or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Golf Talk › Invited to play at a private club -- Etiquette?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Invited to play at a private club -- Etiquette? - Page 4

post #55 of 73
Shorty do you tip at all ever?
post #56 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave2512 View Post


No everything actually happens as told. I get treated very well at the places I frequent for a variety of reasons. You wouldn't understand.
I agree. I tend to over tip but make it back two fold with the amount of stuff I get comped in my various haunts, especially bars where I'm treated so well some other patrons have mistaken me for a part-owner.
a3_biggrin.gif
post #57 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by inthecup View Post

Shorty do you tip at all ever?

Yes I do.

Waiters are actually paid quite well here, but if a bill is, say, $83, you'd always round it up to $90, for example.

What I object to is the expectation that people know your order and are paid for opening doors, and how people seem to enjoy having people do simple things for them that they can and should do themselves.

 

BTW - your explanation a few posts back was very reasonable. I know where you're coming from.

post #58 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave2512 View Post
 


No everything actually happens as told. I get treated very well at the places I frequent for a variety of reasons. You wouldn't understand.

I totally understand. It would seem to be like a stereotype of what we see in Caddyshack. What do you mean by being "treated well"? Having people treat you properly because it's worth it financially? Do others get treated poorly?

 

I find it sad that you have the expectation that others kowtow to you because you tip well. You seem to have a pretty entitled attitude.

I understand that it's the culture and that's the way it's done, but you seem to revel in your status -  "I get treated like the mayor of the course", for example.

I want to be treated like everyone else, not like the mayor ( who has just been forced to resign for corruption BTW B-))

I don't want special treatment. I don't want to be treated better than anyone else.

post #59 of 73

I must be lucky with my golf club.  There, everyone is treated fairly well, and in equal fashion.   The amount and frequency of tips don't seem to matter much on how one is treated.   And I fully expect that from any service organization.   If you must tip more generously than others to get special treatment, what does that say about you and/or the golf course? 

post #60 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty View Post

I totally understand. It would seem to be like a stereotype of what we see in Caddyshack. What do you mean by being "treated well"? Having people treat you properly because it's worth it financially? Do others get treated poorly?

I find it sad that you have the expectation that others kowtow to you because you tip well. You seem to have a pretty entitled attitude.
I understand that it's the culture and that's the way it's done, but you seem to revel in your status -  "I get treated like the mayor of the course", for example.
I want to be treated like everyone else, not like the mayor ( who has just been forced to resign for corruption BTW f1_cool.gif )
I don't want special treatment. I don't want to be treated better than anyone else.
I think you're putting a fair amount of spin on @Dave2512's post to fit some preconceived notions. I haven't read any of this thread beyond a few post above my entrance to the fray so maybe I'm missing out on some context?
post #61 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty View Post

I find it sad that you have the expectation that others kowtow to you because you tip well. You seem to have a pretty entitled attitude.

Reading Dave's post it came across to me as he got treated that way not because he expected it, but because it happens. He didn't appear to expect that they know his order, he just stated that they did and, because they knew it, they would give it to him before he would have to order since it was the same every time.

post #62 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty View Post
 

Is this supposed to be satire? I hope it is.

 

Why is it so hard for you to accept that different places and different cultures have different ways of doing thing?  Are you so provincial that you think the Aussie way is the only way?

post #63 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave2512 View Post
 


No everything actually happens as told. I get treated very well at the places I frequent for a variety of reasons. You wouldn't understand.

 

I think was questioning the six pack of coors light :beer:

post #64 of 73

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moppy View Post

 

I have never played with a caddie before, and I was really wondering about that.

 

 

Depending on the club, caddies fall into one of three categories: college/high school students, retired, unemployed workers, full-time caddies.

• The college/high school caddies are self explanatory and will probably be back to school.

• Retired caddies are guys, usually in their 60's, and are trying to supplement their retirement income.

• Unemployed workers are inevitable because of our economy, and these guys are between jobs and have a need to make a few bucks.

• The full-time caddies are the ones who do this for a living. Man of them caddie 12 months a year, going south for the winter and north in the summer.

 

Any caddie you get can either be good, mediocre, or bad, regardless of their category. 

 

Here is a synopsis of an earlier post I had about caddies....

• If you play in inclement weather, add a little extra to the tip

• If you happen to have a caddie carrying two bags, offer to rake some of your bunkers

• Tip according to performance. Judge the caddie on how quickly they get to your ball, proper distances they give you to the pin, green reading, and demeanor on the course

 

Caddies are valuable assets, especially if you have never played the course before. Enjoy the day.

post #65 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by dfreuter415 View Post

 

........ unemployed workers .........

Hehe.  I get what you mean though.  Unemployed professionals trying to make ends meet kind of thing??  Still sounds funny.

