)...not sure what happens if the withdrawal happens after naming the 3 captain picks, but I'd guess if it is one of the 9 then it is the next highest rated player, not already on the team.

 

The Euros play through August to accumulate points;

a) top 4 on the Euro Points list plus

b) the 5 highest on the World points list (excluding those in a)

c) 3 Captains picks

 

currently the Euros are:

a) Rory, Stenson, DuBuisson, Sergio

b) Rose, Kaymer, Bjorn, Donaldson, G-Mac

post #9 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crim View Post
 
That McGirt always seem to play well in the first two days.

His scoring ave has actually been better over the weekend- he has had a few poor weekend rounds while in contention, but has also missed 10 cuts this season, so he doesn't always play well Thursday and Friday.  Today was his 4th 64 of the year (twice each during 1st and 3rd rounds) and he has shot 80+ twice (both Friday).  Seems inconsistent more than anything.

 

SCORING AVG. STATS RANK ADDITIONAL STATS
SCORING AVERAGE (ACTUAL) 70.55 42 TOT. STRKS - 5,644 TOT. RNDS. - 80
SCORING AVERAGE BEFORE CUT 70.88 77 TOT. STRKS - 3,686 TOT. RNDS. - 52
ROUND 3 SCORING AVERAGE 69.94 45 TOT. STRKS - 1,119 TOT. RNDS. - 16
FINAL ROUND SCORING AVERAGE 69.93 27 TOT. STRKS - 979 TOT. RNDS. - 14
post #10 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by MEfree View Post

His scoring ave has actually been better over the weekend- he has had a few poor weekend rounds while in contention, but has also missed 10 cuts this season, so he doesn't always play well Thursday and Friday.  Today was his 4th 64 of the year (twice each during 1st and 3rd rounds) and he has shot 80+ twice (both Friday).  Seems inconsistent more than anything.












































SCORING AVG. STATS RANK ADDITIONAL STATS
SCORING AVERAGE (ACTUAL) 70.55 42 TOT. STRKS - 5,644 TOT. RNDS. - 80
SCORING AVERAGE BEFORE CUT 70.88 77 TOT. STRKS - 3,686 TOT. RNDS. - 52
ROUND 3 SCORING AVERAGE 69.94 45 TOT. STRKS - 1,119 TOT. RNDS. - 16
FINAL ROUND SCORING AVERAGE 69.93 27 TOT. STRKS - 979 TOT. RNDS. - 14
You know, that's really interesting because he always seems to be around briefly, but he's never won or even played in a major. Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wansteadimp View Post

The top 9's a done deal isn't it?
Oh. Guess I forgot. He would be a sure captain's pick though.
post #11 of 46

Camillo in the lead

 

Golf Channel host are pronouncing it Vij-a-gas

 

that's doesn't sound right to me.....that's a couple "L's" I'd think it would pronounce as an L or a soft vowel sound.  Certainly not a J sound.

post #12 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by rehmwa View Post

Camillo in the lead

Golf Channel host are pronouncing it Vij-a-gas

that's doesn't sound right to me.....that's a couple "L's" I'd think it would pronounce as an L or a soft vowel sound.  Certainly not a J sound.
I always thought it was Vee A Gas. But announcers pronounce it Vee Jay Gas. I think Camilo even verified it was Vijay Gas. Interesting. Good to see him playing well again. Thought he would slip Anthony Kim style but he's worked his way back.
post #13 of 46
post #14 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallT View Post

http://inogolo.com/pronunciation/d145/Camilo_Villegas

They say the J is correct.

http://inogolo.com/query.php?qstr=Miguel+angel+Jimenez+&search=Search+Names

They get MAJ right, so it must be authoritative.

http://inogolo.com/pronunciation/d2008/Louis_Oosthuizen

Not sure they got Oosthuizen right.
Woooost Hiiiizen. Not quite the same thing. Very glad it's not Jimenethhhhh. That was driving me nuts.
post #15 of 46

Its funny about Oosthuizen. Hes been known to agree with any pronunciation of his name when asked. Quite a modest guy.

post #16 of 46

this is one of the oldest tournaments on the tour and it is in severe decline even here locally where it is held.  was previously played in the spring (the week following the verizon heritage so two weeks after the Masters).  in 2003 it then moved to its current spot on the calendar resulting in drawing less names as well as spectators.  local grocery stores are selling two "any day" tickets for the price of one (like 40 bucks total or something) trying to get people to come to it.  just a really bad time of the year...school is starting back in the area here in the next week or two, families are either taking last beach trips of the summer or already spent discretionary income and football which is king here in the south is starting to get cranked up.  the event, like a lot of others on the tour could really benefit if a "1 in 5" rule was enacted, requiring all players to play in every event on tour at least once every five years. 

post #17 of 46
Thread Starter 

Stuard having quite a front side to start the day @ -5 through 8 to climb to the top of the leaderboard (no jinx)

post #18 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJH999 View Post


I always thought it was Vee A Gas. But announcers pronounce it Vee Jay Gas. I think Camilo even verified it was Vijay Gas. Interesting. Good to see him playing well again. Thought he would slip Anthony Kim style but he's worked his way back.

 

I suspect it's actually a MUCH softer "J" sound then like Vee "Zyay" Gas

 

My bad, I'll try not to cringe then.

 

I think most people will just say "yeah, that's right" when people even get close

Still better than the twenty different versions of "Angel" we heard last year.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Tour Talk
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Tour Talk › 2014 Wyndham Championship Discussion Thread