or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Pro Shop › Clubs, Grips, Shafts, Fitting › Fitted for a driver ( finally )
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Fitted for a driver ( finally )

post #1 of 4
Thread Starter 

Had my fitting with golftec on the weekend.

 

Went through my irons and had them all flattened 3 degrees

 

The biggest thing I wanted to get checked was my driver. I hit it very, very low

 

I hit 10 or so shots with my VRS Covert with the results ( averages )below:

 

Ball Speed: 157.8

Club Speed: 115.8

Carry Distance: 239.2

Total Distance: 287.4

Launch Angle:5.8

Clustering Diameter: .90

Back Spin: 2085

Descent Angle: 230

 

As you can see, distance is terrible when related to clubhead and ball speed ( although it does roll out further, launch is only 5.9* ( lol ) backspin is O.K, descent is crazy low at 20*.

 

So it recommended I try the Cobra Bio-Cell Plus ( 11* ), the Ping G30 SFT ( 12* ) and the Taylormade SLDR ( 12* )

 

After hitting with all three ( 15 or so shots each ) it came to the conclusion that the SLDR was the best fit. Which I loved as it felt the nicest when hitting.

 

SLDR mean results below:

 

Ball Speed: 148

Club Speed: 108

Carry Distance: 265.8

Total Distance: 289.8

Launch Angle: 13.8

Clustering Diameter: 52.5 

Back Spin: 2250

Descent Angle: 39.1

 

So with less clubhead speed ( tired from swinging drivers for 45 minutes? ) I was getting more distance, better ball flight and better feel.

 

So after my fitting, went down the street to a golf trade in place, traded in my Covert and my old RBZ hybrid for the Taylormade SLDR X-Stiff 12* + cash

 

Hitting the range tonight and can not wait to get to the course!

post #2 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kieran123 View Post
 

Had my fitting with golftec on the weekend.

 

Went through my irons and had them all flattened 3 degrees

 

The biggest thing I wanted to get checked was my driver. I hit it very, very low

 

I hit 10 or so shots with my VRS Covert with the results ( averages )below:

 

Ball Speed: 157.8

Club Speed: 115.8

Carry Distance: 239.2

Total Distance: 287.4

Launch Angle:5.8

Clustering Diameter: .90

Back Spin: 2085

Descent Angle: 230

 

As you can see, distance is terrible when related to clubhead and ball speed ( although it does roll out further, launch is only 5.9* ( lol ) backspin is O.K, descent is crazy low at 20*.

 

 

Your swings with your VRS,

 

Smash Factor = 1.35. That is pretty bad. You want 1.45 or above. At 115, you should be getting 165 mph ball speed or more. 

Also, the launch angle is WAY TOO LOW. Not sure what degree your VRS is, but I bet it isn't sub 8 degrees. I would think you are taking loft off your driver with your swing and hitting down on the ball. 

 

I would recommend learning to hit up on the ball. 

 

Yea, if you got 115 mph speed you should be near 280-290 carry distance. 

 

Backspin is strange, hitting down like that you should be having a lot of backspin, but you might just have too little loft to even produce that much. 

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kieran123 View Post
 

SLDR mean results below:

 

Ball Speed: 148

Club Speed: 108

Carry Distance: 265.8

Total Distance: 289.8

Launch Angle: 13.8

Clustering Diameter: 52.5 

Back Spin: 2250

Descent Angle: 39.1

 

So with less clubhead speed ( tired from swinging drivers for 45 minutes? ) I was getting more distance, better ball flight and better feel.

 

So after my fitting, went down the street to a golf trade in place, traded in my Covert and my old RBZ hybrid for the Taylormade SLDR X-Stiff 12* + cash

 

Hitting the range tonight and can not wait to get to the course!

 

Your SLDR results

 

Smash Factor = 1.37, you can still improve on your contact. 13.8 launch with 2250 is much better. 

 

Yea, hit up more, and improve your contact. You are loosing A LOT of distance!! 

post #3 of 4
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by saevel25 View Post
 

 

 

Your swings with your VRS,

 

Smash Factor = 1.35. That is pretty bad. You want 1.45 or above. At 115, you should be getting 165 mph ball speed or more. 

Also, the launch angle is WAY TOO LOW. Not sure what degree your VRS is, but I bet it isn't sub 8 degrees. I would think you are taking loft off your driver with your swing and hitting down on the ball. 

 

I would recommend learning to hit up on the ball. 

 

Yea, if you got 115 mph speed you should be near 280-290 carry distance. 

 

Backspin is strange, hitting down like that you should be having a lot of backspin, but you might just have too little loft to even produce that much. 

 

 

VRS is set to 12.5* :D

 

In the videos - I do have A LOT of forward shaft lean at impact, and am delofting the club as a result.

 

Something to keep working on.....

post #4 of 4
Thread Starter 

Played my first round with it.

 

10 of 13 fairways. I used it on all but one hole just because I wanted to see how it performed.

 

It's so much better it's not even funny. My three misses were roughly 10 feet off the fairway.

 

It;s higher, longer, straighter and feels amazing. Maybe it's the honeymoon phase but it was night and day

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Clubs, Grips, Shafts, Fitting
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Pro Shop › Clubs, Grips, Shafts, Fitting › Fitted for a driver ( finally )