or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Golf Talk › HBO Real Sports: The Future of Golf
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HBO Real Sports: The Future of Golf

post #1 of 39
Thread Starter 

I think this was the piece everyone was talking about last month.

 

 

post #2 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevets88 View Post

I think this was the piece everyone was talking about last month.


 

That was really well put together.. I wouldn't mind trying out the 15 inch holes now either.. I wouldn't mind trying out the soccer golf either!

They are right, the game is hard and it takes a certain type of person to want to play and stick to it.. I can't really answer why input my self through the agony of playing, except maybe I take relief in knowing that when I do well eventually I'll feel like I accomplished something!
post #3 of 39

Many of us may take the position of Curtis Strange as well as being critical of the 15 inch cups,,,when in fact the soccer golf and 15 inch cups are to attract new golfers, not existing ones..

post #4 of 39

Golfs already too easy.  Soccer Golf sounds cool . .but I would keep the cups the same size and, instead, add a goalie. 

 

IMO - making golf easier will never work.  Golf is great BECAUSE it's so hard.  If you always hit the ball where you wanted, it would take away about half of the game. 

 

In terms of saving time and money . .I'm all for lower greens fees, unconventional courses and 9 (or 6 or even 3) hole rounds . . but the game is fine the way it is. 

 

Yeah . .some people try golf and say "this is too hard . .I quit!" . .we don't need those people, anyway.

post #5 of 39

I agree, i think it should stay the was it is . . .and i am a 23/24 handicap.  Last summer i couldn't break 100 I took a couple lessons played more and shoot in the 90's now and broke 90 one time this summer.  I get it that golf doesn't really work with the add water and stir generation.  But changing the game doesn't make sense to me.  Most people can't hit a 90mph fastball so they are not going to tell pitchers to throw slower!!!

post #6 of 39

Well, things here and around Los Angeles are not like most places in the USA. Maybe sales are down a tad at some courses, but the Muni's are Packed, even some driving ranges have waiting times. maybe it's because our area is so over crowded, who knows.

 

When I was playing 4 to 5 times a week from 1994 until 2003, the above conditions for the most part didn't exist, sure some public tracks had crowds, but nothing like today. 

 

Hopefully, someone can somehow find a way to grow the sport in those areas badly affected by the number of people not wanting to golf any more, so if takes a Mark King, ect to do that, more power to em.

post #7 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris08527 View Post

But changing the game doesn't make sense to me.  Most people can't hit a 90mph fastball so they are not going to tell pitchers to throw slower!!!

You are correct! ... They created softball ... In which millions play ... Softball is BIG business ... There are softball complexes all across the US. Someone had to say ... Let's change the game up a bit ... Allow different equipment, maybe shorten the base path, etc ... When slow play became an issue ... Someone must have said let's change the count ... You come to bat it is already 1/1 ... I am sure there were traditionalist that scuffed at the very concept.

Note: not saying they should do that to golf, but I am from the camp that says let's hear ideas ... 15 inch cup does not excitement me ...

Relaxed rules sounded good, but I don't total agree with the ones they have picked ...

I like the tee it forward effort and I like courses that number the tee boxes rather than the traditional red, white, black ...

I also understand the efforts and ideas being discussed now will not apply to a large majority on a golf forum ... We play golf and love it, I play once a week or more ... So I am not part of the target group they are trying to reach. I also would not be surprised that most here, would not agree with any modifications.

Like hammer I am not seeing golf dying in my area ... But I live in a golfing area.
post #8 of 39

i just don't think a 15 inch cup and all of a sudden there is gonna be there big golf boom, i live in NJ and there is plenty of golf and most of the local public tracks are hard to get a decent tee time . . .

post #9 of 39
Good segment. Traditionalists need to loosen the grip. When I play a pick up game of basketball, I'm not playing 12 minute quarters with referees. When I play a friendly, I don't play 45 minute halves with extra time. When I play football, I don't play 60 minutes with instant replay, and SUDDEN DEATH (*George Carlin voice*). If I want to have a catch with my brother, I dont call 16 of my friends and play nine innings. My point is, golf needs an immediate "elastic clause " injection handed down by the USGA - or the game will continue to circle the drain.
post #10 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous 273 View Post

Good segment. Traditionalists need to loosen the grip. When I play a pick up game of basketball, I'm not playing 12 minute quarters with referees. When I play a friendly, I don't play 45 minute halves with extra time. When I play football, I don't play 60 minutes with instant replay, and SUDDEN DEATH (*George Carlin voice*). If I want to have a catch with my brother, I dont call 16 of my friends and play nine innings. My point is, golf needs an immediate "elastic clause " injection handed down by the USGA - or the game will continue to circle the drain.

AGREE AGREE AGREE 1512% dude you nailed it!!! If there is one problem I see with any of this is a game of pick up hoops at a school yard is free, catch with a friend is free, friendly soccer games are free. Unfortunately golf courses aren't free and sometimes its hard to get people to want to play outside of what they know. I think if courses made some kind of "fun" leagues for people to join where we got to play under different rules or scoring systems then maybe some of the popularity would come back. Have set days and times for these leagues or even take the 9 hole course and dedicate it to this style of golf for these uninvented leagues.

post #11 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous 273 View Post

Good segment. Traditionalists need to loosen the grip. When I play a pick up game of basketball, I'm not playing 12 minute quarters with referees. When I play a friendly, I don't play 45 minute halves with extra time. When I play football, I don't play 60 minutes with instant replay, and SUDDEN DEATH (*George Carlin voice*). If I want to have a catch with my brother, I dont call 16 of my friends and play nine innings. My point is, golf needs an immediate "elastic clause " injection handed down by the USGA - or the game will continue to circle the drain.

