or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Golf Talk › Caddy Camp Article - NYT
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Caddy Camp Article - NYT

post #1 of 6
Thread Starter 

At Camp Sankaty Head, Young Caddies Learn to Carry That Weight

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/23/sports/golf/23caddies.html?_r=0

 

 
Quote:
Cary Hazlegrove for The New York Times

The view from the ninth hole at Sankaty Head Golf Club on Nantucket, where about 60 boys ages 13 to 19 work as caddies over the summer.

 
Published: July 22, 2009

NANTUCKET, Mass. — At Sankaty Head Golf Club, a circa 1923 links course that features a working lighthouse and hugs the shoreline in Siasconset, some wait a dozen years to join a membership roster that includes Jack Welch, the former chairman and chief executive of General Electric, and Bob Wright, the former chairman of NBC Universal.

 

post #2 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by boogielicious View Post
 

At Camp Sankaty Head, Young Caddies Learn to Carry That Weight

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/23/sports/golf/23caddies.html?_r=0

 

I wish more clubs had caddie programs, but golfers don't like to walk (and those who do often don't wish to pay $60+ for a caddie).

 

Some of the most rewarding times I've had on the golf course have been when I've helped a player.

post #3 of 6
Thread Starter 

I would love to play a round having a caddy.  I like walking.

post #4 of 6

Caddies are mandatory , by law, here in Thailand. Many golfers dislike this law and would prefer to pull their own trolley.  Even if you hire a buggy, the caddy may drive it for you.   Precisely why such a law exists i can only guess. Common tip is 300 TB, which is US$10.   Caddy fee about the same.  For me, the cost of the caddy = 550 and the green fee = 800TB.   Have never seen a caddy here  carry a bag.  Nor any golfer, as the caddy then would only carry the umbrella. 

post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by iacas View Post

I wish more clubs had caddie programs, but golfers don't like to walk (and those who do often don't wish to pay $60+ for a caddie).

Some of the most rewarding times I've had on the golf course have been when I've helped a player.

I caddied for 3 years as a kid. Very rewarding. Agree, there's no better way to play the game either. I wish you could find more caddie programs....
post #6 of 6
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by joekelly View Post
 

Caddies are mandatory , by law, here in Thailand. Many golfers dislike this law and would prefer to pull their own trolley.  Even if you hire a buggy, the caddy may drive it for you.   Precisely why such a law exists i can only guess. Common tip is 300 TB, which is US$10.   Caddy fee about the same.  For me, the cost of the caddy = 550 and the green fee = 800TB.   Have never seen a caddy here  carry a bag.  Nor any golfer, as the caddy then would only carry the umbrella. 

 

I would love that!

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by David in FL View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by iacas View Post

I wish more clubs had caddie programs, but golfers don't like to walk (and those who do often don't wish to pay $60+ for a caddie).

Some of the most rewarding times I've had on the golf course have been when I've helped a player.

I caddied for 3 years as a kid. Very rewarding. Agree, there's no better way to play the game either. I wish you could find more caddie programs....

I never caddied, but was a house boy at a country club.  I used to sneak the caddies left over cake from weddings.  :-)

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Golf Talk
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Golf Talk › Caddy Camp Article - NYT