 

Maybe I should instead make fun of your "one of THREE categories" statement. :-P

post #66 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdl View Post
 

If the club really is as snooty sat the OP fears, I'd like to think it's a no-cash club.  Wandering around the club dropping $5s or $10s or $20s on all the service staff seems pretty gauche new money to me.  Seems much more in the spirit of pretending you're a British aristocrat with a (very stiff and formal) Victorian sense of decorum and manners and tons of servants around waiting on you to simply pay bills directly to the club every time period and have the club pay the staff a living wage directly.   :-P

 

But on tipping, I agree with @MS256, and others.  I think it's a dumb American custom to allow people to be paid almost nothing (who can live on $17.04 a day at American cost of living), have cheaper advertised prices, and then force service staff to rely on the whim of customers to make a decent living.  But given that is the custom, I'm always very aware of when I'm being served by someone whose living depends on tips, and I tip generously.

This exactly, my club forbids tipping or cash payments to anyone, except caddies.  In fact, if you're caught tipping you could be suspended and kicked out for multiple offenses.

 

The club goes out of it's way to ensure all members experience the same quality of service and eliminating tipping was deemed the best method to avoid favoritism.  Caddies are paid $40 if they forecaddie, and $80 if they carry the bag  per golfer and the cash is handed directly to the caddie, the club doesn't take a cut.

post #67 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty View Post
 

I totally understand. It would seem to be like a stereotype of what we see in Caddyshack. What do you mean by being "treated well"? Having people treat you properly because it's worth it financially? Do others get treated poorly?

 

I find it sad that you have the expectation that others kowtow to you because you tip well. You seem to have a pretty entitled attitude.

I understand that it's the culture and that's the way it's done, but you seem to revel in your status -  "I get treated like the mayor of the course", for example.

I want to be treated like everyone else, not like the mayor ( who has just been forced to resign for corruption BTW B-))

I don't want special treatment. I don't want to be treated better than anyone else.

I get what you're saying and mostly feel the same way.  I don't tip people for special treatment, I do so because I want them to know I appreciate the effort they put in to make my experience better.  It's a fine line though because quite often people that are made to feel appreciated will go out of their way more for you than someone else that shorts them (pun not fully intended).

post #68 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty View Post
 

I totally understand. It would seem to be like a stereotype of what we see in Caddyshack. What do you mean by being "treated well"? Having people treat you properly because it's worth it financially? Do others get treated poorly?

 

I find it sad that you have the expectation that others kowtow to you because you tip well. You seem to have a pretty entitled attitude.

I understand that it's the culture and that's the way it's done, but you seem to revel in your status -  "I get treated like the mayor of the course", for example.

I want to be treated like everyone else, not like the mayor ( who has just been forced to resign for corruption BTW B-))

I don't want special treatment. I don't want to be treated better than anyone else.

Yo Shorty,

Look mate, some folks get treated better cuz they are fun to be around and well damn it, people like me. So the way I see it, you have the sense of entitlement. You feel you can be grumpy and boorish, yet get treated like a guy guy like me.

post #69 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiballs View Post
 

Yo Shorty,

Look mate, some folks get treated better cuz they are fun to be around and well damn it, people like me. So the way I see it, you have the sense of entitlement. You feel you can be grumpy and boorish, yet get treated like a guy guy like me.

Perhaps once I have translated this into English I will have more of a clue what your point is.

I am talking about people being treated a certain way BECAUSE of their tipping, not because they're great guys.

post #70 of 73

Lets say there are two regulars at a restaurant.  One is  known to be a good tipper and one is known to be a bad tipper.

Do you think the waitstaff might pay more attention to the good tipper on average?

post #71 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by inthecup View Post
 

Lets say there are two regulars at a restaurant.  One is  known to be a good tipper and one is known to be a bad tipper.

Do you think the waitstaff might pay more attention to the good tipper on average?

We're way :offtopic: right now.

 


 

I went to my friends CC yesterday with the families to swim and play tennis.  The etiquette is .... that I trust if there is anything I need to know, my friend will tell me.  For example, I wondered if the club would care if I showed up in flip flops, but figured that my friend would warn me if anything like that were the case.  He didn't and it wasn't.

 

And worst case, if it was the case and he forgot to tell me, chances are somebody there lets me (or him) know politely, and I'm perhaps slightly emabarrassed until I have my shoes on, and I know better for next time.

 

No need to overthink this.

post #72 of 73
Good tipper unless the bad tipper is a chronic complainer and management wants him off their back. Sad that the squeaky wheel gets the grease sometimes,

Good tipping has two benefits. First it helps people who usually have less than minimum wage due to tipping. Second, it does get you better service or freebies sometimes. If it doesn't, you should never hold it against people. More tips isn't a demand for better service, It's a reward for doing a good job first and foremost.

I also wouldn't mind paying more for food if it went to the servers and staff. My golf club has an automatic 20% for service which is too low IMO.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Golf Talk
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Golf Talk › Invited to play at a private club -- Etiquette?