What you fail to recognize is that the USGA doesn't care if you play a "pick up" round of golf, nor does anyone else as long as you're not playing in a tournament or submitting your score to apply towards your handicap.

 

Most if not all the people on here (including me) that tout the importance of following the rules only do so with regards to tournament, money and handicap play.  We all support hanging out with buddies and hitting golf balls as long as you maintain pace of play and don't injure anyone.

post #12 of 39

A quick suggestion could be play in teams of 2 in this uninvented fun league 9 holes. Basically you have team 1 and team 2 now you are allowed to drop your ball 2 club lengths back from a member of the opposing team twice per player and they can do the same as long as it is outside the 100 yard stake and only once per hole. If all balls are in the fairway, no drops even if you duff your drive and it stays in the fairway. Only 1 stroke penalty on all shots. dropping by opposing teams ball is free, no stroke. you can also drop by your teammates ball twice in a round and total team score goes towards team win. Just spitballing here nothing set in stone but i think it would draw interest. Obviously it would need a few more rules but thats what I came up with off the top of my head.

post #13 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownCoast View Post
 

A quick suggestion could be play in teams of 2 in this uninvented fun league 9 holes. Basically you have team 1 and team 2 now you are allowed to drop your ball 2 club lengths back from a member of the opposing team twice per player and they can do the same as long as it is outside the 100 yard stake and only once per hole. If all balls are in the fairway, no drops even if you duff your drive and it stays in the fairway. Only 1 stroke penalty on all shots. dropping by opposing teams ball is free, no stroke. you can also drop by your teammates ball twice in a round and total team score goes towards team win. Just spitballing here nothing set in stone but i think it would draw interest. Obviously it would need a few more rules but thats what I came up with off the top of my head.

Why not just have courses run more "best ball" scrambles and eliminate the entire concept of individual scoring.  It would allow poor golfers to hit shots under the best conditions and keep them moving through the course.  When I first started playing, I liked scrambles because I could hang out playing golf with buddies and it didn't matter how bad I played. 

post #14 of 39

I would check out a top golf facility

 

It looks like fun...like cosmic bowling for golf

post #15 of 39

What a bunch of corporate tripe. Let's grow the game so we can make more money. Like so many pastimes, the rush to profit from peoples leisure activities, is both crass and fascinating. Who would ever have imagined televised fishing tournaments? Just like the blues is to rockin' roll, golf may spawn a wide variety of leisure time genres.  

post #16 of 39

Golf is dying. Everyone is leaving golf. The sky is fallling.

 

Well golf seems to be doing just fine in my neck of the woods.

 

There is a 8 to 9 year waiting list for full time men play at Capilano Golf and Country Club and that is with an estimated initiation fee of $90,000 give or take $10,000.

 

At my club there is a wait list of 30 for full time men play and the wait list is full for intermediate (under 35 and over 21) men play. Now we are not as expensive as our initiation fee is only $50,000.

 

Within the greater Vancouver area it is tough to get a tee time in the morning or early afternoon at any of the public courses.

 

Getting onto the best municipal course in Vancouver, Fraserview, is nearly impossible any day of the week.

 

Sure some of the golf manufactures like Taylormade and Callaway may be struggling but they are the cause of their own demise due to their short product cycles.

 

Golf may be contracting in some areas of N.A. but it is not going to die.

 

So no more talk of 15 inch holes or what ever to make golf easier.

 

It is because golf is hard that so many of us are so addicted to it.

 

I think it is the perfect game for us type A personalities.

post #17 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by ay33660 View Post
 

Golf is dying. Everyone is leaving golf. The sky is fallling.

 

Well golf seems to be doing just fine in my neck of the woods.

 

There is a 8 to 9 year waiting list for full time men play at Capilano Golf and Country Club and that is with an estimated initiation fee of $90,000 give or take $10,000.

 

At my club there is a wait list of 30 for full time men play and the wait list is full for intermediate (under 35 and over 21) men play. Now we are not as expensive as our initiation fee is only $50,000.

 

Within the greater Vancouver area it is tough to get a tee time in the morning or early afternoon at any of the public courses.

 

Getting onto the best municipal course in Vancouver, Fraserview, is nearly impossible any day of the week.

 

Sure some of the golf manufactures like Taylormade and Callaway may be struggling but they are the cause of their own demise due to their short product cycles.

 

Golf may be contracting in some areas of N.A. but it is not going to die.

 

So no more talk of 15 inch holes or what ever to make golf easier.

 

It is because golf is hard that so many of us are so addicted to it.

 

I think it is the perfect game for us type A personalities.

No one is saying change the game of golf, I think what Infamous was saying and what I agreed with is like baseball, softball was spawned from that. People that play baseball don't think the game is ruined because softball exists and because softball exists that might get people into baseball at a later time. 

 

Only $50,000 for fees?!?! By the sounds of it you are happy with golf being a country club sport. One person made a suggestion if 15 inch cups, thats not going to be the new regulation for golf cups thats just going to be a starting point. when kids play baseball the starting point was tee ball and worked their way up to fastball. Soccer has indoor soccer and 6 on 6. No one thinks that the most popular game in the world is ruined because of the variations and with indoor the rules are quite different. Continuous subs, sub on the fly, a penalty box, boards and smaller nets to name a few differences. 

 

So if people would like a 15 inch cup or a different type/variation of golf, why should you care? No one is saying this is how golf is going to be, but a variation of the game in a simpler form to maybe attract new people.

post #18 of 39

 I wonder what distance from a 15" hole is a near gimme?  I'm thinking that it would be near impossible to 3 putt (unless the putting surface was mammoth) to a 15" hole or is that mistaken? 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Golf Talk
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Golf Talk › HBO Real Sports: The Future of Golf